Author Topic: Royce's knees / new former players fund  (Read 922 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Royce's knees / new former players fund
« on: May 05, 2005, 04:00:06 AM »
Players help footy's heroes
By Caroline Wilson and Michael Gleeson
May 5, 2005

The AFL and its present-day players will establish a multi-million-dollar welfare fund to assist former footballers who have fallen on hard times through injury.

In a historic decision led by the AFL Players' Association, the competition's 600 listed footballers will contribute $2 million next season to set up a fund for retired players unable to afford medical treatment.

It will also help those whose post-football careers have been cut short because of injury. Psychological assistance could also be provided.

Further funding of up to $3 million is being considered by the AFL as part of a potential increase in next year's total player payments to help a proportion of the 7000 living former league players.

The move was inspired by former Richmond ruckman Brendon Gale, who recently took over as chief executive of the players' union.

Gale has reportedly been disturbed by the number of former AFL heroes who have turned to the players' association for help - many of whom have been refused in the past.

Gale and his executive, which includes Collingwood captain Nathan Buckley and Kangaroos dual premiership defender Glenn Archer, will meet today to discuss the fund, which is also expected to involve corporate sponsorship and ongoing contributions from players.

Archer told The Age: "We make so much money these days. Our average wage is $150,000 and you look at the older guys and many of us wouldn't be fit to carry their bags.

"All the players are pretty much behind it, especially when you look at all the hard work the past players put in over the years and a lot of them can't even afford private health insurance."

As well as talking to potential sponsors, Gale is negotiating with the AFL to increase next year's salary cap to help build up the fund. Although next year's total player payments had been frozen, the competition could now change that agreement and award pay rises to its players, a percentage of which would go to the former players.

Gale, who is also monitoring the next round of broadcast rights negotiations, will also commit a percentage of any monetary increase to helping retired players who are struggling. The players' association hopes to lift the fund to $5 million. In the past, assistance has been left to the clubs, which haven't publicised financial help.

Last year, Collingwood quietly organised and funded operations for two of its former greats - Len Thompson, who underwent back surgery, and Des Tuddenham, who had a knee replacement. The Magpies also provided accounting assistance to Phil Manassa's business.

"For a long time you think you're alone in being in pain but you're one of many," said Thomson, 57, a Brownlow Medallist and five-time club champion. "For 10 years I spent each day feeling as though a bread and butter knife had been stuck into my shoulder blades.

"For months after the operation I would look over my shoulder and I finally realised I was looking for the pain. It just destroys you. It's impossible to concentrate but no one wants to hear you whinge and whine. I think what the players are doing is outstanding."

Former Richmond champion Royce Hart is still waiting for knee surgery. Richmond had offered to help its favourite son, who retired to the farm in Tasmania, but as yet the work has not been done.

"I will need operations at some stage. I am going to get one replaced but because they only last about 10 years they don't do that operation until the last minute, so I will keep going until the doctor taps me on the shoulder," Hart said.

"Everyone keeps telling me I got help. I was reading in newspapers that they were going to do this and set up funds and everything but I haven't received a thing from them."

As recently as last year, retired Geelong footballer Jason Snell abandoned his legal claim against the players' association insurers, choosing to move on in his new career as general manager of corporate recruiting firm Final Five. His bid for a former players' injury fund was rejected by the former players' association administration.

The 27-year-old former Cat was only 23 when he landed awkwardly after taking a mark against Melbourne at the MCG.

Not only did the incident end a promising career but after several operations Snell had his foot fused and is unable to run or walk long distances.

Gale's push follows visits and presentations to players at every AFL club. He is understood to have reported to his members - and also to AFL commissioners Bill Kelty and Andrew Demetriou - that having to refuse financial help to former greats had been humbling and distressing.

"I think what the players are doing is very admirable," Demetriou said. "I would congratulate Brendon and his team for the work they've done on this and clearly it will stamp his authority on the job."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/05/04/1115092561854.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd