Author Topic: Are you left or right handed?  (Read 1965 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Are you left or right handed?
« on: October 23, 2012, 03:09:36 AM »
Let's see which side dominates OER. Are you left-handed or right-handed?

Left-handers are still a mysterious and misunderstood lot

By Brian Johnston
    October 23, 2012

About 10 per cent of the population is left handed and many more of us switch between our hands for various tasks. Yet left-handers have been discriminated against since ancient times and many myths surround this difference.

In fact, most of the popular beliefs about left-handers rarely stand up to close scrutiny ...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/understanding-those-left-handers/story-e6frf7jo-1226500705673

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Are you left or right handed?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 08:01:24 AM »
My Grandma was originally left handed but was forced to change to right handed when at school. 

I am left handed and Ma Powell was asked before I started school if she and my Dad wanted the school to teach me to be a right hander. Ma Powell said "no bloody way are you mad"  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

dwaino

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 09:04:37 AM »
Lefty. It's a rot when buying guitars.

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 03:13:02 PM »
Right, but play tennis ambidextrous.  Confuses the hell out of opponents.  :thumbsup

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »
Ambidextrous but I am a definite lefty playing drums. Ian Paice Rocks!!

But hey dwaino you are in pretty good company with Hendrix and McCartney. Just do what Hendrix did and flip and restring a rightey.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 03:58:37 PM »
Right, but I used my left for various things when I fractured my scaphoid  ;D

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 06:31:53 PM »
Right, but I used my left for various things when I fractured my scaphoid  ;D

Care to tell us more about the activities you did with the non?

dwaino

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 11:45:46 PM »

But hey dwaino you are in pretty good company with Hendrix and McCartney. Just do what Hendrix did and flip and restring a rightey.

Just doesn't feel right! I did try that with my very first guitar. The poo part is it's usually a ~$100-$200 increase on the same lefty models. I hardly play any more though. The acoustics, Ibanez RG270 and Schecter Omen 7 are all collecting dust. Sometimes I entertain the idea of chucking some EMG81s in the 270 and starting a grunge band but I already play bass in a death metal band and even then we haven't play a gig in over 2 years, haven't rehearsed in about 18 months and I couldn't even be arsed recording the last EP... probably should have because some Euro metal labels are keen  :laugh:

Been really keen to buy an electric drum kit lately. I always stuffed around on mates kits but I sucked but I think it's because they're all set up right handed. Sometimes would love to just come home from work, chuck on the head phones and belt away to something funky like Tool.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 08:53:01 AM »

Just doesn't feel right! I did try that with my very first guitar. The poo part is it's usually a ~$100-$200 increase on the same lefty models. I hardly play any more though. The acoustics, Ibanez RG270 and Schecter Omen 7 are all collecting dust. Sometimes I entertain the idea of chucking some EMG81s in the 270 and starting a grunge band but I already play bass in a death metal band and even then we haven't play a gig in over 2 years, haven't rehearsed in about 18 months and I couldn't even be arsed recording the last EP... probably should have because some Euro metal labels are keen  :laugh:

Been really keen to buy an electric drum kit lately. I always stuffed around on mates kits but I sucked but I think it's because they're all set up right handed. Sometimes would love to just come home from work, chuck on the head phones and belt away to something funky like Tool.

dwaino, I have to admit that death metal is an acquired taste and one which I find hard to grasp but I hope it goes well for you in the future. I'm more of a Trad Jazz kinda guy who also likes classic rock (Van Halen, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin etc..).

Electronic Kits are great fun. I have had a Roland TD-6 for about 6 years now and I love the fact that I can tap away with headphones on while the kids are asleep. Also drumless track mp3's are cool. They're really easy to make yourself as well. Also for a bit of fun I have connected my TD-6 Brain to my Xbox band hero via the crappy kit that comes with it which works as a wireless midi connection to the Xbox.

dwaino

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 10:25:15 AM »
Yes it is a very acquired taste. I dont listen to it much anymore though except for the 80s/early 90s classics. I'm a big fan of 80s heavy metal too like Dio era Sabbath, Manowar, Metal Church etc. these days I listen to mostly stuff like Stone Temple Pilots and Alice in Chains. I've played in some bands on major underground labels and have mates in bands that do regular international tours but the lifestyle just isn't for me. I get drained enough playing an interstate gig as it is  :laugh: I'd rather just sit at home and jam. I want a real acoustic kit but we live in a town house so I'd probably pee off the neighbours and the missus. For electric do you need electric kit specific double kick pedals or can you just use regular doubles?

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 12:25:57 PM »
Yes it is a very acquired taste. I dont listen to it much anymore though except for the 80s/early 90s classics. I'm a big fan of 80s heavy metal too like Dio era Sabbath, Manowar, Metal Church etc. these days I listen to mostly stuff like Stone Temple Pilots and Alice in Chains. I've played in some bands on major underground labels and have mates in bands that do regular international tours but the lifestyle just isn't for me. I get drained enough playing an interstate gig as it is  :laugh: I'd rather just sit at home and jam. I want a real acoustic kit but we live in a town house so I'd probably pee off the neighbours and the missus. For electric do you need electric kit specific double kick pedals or can you just use regular doubles?

dwaino you can use a regular double kick. I use a standard Pearl Base pedal. The base pad is quite small on mine so I'm not sure how it would handle a double beater but in later Roland models, they increased the size of the base pad. If you are interested in getting one, stick to Roland as Yamaha have really ordinary samples in my opinion. The Roland Brains are first rate!

dwaino

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 11:08:04 PM »
Cheers tiga. I got drummer mates with old unused Axis pedals that I should be able to pilfer then.  8)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
Lefty  :thumbsup although I did bat right-handed when playing cricket.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 07:53:59 PM »
although I did bat right-handed.

Good to know

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 11:32:06 AM »
although I did bat right-handed.

Good to know

A bit of creative editing there Yeahright. Are you sure you don't work for the HUN?  ;D