Author Topic: Veteran list  (Read 3130 times)

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
Veteran list
« on: October 24, 2012, 06:19:21 PM »
Is there a limit of how many players go on the veterans list? How many years of playing makes you a veteran and can they be at more than one club or does a veteran lose his status if he changed club? Could tuck go on the veterans list next year?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Veteran list
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 07:48:57 PM »
Veteran Players

Under AFL player rules, each club may nominate or list any number of what are called Veteran Players.

* In order to be eligible for classification as a Veteran a player must have been the age of 30 as at September 30 in the relevant AFL season and be on the primary list of the AFL club for at least 10 years.

* There is now no limit on the number of veteran players a club can list, as long as the player meets the required classification.

http://www.afl.com.au/development/aflexplained/about/tabid/13532/default.aspx#veteran

The AFL has also just changed the salary cap rules for veterans:

The old veterans' list rules allowed clubs to put half a player's wage outside the salary cap, but teams can next year decide to exclude $112,000 from the cap per veteran.

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum/index.php?topic=16821.0

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 07:52:43 PM »
...can they be at more than one club or does a veteran lose his status if he changed club?
He loses his veteran status if he changes clubs. As it says you have to be one the primary list at the one club for at least 10 years.

Could tuck go on the veterans list next year?
Next year will be Tucky's 10th year on our primary list so I'm presume he'll be eligible for veteran list status in 2014 if he plays on the year after next.

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 08:48:30 PM »
Thanks for that. Would be nice if Tuck could be a vet in 2013 with Newman to open up another spot on the senior list  :laugh:

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:15:52 PM »
Thanks for that. Would be nice if Tuck could be a vet in 2013 with Newman to open up another spot on the senior list  :laugh:
A vet only opens a spot on the senior list if he's put 'outside' of it. Newy is currently still 'inside' the senior list so he isn't freeing up a spot despite being a vet.

If a vet is put outside the senior list then you lose a rookie list spot for every vet outside the senior list. With the AFL reducing the number of rookies back down to just 4 then having too many vets could cost you rookies that actually make it.

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 09:46:50 PM »
A vet only opens a spot on the senior list if he's put 'outside' of it. Newy is currently still 'inside' the senior list so he isn't freeing up a spot despite being a vet.

If a vet is put outside the senior list then you lose a rookie list spot for every vet outside the senior list. With the AFL reducing the number of rookies back down to just 4 then having too many vets could cost you rookies that actually make it.

Oh I see. What's the most we can have on the senior list? 38?
If we add Aaron Edwards we may have to delist another player

the claw

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 11:10:15 PM »

Oh I see. What's the most we can have on the senior list? 38?
If we add Aaron Edwards we may have to delist another player
hooray its not as if we dont need to cut more players.see ya later whitey dont let the door nhit you on the arse on the way out.

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 12:27:57 AM »
So we can only have a maximum of 4 rookies?

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 12:31:30 AM »
What's the point in stating that a veteran is inside the primary list?

So when Newman becomes a veteran OUTSIDE the list, $112,000 will be taken off his annual payment? ie: $250,000 - $112,000 = $138,000 (this will be included in the salary cap?)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 07:54:19 AM »
If you need some cap space you nominate a player as a veteran, if you need the rookie spaces you place them on the Veteran's List.  I could easily be wrong but that's how I read the rules anyway:

http://www.aflpa.com.au/images/uploads/AFL_Player_Rules_-_March_2011.pdf

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 08:01:51 AM »
hooray its not as if we dont need to cut more players.see ya later whitey dont let the door nhit you on the arse on the way out.

Don't think White would be de-listed, seeing he's been offered a new contract as stated in another thread

Would think if there is to be anymore de-listings it would come from those yet to offered a new contract  ;D

See ya...................? ? ?  :rollin

AFL in their wisdom still haven't finalised the number of rookies clubs can have for 2013 - there's talk of a reduction but hasn't been set in stone. We currently have 2 spaces taken with Darrou & Verieer (sp?) and 1 international rookie that's not included on our rookie list. So if it goes back to 4 we only have 2 spots left 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 08:12:53 AM »
I'm not sure if 38 is the maximum you can have on a senior list or not. Anyone know? Don't think we should be thinking about Edwards when we need a ruckman 10 times more. Take him as a rookie only please

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 01:01:07 PM »
I'm not sure if 38 is the maximum you can have on a senior list or not. Anyone know?
38 is the maximum. At the moment we have 4 spots free on our senior list so we can use 4 National draft picks or if we so wish 3 National draft picks plus one in the PSD but IMO we won't bother with the PSD this year.

AFL in their wisdom still haven't finalised the number of rookies clubs can have for 2013 - there's talk of a reduction but hasn't been set in stone. We currently have 2 spaces taken with Darrou & Verieer (sp?) and 1 international rookie that's not included on our rookie list. So if it goes back to 4 we only have 2 spots left
I know it's the Herald-Sun but they reported the 4 rookie limit will be in for this draft period.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/afl-clubs-protest-cut-to-rookie-list/story-e6frf9jf-1226499653820

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 05:39:59 PM »

I know it's the Herald-Sun but they reported the 4 rookie limit will be in for this draft period.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/afl-clubs-protest-cut-to-rookie-list/story-e6frf9jf-1226499653820

Yeah I read that but it seems the clubs are complaining and are trying to get it to remain the same as this year
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

dwaino

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »
Speaking of rookies, it will be interesting who we pick up. The last two years Miller got the elevation. If it's down to four spots and provided we have two free spots, I wonder how the club will go about. Will we rookie a mature age or project ruck? Unless we draft one then I assume so, and then what? Another midfielder? We have a line of KPs (quality subjective) and Darrou already with a year under his belt, and a young mid may develop quicker. Then who does everyone think will get promoted? Remembering a rookie ruck could be elevated at will if needed should one of our rucks go down. May we get a good look at Verrier this year?