Author Topic: TAC Cup Grand Final 2012  (Read 2537 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
TAC Cup Grand Final 2012
« on: September 23, 2012, 12:20:02 PM »
3/4 Time

Oakleigh  9.7-61
Gippslam  8.5-53

Goals:
Oak: Billings 2
Gipps: Membrey 2, Graham 2, Scott 2

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: TAC Cup Grand Final 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 12:41:37 PM »
Back to back goals to Membrey (4 to him now). Gippsland running over the top of Oakleigh.

Oak    10.8-68
Gipps  12.8-80

16 mins Q4

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 12:55:06 PM »
Oakleigh was able to turn around the momentum (thanks to two bad defensive errors by Gippsland) just when it looked like they were gone.

Macrae kicks a point on the run with seconds left to win the game for Oakleigh by a point.

Final Score

Oakleigh     12.10-82
Gippsland   12.9-81
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 01:18:46 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 01:35:33 PM »
Macrae won the medal for best on ground. So he'll shoot up the draft order.

Membrey (4 goals) & Nick Graham (3 goals) best for Gippsland.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »
2012 TAC Cup Grand Final

Gippsland Power     3.2   4.3   8.5    12.9 (81)
Oakleigh Chargers   3.3   7.5   9.7   12.10 (82)

GOALS:
Gippsland Power: Membrey 4 Graham 3 Scott 2 Deery  Hams  Drew
Oakleigh Chargers: Jaksch 2 Billings 2 Walmsley  Toohey  Kennedy-Harris  Cutler  Franetic  MacRae  MacMillan  Vearing

BEST:
Gippsland Power: Graham Cashman Hams Membrey Johnstone Heppell
Oakleigh Chargers: Franetic MacRae MacMillan Cutler Collopy Kennedy-Harris

https://reg.sportingpulse.com/olr_v5/rpt_progressive.cgi?aID=4138&pg=1&a=MR

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 02:36:11 PM »
MacRae, Membrey (12 goals combined in PF and GF) and Nick Graham will have lifted their draft stocks again after today. Not only was the game a thriller but it was a high standard for U18 footy.

The TV commentators in the AFL are going to have a field day if Franetic gets drafted.

Here's youtube vision of the last 5 minutes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JyC4IA81m_Q
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 03:22:44 AM »
Jackson Macrae the hero as Oakleigh win TAC Cup premiership

Sam Landsberger
    September 24, 2012

JACKSON Macrae regards one of his footy strengths as his ability to read the play.

The top draft prospect said last month: “I’ll see things others won’t see.”

Well, it was a case of hearing things other didn’t today as the courageous midfielder became Oakleigh’s flag hero by kicking the golden point as the Chargers fought off Gippsland Power in overtime at Etihad Stadium.

And while most players on the ground had no clue the clock had elapsed and the next score would win under a bizarre AFL Victoria rule, Macrae said he was aware of the game situation after a debrief with the runner.

Macrae , who stands 188cm and 75kg, knew when he threw the ball onto his left foot from the boundary line he was about to seal a memorable TAC Cup premiership triumph.

The golden point capped a golden match from Macrae, whose meteoric rise in 2012 could now see him snapped up inside the top 10 in this year’s draft.

Jack Viney aside, he is Oakleigh’s top prospect and headlines a group of 15 players from today’s grand final likely to land on AFL lists.

“His ability to rack up possessions and read the game is really uncanny,” Chargers region manager Mark Smart said of Macrae, who is working hard on his kicking penetration – the one flaw in his well-rounded style.

Macrae’s match-winning behind sealed the TAC Cup medal for best-afield after a 28-possession match which included a goal and a jaw-dropping ability to feed out handballs with shrewd vision to unlock forward thrusts in the 12.10 (82) to 12.9 (81) victory.

Stars set to shine in TAC Cup decider

About 45 seconds before Macrae’s winner, next year’s possible No. 1 draft pick Jake Billings took a grab inside 50 before passing to Tim MacMillan.

The siren would have sounded as the brother of North Melbourne’s Jamie MacMillan lined up for goal, but with his kick a chance to tie the scores the buzzer was averted under the rule.

MacMillan goaled, the ball went back to the middle and golden point time started – a scenario Oakleigh discussed at training last week.

The Chargers mowed down a 12-point deficit in the final term after Gippsland spearhead Tim Membrey dragged his side in front and ultimately within a second of premiership glory.

Membrey roved his own marking contest before slotting his third of four goals from 45m to spark the Power in the final term and looks certain to be taken in the first round of the draft.

The power forward, likened to Jack Darling, finished with 4.3 while Morrish Medallist Nick Graham was Gippsland’s best.

The midfield jet showed his class with a third-quarter goal from the boundary and courageous mark running back with the flight, while Anthony “Tippa” Tipungwuti provided the match highlight with a powerful burst in the third quarter.

Tipungwuti dove on a pack before sneaking clear and winning an outside handball before streaming down the wing and taking three bounces.

The gut-running machine then shot a handball to Josh Scott who goaled on the run in a moment similar to Lewis Jetta’s outstanding goal for Sydney on Friday night.

Power coach Nick Stevens said last week: “I'd compare Tippa to a Chris Yarran or an Eddie Betts at the same age.

“This boy's got as much talent as they have. I really hope he gets the opportunity because he's worked hard and deserves a chance at AFL football.”

Scott goaled again moments later with a flying snap, while Billings showed why he is so hotly talked about as he won a hard ball and crashed through a tackle to run into an open goal and steady Oakleigh in the third term.

Bottom-age Charger Jay Kennedy-Harris showed off plenty of tricks and looks a strong prospect for next season despite his 64kg frame.

Macrae, who earlier this season likened himself to Geelong superstar Stevie Johnson on Fox Footy, showed he’s an AFL media manager’s dream-in-waiting, giving little away minutes after the win.

“Anyone of us could’ve won (the TAC Cup medal), it was a great team effort,” he said.

“About 10-15 boys could’ve won this medal and it shows our great depth.”

The Chargers, who lost last year’s grand final, and Power stars will now join other TAC Cup AFL prospects in preparing for October’s draft combine.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/jackson-macrae-the-hero-as-oakleigh-win-tac-cup-premiership/story-e6frf9jf-1226479739159

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 03:24:09 AM »
Oakleigh wins title thriller

Brett Diamond
    The Age
    September 24, 2012

JACKSON Macrae says his heart was in his mouth while running towards goal and kicking the match-winning behind for the Oakleigh Chargers in a pulsating TAC Cup grand final against Gippsland Power at Etihad Stadium yesterday.

After a goal by Oakleigh's Tim Macmillan levelled the scores with 23 seconds left on the clock, the deadlock meant the match went to the golden-point rule for the first time in TAC Cup history - the first score would secure a win.

The Chargers then triumphed to help ease the pain of last year's grand final defeat.

Macrae, with 26 touches yesterday, said the players knew the circumstances as he was left unmarked just inside 50 on the boundary line, before unloading. He received the TAC Cup medal for best afield. ''I knew I had a bit of space when I looked around me, I didn't want to over-kick it or kick it out on the full or anything, so I just steadied and went through my normal kicking routine,'' Macrae said.
Advertisement

''My heart was in my mouth for sure, it just snuck through thank god, it was awesome. It was obviously pleasing to play well in the grand final but I think about 10 or 15 boys could have won the medal today. It just goes to show our great depth and probably why we came away with it in the end.''

Oakleigh coach Justin Wenke said he made some match-winning moves by slotting forward Kristian Jaksch, who had been a driving force in the first half, in defence and shifting Macrae and Jack Billings up forward to help generate scoring power after trailing by two goals midway through the final term.

Macrae has had a stellar finals series, lifting his name in the lead-up to this year's AFL draft. He has mixed his season with three different coaches, playing school football for Carey Grammar and for Vic Metro, along with the Chargers.

''He's [Macrae] an outstanding player,'' Wenke said.

Jaksch proved his versatility with 12 touches, six marks and two goals.

Oakleigh 12.10 (82)
Gippsland 12.9 (81)

BEST:
Oakleigh: Macrae, Jaksch, Billings, Cutler, Walmsley
Gippsland: Graham, Membrey, Cashman, Tipungwuti, Deery

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/oakleigh-wins-title-thriller-20120923-26f4m.html#ixzz27JZQ7Cyw