Author Topic: D-Rod back to Richmond  (Read 8985 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: D-Rod back to Richmond
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2012, 10:12:31 PM »
AFL Trade Rumours ‏@Afltrade twitter:

"North Melbourne interested in David Rodan! "

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2012, 10:20:35 PM »

Roflmao

Now they will get him and he will be a star super sub for them and then we'll kick ourselves.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

the claw

« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2012, 11:39:49 PM »
while i dont rate  rodan never have, age has nothing to do with it , at 29  if he was up to standard why would you not take him  if he improves our list.
this age thing is utter bull dust. the only consideration is  cost and if he improves us. we are not trading out of the nd to get mature players so there is no harm.

have said often would have taken moloney at age 29 because he significantly improves an area of our side.  depth experience are straight away addressed and the load on inside players tuck and foley is eased.

imo rodan has  never really  been up to standard imo to many poor decisions for one,
would rather give a high performing state leaguer a try instead.

an example of a short term solution with age is maric. we need a  viable back up for him as a short term list managment thing. id do what brisbane did with ben hudson if need be and take a 30 yr old even just to fill the gaping hole for a yr and give some genuine cover while we find a longer term solution.

im hoping we are looking to rookie the likes of kyle martin paul marschall jack hannath  tom sundberg sam dwyer and a fair few others. id take em over 18 yr old rookies any day.
have to  say it,  if we were to take 6 18 yr old rookies id bet we would get more out of rodan than 5 of them. 5 are likely to never play a game.
2 or  3 kids 3  or 4 mature types in the rookie draft for me.

D Rod is a classic example of our garbage from a previous regime(s) who as soon as he went to Port and played in a reasonable side that made the GF albeit losing by 20 goals many starting saying why why why did we give him away.

As far as I am concerned we have worked hard to get our list to where it is and whilst Claw raises some valid points in terms of looking at mature players from state leagues etc, Rodan IMHO will add nothing to our list. In fact I think he'll get in the way of our 2nd and 3rd tier blokes who are starting to show some positive signs.

There is no romance in getting Rodan back to the club. Would be an error of judgement that whilst we may not pay for it greatly in terms of picks, salary etc we may pay for it on the field and the development of the side to this stage and what they have learned is far more imperative than the romance of bring Rodan back to Punt Rd, who clearly after 11 years of footy still makes elementary errors and plays that overuse type of game he has played all his career.

There are other players who have been delisted that can add more value to our list than Rodan.

Let Melbourne "improve" their list with him.

A resounding no from me.
i tend to agree with all that.
you have to ask yourself what does he bring to the table as a senior mature player and the answer is not a lot. i ask myself how would he improve us and i dont really see how he can.

hes no moloney thats for sure.  moloney actually gets contested ball uses pretty well leads from the front onfield, is tough brings experience and grunt to the side and helps fill a void in an area where we lack depth ie we only really have foley and tuck who play similar roles and we need cover for them. look what happened when foley got hurt. im sort of surprised we did not have a try for moloney given the state of our inside mids.

surely taking a mature player like rodan he  must be able to significantly improve us and add depth to an area we really lack in i just dont see it. you could lump nahas edwards white king in the same group. its a group we need to improve on not get more of the same. i happen to think we can improve on some of  these blokes simply by giving decent state league players a chance.
id rather we give sam dwer a go or tom sundberg or any number of 22 25 yr old mids that ive mentioned on this site in recent times. instead of rodan. they are likely to give you more and they have some sort of upside you nebver know they may end up being bloody good players.

in saying all that sometimes there is a circumstance where you would give a 29 30 yr old a go for a season to fill a hole. if say ben hudson was available for nix with our ruck situation you would give him a yr. theres your cover if maric goes down and your season is not derailed because of one injury.

im all for getting mature players and certainly all for trying state league players but not just because they are available.

we took leon cameron at age 28 cuz at what 31 32 nothing wrong with that as long as they come real cheap they both bought heaps to the table.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2012, 11:44:18 PM »
Surely we won't take him.

the claw

« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2012, 11:53:20 PM »
lol im with ya on that brother but this is richmond.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2012, 12:37:05 AM »
lol im with ya on that brother but this is richmond.

Nah I have more faith in this new lot. Old Richmond would have.

Rodan's defensive game won't see him in a Tiger jumper again.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2012, 07:24:44 AM »

Makes sense

With Sniper Harvey out for 8 weeks

They need that older type who takes on everyone for the sake of just taking them on  ;D and David is what 10 years younger  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2012, 10:40:40 AM »
Rodan said today that we HAVE contacted him.

Come on guys if we can recruit Addam Maric why not give Rodan a go.

Costing peanuts and SuperSub :D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2012, 11:25:57 AM »
Rodan ready to roar again
By Nick Bowen
Mon 15 Oct, 2012

DELISTED Port Adelaide veteran David Rodan is hopeful he can extend his AFL career, saying his manager has spoken with several clubs since the Power axed him last Friday.

Rodan, who has played 176 games since debuting in 2002, was reluctant to divulge which clubs had expressed interest in him when he spoke with SEN radio on Monday.

However, he suggested his first AFL club, Richmond, was among them.

"There has been a few clubs contact me, which is encouraging," Rodan said.

"I still feel like I've got a fair bit left … [I'm] obviously hoping that the clubs out there will still want me."

Asked whether Richmond was one of those clubs, Rodan said: "There has been a bit of talk, but it's still very early and we've still got a few days, another week, until we finish up talks.

"But the great thing is I've obviously got a few clubs hopefully wanting me to get on their lists."

Rodan's delisting came after he played just 10 games in 2012. Having turned 29 last Monday, Rodan acknowledged he did not fit in with new Power coach Ken Hinkley's long-term plans.

However, Rodan said the knee problems that have plagued him throughout his career - he missed the 2005 season after undergoing a knee reconstruction and had LARS surgery on his left knee in December 2009 and, again, in November 2010 - would not stop him playing on.

"They're great … they're feeling really good," Rodan said of his knees.

"The last couple of years I've been injured with my knees in the pre-season and missed a fair chunk of the year.

"But this year I was able to complete a full pre-season, but just wasn't able to get some games, so it was a bit disappointing.

"[But now] I'm ready to go."

Rodan said his hunger to play AFL football remained as strong as ever.

Rodan played 65 games for Richmond from 2002-06 before the Tigers delisted him.

He soon made the Tigers' decision look a poor one when he joined the Power via pick No.86 in the 2006 NAB AFL Draft and played every game in 2007 as Port reached the Grand Final.

Rodan played 111 games for Port.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149687/default.aspx

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2012, 12:11:11 PM »
Just get him.

I expect it to be announced by the end of the week.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2012, 01:40:19 PM »
I don't believe any trade rumour unless it has this............

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »

;D

Plus  :clapping for the Milo Kerrigan Avatar

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2012, 02:36:07 PM »

;D

Plus  :clapping for the Milo Kerrigan Avatar

Thanks Dooks.  :cheers I just whipped it up today for a bit of nostalgia. Let me know if there is an animated gif you would like and I can rip one out for you. I can make them from any form of video clip and youtube clips are especially easy as all you have to do is send me the link and the time frame you want to appear in the gif.  :thumbsup

gerkin greg

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2012, 04:05:20 PM »

Ox

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2012, 04:42:32 PM »
minimum wage