Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 1458 times)

dwaino

Windows 8
« on: October 26, 2012, 11:22:34 PM »
Anyone going for the $39 upgrade before jan 31 2013? And anyone had a play on it yet? The cloud integration sounds handy if I had all Windows devices. But besides my desktop and laptop I have an Android tablet and iPhone so it's kind of useless. not sure I'm a fan of the new design either.

My desktop is a sacred piece of machinery (2500k @ ~3.8ghz, 8GB 1600 ripjaws, 2GB GTX680, 64GB SSD in RST backed with a 2TB cav black. Sits pretty with a full compliment of Razor and Plantronics gear) and I'd rather not bog it down with dodgy and buggy drivers.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
windows  :chuck
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 12:14:25 AM »
The OS war means nothing to us gamers  :laugh:

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 12:41:56 AM »
microsoft have hate in their hearts.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 05:29:41 AM »

I have it on the work laptop and don't mind it at all.

Will be more useful on one of the new convertible laptops like the new ultrabook.

You need a touch screen but give it a couple of years and that will be all you will be able to buy (or at least that is what MS are hoping)

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/10/26/ultrabook-convertible-5-tablet-notebook-windows-8-computers/

:cheers
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

dwaino

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »
Biggest issue for me as yet is driver support due to the new OS models. Apparently people are having no issues with things like Steam as yet so that's good news. I've been reading some people using it (on desktops) since the RTM and saying they prefer it and it's faster... But I dunno, not sure it would go any faster if you're already using an SSD as a cache. As it is, my desktop has one and only purpose and everything is accessed through a click in Stream, or windows key then start typing something in and press enter. That's another thing, haven't read any testimonies on people using it with intel RST yet. I'm sure it would go ok on a fresh install but I'd rather not do that at this stage.

gerkin greg

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 11:32:39 AM »
:chuck

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 01:58:19 PM »

dwaino

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 07:31:42 PM »
Just wondering, how do you make a Mac go faster? Do you download more RAM or something? Or is it like Linux where you operate a WinOS from a shell?

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 07:46:37 PM »
 :lol

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 09:56:15 PM »

Read a review of Windows 8 today that said they have tried to simplify the interface to lure Mac users across to Windows.

Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

dwaino

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 11:13:45 PM »

Read a review of Windows 8 today that said they have tried to simplify the interface to lure Mac users across to Windows.

By Mac users do they mean teenagers who haven't been using a start menu since 95?  :lol

Been trying to talk a not so computer savvy brother in law out of buying a Mac. Told him we could play Crysis 3 together. Oh no wait... no we can't  :lol Pretty sure I'm going to have to stick another 680 in as it is

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 11:01:09 AM »
i like this one better, although its capacity is a wee bit smaller

5 MB hard drive from 1956

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 06:00:13 PM »
The issue I've heard with Windows 8 is that it looks great but because it's designed to fit in with a touchscreen, it's not so user-friendly for those familiar with older versions of Windows using a mouse and keyboard. I think the common complaint was you needed to ask someone how to do something you'd be familiar with doing on older Windows versions or have to look it up on the net. An example was you needed to click and drag an application up/down the screen to use it (similar to dragging your finger on a touchscreen) rather than just clicking on the application icon and it popping up as in old school Windows. The other complaint I saw on youtube was it took the person a while to find out how to shutdown without a start button lol. You had to go to the right side of the screen and to find the menu that slides in with the power icon/button.   

So is it a bugbear or is it a case of just needing to become familiar with something new like all things new and once you are familiar with it it's simple to use?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 06:17:18 PM »
The issue I've heard with Windows 8 is that it looks great but because it's designed to fit in with a touchscreen, it's not so user-friendly for those familiar with older versions of Windows using a mouse and keyboard. I think the common complaint was you needed to ask someone how to do something you'd be familiar with doing on older Windows versions or have to look it up on the net. An example was you needed to click and drag an application up/down the screen to use it (similar to dragging your finger on a touchscreen) rather than just clicking on the application icon and it popping up as in old school Windows. The other complaint I saw on youtube was it took the person a while to find out how to shutdown without a start button lol. You had to go to the right side of the screen and to find the menu that slides in with the power icon/button.   

So is it a bugbear or is it a case of just needing to become familiar with something new like all things new and once you are familiar with it it's simple to use?

You can drop out to a Start buttonless windows 7 at any time.

And for $4.99 you can install a little program called Start8 that restores the Start button.

:thumbsup