Author Topic: St Kilda and Sydney to play in NZ on Anzac Day 2013  (Read 912 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
St Kilda and Sydney to play in NZ on Anzac Day 2013
« on: September 12, 2012, 11:35:36 PM »
Saints, Swans in NZ clash
By Luke Holmesby
afl.com.au
Wed 12 Sep, 2012

St Kilda and the Sydney Swans will contest the first game played for premiership points to be held outside of Australia next season when they play at Westpac Stadium in Wellington, New Zealand on Anzac Day.

AFL chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan said the 34,000-capacity stadium could be packed out for the historic match, and said the league had hopes that one day a standalone New Zealand team would be a part of the AFL.

"I'm going to put it out there, we'll sell that game out. It will be an incredible event broadcast live back into Australia celebrating shared cultures and values with a great product where sports-mad New Zealanders with Australians who like to travel will be having a great day," McLachlan said.

"Where that goes, I don't know. Whether it's a team in 10 years, I'd love to think it was."

The game will take place immediately following the traditional Collingwood versus Essendon match at the MCG so it can be broadcast live in Australia.

The Saints have been negotiating with the AFL and the Wellington City Council for months to arrange the match.

The initial agreement is that St Kilda will host five games at Westpac Stadium over the next three years, with two to come in 2014 and another two in 2015.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/147501/default.aspx