Author Topic: Why Bomber Thompson rejected coaching the Tigers (Age)  (Read 2893 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Why Bomber Thompson rejected coaching the Tigers (Age)
« on: September 08, 2012, 02:58:08 AM »
Why Thompson rejected Tigers

Peter Hanlon
      The Age
    September 8, 2012

IN A classic case of Richmond sliding doors, the Tigers were about to offer Mark Thompson the coaching job in 2000, only to be rebuffed by the man who would guide Geelong to two flags because he didn't like their reputation.

Speaking to The Saturday Age about coaching in all its facets, Richmond's last premiership mentor Tony Jewell recalled being director of football when the club replaced Jeff Gieschen as coach, and the decision being taken to give Thompson the job. But when the then-North Melbourne assistant fronted senior Tiger officials, he spoke up before they could give him the news.

''He said, 'Look, if you've called me in to tell me I've got the job, I don't want it','' Jewell recalled this week. ''He said, 'I've made a few inquiries about Richmond and how it operates, and you're not my type of club'.''

The Tigers instead appointed Danny Frawley, while Thompson signed on for an 11-season, two-flag stint at Geelong. Jewell has always admired his honesty.

Another official from the time recalled thinking that Thompson was concerned that ''the Graeme Richmond way'' of ruthless administration still prevailed, that only the rat cunning survived, and he didn't consider himself that sort of person.

Jewell also recalled Carlton coach-in-waiting Mick Malthouse telling him at the end of the 1980 premiership season that he wanted to leave the Tigers to coach Footscray's reserves. ''I couldn't believe it,'' Jewell said. ''I talked him out of it. I said, 'Mate, you've got too much left, and your coaching time will come'.''

Of this Jewell was always certain. He remembers the Tigers as one of the first clubs to break the team into zones, under the direction of renowned sports pyschologist Rudi Webster, and appoint a player as ''captain'' of each group. ''Mick ran the back line and was magnificent. They just died for each other.

''Mick always wanted to be a coach. I took up coaching because I'd got married and needed some money, but he was always going to be a coach.''

Jewell is not surprised that Malthouse is about to take on a three-year commitment at the helm of a fourth club. ''A million a year aged 59? I wouldn't let it go, would you?''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/why-thompson-rejected-tigers-20120907-25jxq.html#ixzz25nuCvLHr

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: Why Bomber Thompson rejected coaching the Tigers (Age)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 10:01:59 AM »
Bunmer Thompson is right. Would have been sacked by 2003.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

TigerTimeII

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 10:56:14 AM »
bs ,,,, but its all history now

keeping spud and wallet for 5 yrs each was proof the club had changed its ways, both spud and wallet should have been sacked way b4 there terms finished

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 11:10:03 AM »
bs ,,,, but its all history now

keeping spud and wallet for 5 yrs each was proof the club had changed its ways, both spud and wallet should have been sacked way b4 there terms finished

Bomber made the right choice. He would have been sacked at the same time as spud.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 11:10:03 AM »
oh well its his loss , could have become a great having achieved what he did at RFC instead he is a despised individual :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 11:20:33 AM »

IN A classic case of Richmond sliding doors, the Tigers were about to offer Mark Thompson the coaching job in 2000, only to be rebuffed by the man who would guide Geelong to two flags because he didn't like their reputation.

Speaking to The Saturday Age about coaching in all its facets, Richmond's last premiership mentor Tony Jewell recalled being director of football when the club replaced Jeff Gieschen as coach, and the decision being taken to give Thompson the job. But when the then-North Melbourne assistant fronted senior Tiger officials, he spoke up before they could give him the news.

''He said, 'Look, if you've called me in to tell me I've got the job, I don't want it','' Jewell recalled this week. ''He said, 'I've made a few inquiries about Richmond and how it operates, and you're not my type of club'.''

The Tigers instead appointed Danny Frawley, while Thompson signed on for an 11-season, two-flag stint at Geelong. Jewell has always admired his honesty.

Another official from the time recalled thinking that Thompson was concerned that ''the Graeme Richmond way'' of ruthless administration still prevailed, that only the rat cunning survived, and he didn't consider himself that sort of person.

Funny how history has a way of repeating itself.

"only the rat cunning survived, and he didn't consider himself that sort of person"
"Jewell has always admired his honesty"

I'll bet Geelong and Gary Jnr have a different view on the morals of the pious pr1ck after the way he left them to go back home.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 12:11:38 PM »

Funny how history has a way of repeating itself.

"only the rat cunning survived, and he didn't consider himself that sort of person"
"Jewell has always admired his honesty"

I'll bet Geelong and Gary Jnr have a different view on the morals of the pious pr1ck after the way he left them to go back home.

exactly,  ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 12:50:50 PM »
Wouldn't have had the 99 or 01 monster draft

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 04:48:23 PM »
Probably had a look at our recruiting department at the time and it scared the poo out of him.
History says he was completly correct in the decision he made. The club had no idea at that time and Geelong had a clear plan....and a freshly painted change room.  :whistle
The club that keeps giving.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 06:50:49 PM »
love to ask him to coach us now!

10 FLAGS

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 07:37:22 PM »

Paul Roos is going to be our next coach if Hardwick doesnt come up with a finals appearance next year.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »
Hardwick will be given 5 years Ramps

Next year is the decider though as we don't want to head into his final year of a contract without a top 8 finish as the pressure will be too much as seen many times before

IMO make or break next year for finals

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 10:43:17 PM »
Whatever

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 11:40:08 PM »

Paul Roos is going to be our next coach if Hardwick doesnt come up with a finals appearance next year.

Campbell

Ox

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 11:52:58 PM »

LOL
What a cunning little rat u are,Bomba.