Author Topic: Tiger Trades Raise Hopes  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Tiger Trades Raise Hopes
« on: October 09, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »
Tiger trades raise hopes

Murray Middleton

Written on Tuesday, 09 October 2012 08:32

The big winners of free agency to date have been Richmond. Last week the Tigers managed to lure Chris Knights and Troy Chaplin from the City of Churches. The fact that Richmond has been able to land the likes of Chaplin and Ivan Maric in the past two seasons suggests that the club's 'big four' status may be re-emerging after a 32-year hibernation.

Troy Chaplin probably hasn't received the exposure that he deserves in Victoria because of the relative anonymity of his former football club. On paper, he will be the Tigers' sixth best player in 2013 (behind Trent Cotchin, Brett Deledio, Jack Riewoldt, Dustin Martin and Ivan Maric). He will not only sure up their defence, he will also aid the development of Alex Rance and Dylan Grimes by reducing their workload.

Chaplin's emergence as a strong-bodied defender in 2007 played a huge part in Port Adelaide's surprise Grand Final appearance. While the 196-centimetre former basketballer never looked like a natural footballer, he was able to regularly lock horns with some of the competition's most intimidating power forwards - Fraser Gehrig, Barry Hall, Jonathan Brown – and hold his own.

In neglecting to match Richmond's four-year contract offer, Port Adelaide Football Manager Peter Rohde alluded to the bone-on-bone discomfort in Chaplin's knee. It's difficult for outsiders to speculate as to the structure of a stranger's knee. If Chaplin's knee is anywhere near as bad as Jade Rawlings' knee was when he joined the Bulldogs in 2004, then Port is well within their right to pinch pennies. If it isn't, then Chaplin should prove to be a great acquisition at Punt Road.

Like Chaplin, Chris Knights has been in the system for just shy of a decade. He was a prolific midfielder for the Crows in 2007 and 2008, averaging 22 disposals over 38 games. In 2009 he chimed in with 43 goals as part of a versatile Adelaide forward line. In retrospect, his success in front of the sticks, coupled with the emergence of Patrick Dangerfield and Rory Sloane, probably cost him his spot in the Crows' midfield.

If Knights can recapture the form from early in his career, he will slot into the Tigers' midfield rotations nicely alongside Cotchin, Deledio, Martin, Foley, Tuck and Grigg. Knights and Chaplin will also add two left footers to a side desperately short on southpaws (there is currently only four in their best 22). In the past two seasons Hawthorn has illustrated the importance of having a dexterous lineup.

In Damien Hardwick's three seasons in charge Richmond has won six games, eight games and ten games. In 2012 they comprehensively defeated both grand finalists. The only blight on the club during Hardwick's reign has been their propensity to suffer 'honourable' defeats. Although this might seem like something that will be rectified with the passing of time and a maturing playing group, it is imperative that they start to win the close ones in 2013. Otherwise the doubts (and the doubters) will snowball.

While the recruitment of Chaplin, Knights and potentially Greater Western Sydney's Dom Tyson will definitely improve the team's roster, they must play finals in 2013. Even if they were to lose an Elimination Final, as with North Melbourne, the experience that they would gain would be invaluable. However it isn't a foregone conclusion. To do so they will not only have to dislodge one of this seasons' top eight teams, they will also have to leapfrog a Mick Malthouse-coached Carlton and a Brendon Goddard-infused Essendon lineup.

Any talk of a top four finish seems fatally misguided. It is a quantum leap to go from outside the top eight into the top four. While West Coast and Adelaide have managed to do it in the past two seasons, both clubs have enjoyed the luxury of turning their interstate home ground into a fortress (West Coast went 12-1 at home in 2011 and Adelaide went 12-2 at home in 2012). This dominance won't be possible at the MCG.

The football landscape would be both unrecognisable and intriguing with a formidable Richmond side. One senses that the annual round one encounter with Carlton at the MCG will be crucial in determining Richmond's fortunes in 2013. Should they prevail, Damien Hardwick will be forced to contend with something that no Richmond coach has dealt with in a long time: genuine hope.

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/afl/7656-tiger-trades-raise-hopes?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BPL-news-feed+%28BackPageLead+Daily+News+Feed%29

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: Tiger Trades Raise Hopes
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »
What a moron.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 01:12:37 PM »
Getting two average players hardly makes us big winners. I'm not sure if there was a long list of clubs lining up for either bloke? Not sure how Chappy could be our 6th best player on paper. What paper? Who cares about paper. ;D

Inb4 wegothemforfreestopmoaningcoachyoubigsexybeast. I'm not, I just CBF getting too excited in October.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 01:19:41 PM »
Getting two average players hardly makes us big winners. I'm not sure if there was a long list of clubs lining up for either bloke? Not sure how Chappy could be our 6th best player on paper. What paper? Who cares about paper. ;D

Inb4 wegothemforfreestopmoaningcoachyoubigsexybeast. I'm not, I just CBF getting too excited in October.

We got them for free so STFU.  :shh :cheers

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 01:46:10 PM »

Correct, they cost us nothing so whats the issue :huh :huh

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 01:49:20 PM »

Correct, they cost us nothing so whats the issue :huh :huh

There is no big issue. One is an injury prone player that has struggled for 3 years and the other is an overrated gimp that not many Richmond supporters have ever seen play.
Call me in September next year and tell me what you thought of their seasons. I reckon Knighta will go alright.

:fishing

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »
I think he has some fair points in this article plus some outright shameless sensationalism too. I think he is right that over in Victoria we do know very little of Chaplin and Knights (I knew very little about Chaplin particularly) but they are both talented players. Like Maric, Houli and Grigg, circumstances beyond their control influenced their recent player careers. Knights was pushed out of the side as a small forward by better performing players and Chaplin by Ports promise to younger defenders to give them more game time this year.

It was interesting to hear the author state that it was possibly Knights success as a forward option that ended his midfield selection opportunities. It sounds like the Adelaide selectors began to pigeon-hole him as a forward and went with the midfielders they knew rather than giving him another stint in the middle. This bodes well for us.

Chaplins knee is my only concern. He could be a huge pickup for us but only if he learns our game and gets out of the ground regularly. All in all both cam for nothing which is a huge bonus regardless of whether they are successful or not - an added bonus!  :thumbsup

Then there was the authors attempt to simultaneously pump us up and put pressure on us not to fail. He even went down the Round 1 game against Carlton 'will be crucial in determining Richmond's fortunes in 2013'.  ::) Give me a break  :banghead If the team builds this up, like they ahve done in previous years, only to come crashing down then yes it will be crucial. If they see it as only one game in a long season, then no the game will be no more make or break than any game against quality opposition. The media love to build this up and get ready with their prepared articles every year. Gives me the ....  >:(

Anyway - overall I see promise in the way we are going about the period this year.   :cheers

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 01:59:03 PM »
All in all both cam for nothing which is a huge bonus regardless of whether they are successful or not

Chaplin is here for 4 years regardless of if he is successful or not. 4 year contract. I'll say it again, 4 year contract......

Who signed off on that one?

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 02:20:38 PM »
All in all both cam for nothing which is a huge bonus regardless of whether they are successful or not

Chaplin is here for 4 years regardless of if he is successful or not. 4 year contract. I'll say it again, 4 year contract......

STFU we got him for free, k?  >:(

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 03:03:22 PM »

Dude, its only a 3 year contract with an option for 4! Preformance based :shh :shh

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 03:15:54 PM »

Dude, its only a 3 year contract with an option for 4! Preformance based :shh :shh

Yes that's right. It's really only a 3 year contract with an optional 4th. Three years is a reasonable time frame for a player of his age, proven ability and experience. He may not be a champion of the code but if he was we would never have got him to the side for the price we paid.

Miller was brought to the club for his experience at an older age and with far less capability. Even if Chaplin just put pressure on the other defenders to retain their spots and brought in some new strategies/ideas to share he would be worth it.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 06:08:48 PM »

Performance based :lol

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 06:09:14 PM »

;D

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 06:10:58 PM »

Jeebs learn how to quote Bill  :huh

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 07:31:55 PM »

Call me crazy, but it was a bleedin masterstroke :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled