Author Topic: Dick Clay on the current Tigers  (Read 1034 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Dick Clay on the current Tigers
« on: May 05, 2005, 03:57:15 AM »
Premiership Players Club Round 7 Preview: Richmond v Carlton
4:19:22 PM Wed 4 May, 2005

Dick Clay enjoyed an outstanding career with Richmond from 1966 to '76 which was highlighted by playing in four premierships under legendary coach Tom Hafey (in '67, '69, '73 and '74).

He played 213 games and kicked 80 goals after being recruited from Kyabram. The strong-marking, long-kicking Clay was a versatile footballer. He played formed a feared centre-line with Billy Barrot and Francis Bourke during the flag-winning seasons of '67 and '69 and later became a close-checking full-back as the Tigers roared in '73 and '74. The Victorian representative later coached Prahran in the old VFA.

"It's tremendous to see Richmond playing with so much confidence at the moment. Coach Terry Wallace must be thrilled with the discipline and enthusiasm being displayed by all of his players. Full credit to Terry, who spends many hours in preparation for the coming game. A major success for Terry is his game plans that have minimised the side's turnovers.

"The fitness levels of the players are outstanding. The Tigers have been displaying plenty of endurance which has enabled them to run out games which is so important. They certainly finished with plenty of dash to eclipse Port Adelaide in Matthew Richardson's 200th game at Telstra Dome last Sunday.

"I believe Richmond has a wonderful opportunity to keep the winning feeling flowing against Carlton at the MCG this Saturday.

"The forward-line is functioning extremely well with Matthew Richardson and Nathan Brown leading the way with 19 goals apiece. They are in equal second position on the AFL goalkicking list behind St Kilda's Fraser Gehrig on 23 goals.

"Nathan Brown is a classy player and he displayed all of his skills to kick six goals against the Power.
"Kayne Pettifer chipped in with four goals in a fine performance.

"There's plenty of options when you throw in tall timber in Greg Stafford and Troy Simmonds and opportunists at ground level like Andrew Krakouer, Brett Deledio and Richard Tambling, who'll never forget his first game (against Port Adelaide).

"Ruckman Trent Knobel continues to perform well at the centre bounces and around the ground.

"I'm delighted with the stunning emergence of Shane Tuck - son of the legendary Michael Tuck. He is enjoying some great form and his attcak on the footy is second to none. He has been combining well with Greg Tivendale, Mark Coughlan, Kane Johnson and Wayne Campbell. Tivendale is such a penetrating kick which can quickly send the Tigers into attack. He kicks it a long way.

"The backline is hardly putting a foot wrong with Andrew Kellaway and Darren Gaspar leading the way. Joel Bowden, Chris Newman and Mark Chaffey have also been in terrific form.

"I'm certain they'll make Carlton work hard for every goal at the MCG this Saturday.
"Richmond have already equalled their number of wins for 2004. I'm sure they'll be singing that famous theme song again after disposing of the Blues.

"I always enjoyed playing against Carlton. We enjoyed a bit of a love-hate relationship, but the respect for one another was always there. Both sides played with desire and passion."

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=aflfocus&spg=display&articleid=200461
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd