Author Topic: Tanking affair darkens for Dees ....... (Age)  (Read 10187 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tanking affair darkens for Dees ....... (Age)
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »
As much as I like to see Melbourne coming under scrutiny (the sight of their supporters cheering when Jordan McMahon kicked that winning goal was sickening) why isn't a spotlight being shone on Carlton, and what they did to secure Kreuzer?

Haven't looked to see where it's written, but according to the news on MMM this morning Carlton may be investigated next.
Should add Collingwood in there as well. They tanked to get the pre-first round priority pick that gave them two picks in the top 5 of the 2005 draft that landed them both Thomas and Pendelbery.

Want those teams looked at then rightly or wrongly they will look at us as well. Rd 22 -v-
St Kilda in what was it 2007? We were up at 3qtr time and ended up losing our prize was some kid called Cotchin  :rollin

wow what a controversy WP

we were up by less than a kick as were the Pies against Nought in that game for Thomas/Pendlebury, or perhaps more.

What Dees/cheats did was blatant cheating. Proof well your seeing it now with people coming out, along with the laughbale positional o changes of fev to the bench in the last and ruckman being pushed back into the last line

Im sure there were more examples. I also cant remember former coaches/players coming out and declaring as such from Tigers/Pies.

ooh and another thing we won the second last game of the 2007 season. That's tanking is it?

Tigers and Wallett wouldnt know how to tank. If we had to tank we would lose.

Chill daniel I agree with you

But they media are saying that if the AFL widen their investigation then they will look at all clubs. First Carlton, the the Pies and then the Tigers were thrown in the mix as well

Lets not forget Wallace has already admitted he made no moves in the last qtr of that game and he felt compromised be sue he knew what was at stake  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 06:29:14 PM »
SEN saying Melbourne could lose their first and second round picks if the AFL comes down hard on them. That would put Jack Viney in a predicament. Would any punishment make Melbourne lose their father-son selection? Also the club which bid for him to force Melbourne to use their 2nd round pick on him (I can't remember which club it was? Gold Coast?), would they be forced to use their 2nd round pick on him or would Viney be put on the open draft market. Good news if he is on the open market as not only would we move up the draft order by one if Melbourne lose pick 4 but another club ahead of us may grab him so effectively two of the kids, who would be taken with the current draft order, would still be available at our pick 9.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 06:48:39 PM »
if this current trend of unforeseeable fortune continues, we could finally be running into a change of luck

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2012, 07:04:59 PM »
As much as I like to see Melbourne coming under scrutiny (the sight of their supporters cheering when Jordan McMahon kicked that winning goal was sickening) why isn't a spotlight being shone on Carlton, and what they did to secure Kreuzer?

Haven't looked to see where it's written, but according to the news on MMM this morning Carlton may be investigated next.
Should add Collingwood in there as well. They tanked to get the pre-first round priority pick that gave them two picks in the top 5 of the 2005 draft that landed them both Thomas and Pendelbery.

Want those teams looked at then rightly or wrongly they will look at us as well. Rd 22 -v-
St Kilda in what was it 2007? We were up at 3qtr time and ended up losing our prize was some kid called Cotchin  :rollin

wow what a controversy WP

we were up by less than a kick as were the Pies against Nought in that game for Thomas/Pendlebury, or perhaps more.

What Dees/cheats did was blatant cheating. Proof well your seeing it now with people coming out, along with the laughbale positional o changes of fev to the bench in the last and ruckman being pushed back into the last line

Im sure there were more examples. I also cant remember former coaches/players coming out and declaring as such from Tigers/Pies.

ooh and another thing we won the second last game of the 2007 season. That's tanking is it?

Tigers and Wallett wouldnt know how to tank. If we had to tank we would lose.

Chill daniel I agree with you

But they media are saying that if the AFL widen their investigation then they will look at all clubs. First Carlton, the the Pies and then the Tigers were thrown in the mix as well

Lets not forget Wallace has already admitted he made no moves in the last qtr of that game and he felt compromised be sue he knew what was at stake  ;D
The other three clubs' situations were different to ours as they gained priority (extra early) picks from their actions and those actions were across multiple games across the second half of a season as opposed to just the final game of the year.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 07:18:28 PM »

what did they do to tank?
In 2005 you could win up to 5 games and still receive a pre-first round priority pick. The Pies had won 5 games by round 14 so they put key players in cotton wool and subsequently lost their remaining 8 games including giving up a 4 goal lead late in the last quarter against North at Docklands. At the time everyone knew what they were doing. The following year they made the finals with 14 wins.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »

Nah we didn't tank. Remember I gave Craig Cameron some stick about us not tanking at one of the fan forums  :lol.

Yep heard it first hand MT. ;D

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »
Pies in that game against Nought in 2005 were about 4 goals up with 5-6 mins to go and lost by a kick. I think Saverio and Drew Petrie kicked the goals.

Hardly tanking losing a tight one all day to losing a game you had in the bag for 114 of the 120 mins as the PIes and Blues have done in the past.

Whilst we're at it maybe the AFL should look at Carlton v Collingwood  Essendon v Carlton and Melbourne v Carlton late in 2007 also. :help

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 09:55:34 PM »

In 2005 you could win up to 5 games and still receive a pre-first round priority pick. The Pies had won 5 games by round 14 so they put key players in cotton wool and subsequently lost their remaining 8 games including giving up a 4 goal lead late in the last quarter against North at Docklands. At the time everyone knew what they were doing. The following year they made the finals with 14 wins.
who were the players they put in cotton wool? Were they injured?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2012, 11:39:32 PM »

who were the players they put in cotton wool? Were they injured?
Depends on how 'injuries' is defined. Were they carrying 'niggles' that all footballers are carrying by the second half of seasons - then yes they were injured; on the other hand were they that incapacitated that if the Pies had been in the finals race they still would've missed games - then no most weren't that injured. No doubt the excuse would've been labelled "player management". They wanted these players to have their post-season ops early so they were right to go when 2006 preseason training started. It all paid off as they got both Thomas and Pendelbury in the top 5 of the 2005 draft and the Pies played finals in 2006.

They put in cotton wool the likes of regulars Didak, Tarrant, Johnson, R.Shaw plus a couple of ordinary names now but that year had played every game up to round 15 like a Cameron Cloke. In their place they played young guys like Harry O and Heath Shaw late in the season to give them AFL match experience (which eventually paid off in 2010). Their one big loss due to legitimate injury was Anthony Rocca who went down in the first month of 2005 and missed the whole season. Bucks was the one exception as captain coming back from multiple hammies from memory. They needed to get games into him to test if he was over the hamstring issues. The Pies practically wrote-off the season by the second half of the year and so they made doing what's best for 2006 and beyond the priority rather than trying to win meaningless games at the end of 2005 which would've cost them a pre-first round priority pick.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2012, 11:57:49 PM »
If thats tanking then clubs were doing it before the draft even came in. Going by that theory there is no such thing as smart player management, just tanking.

Gee, even now we have people questioning why they continue to play players carrying injuries even when the season is shot, yet if we dont play them we would be tanking?

No different to us playing every kid on the list in 2010, knowing that it would decrease our chances of winning and publicly stating we would get a good draft pick, but a world of difference to Melbourne setting out with one objective, to lose games to gain draft picks

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2012, 01:47:51 AM »
Playing younger players for pure development reasons because you have the youngest list in the comp. as we did in 2010 or sending senior players for ops because the injury is significantly hampering their performance (ie. Vickery with his shoulder this year) is player management. Simulating these things because your club's main intention is to try and stay at or below a certain number of wins limit that earns your club an early priority pick is called tanking.

I'm not saying the Pies weren't smart doing what they did in 2005 as the AFL's draft system, especially back then with the pre-first round priority picks for just one bad season, rewarded such actions handsomely. They have a flag thanks to getting both Thomas and Pendelbury. However let's call a spade a spade. Just like Carlton in 2007, it wasn't hard to see what the Pies were up to in 2005 and that 4 goal cave-in late to North was very similar to the game Carlton threw away late in the last quarter ironically against the Pies in 2007.

The draft system rewarded such exploitive behaviour by clubs and encouraged other clubs to copy such behaviour having seen other clubs benefit for the exploitation of the priority pick system. IMO Melbourne went down the path they did because they lost out to Carlton in the Kruezer Cup. Carlton gained Kreuzer and Judd out of it while the Dees ended up with Cale Morton. The problem for Melbourne is they let everyone know about it as it was a directive from high up at the club all the way down and they weren't subtle about implementing what they wanted to do. Rather than their tanking occurring in the last 8 or so rounds of one season which can be construed as 'player management', they had planned a 2-3 year tank as the rules had changed by 2009 and you needed two poor seasons in a row to gain a pre-first round priority pick. Once they cut Bailey who felt he was only following orders and then Scully taking flight because he didn't like what was going on, the cat got out of the bag. The AFL have always taken a hard line against systematic breaches by clubs over a lengthy period. Adelaide is finding that out now as well but for different reasons to Melbourne (ie. Tippett contract affair).

IMO the following clubs "tanked"
2005 Collingwood
2007 Carlton
2009 Melbourne
2010 West Coast

Also the Hawks game against us late in 2005 where they lost after being 7 goals up on us at half-time (Pettifer got the winning goal in the last minute) was a handy loss for them as they remained on 5 wins and kept hold of their priority pick. I still remember Hawk fans celebrating a loss just as Dee fans did after that 2009 game.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2012, 02:45:38 AM »
Jobs on line: Dees warned

Caroline Wilson
    The Age
    November 2, 2012

A SENIOR Melbourne football official is said to have evoked the image of a disappointed and cancer-stricken Jim Stynes to impress on coach Dean Bailey how he felt about the Demons' 11-point victory over Port Adelaide in 2009.

The AFL's investigation into the Melbourne tanking affair has also been given evidence against chief executive Cameron Schwab, who, with football boss Chris Connolly, expressed his concern to Bailey after the round-15 victory.

Investigators have been told that Connolly later warned a large group of football staff they would be sacked if Melbourne kept winning.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/jobs-on-line-dees-warned-20121101-28mx2.html#ixzz2AzCc1uOu

Former Melbourne coach Dean Bailey told players to accept new ‘strategy'

Michael Warner
    November 01, 2012 11:00PM

A MELBOURNE player has broken his silence to reveal coach Dean Bailey called a player meeting to signal a sudden change in tactics midway through the 2009 season.

The player yesterday told the Herald Sun - on the condition of anonymity - that Bailey demanded no one ask questions about unusual positional changes in the second half of the season.

He said it was the moment the club set on the course to deliberately lose games to secure draft picks.

"It was at the Junction Oval. All the players got spoken to as a group," the player said.

"He (Bailey) took us in and said this is what we're going to do going forward for the rest of the year. This is the position we are at.

"He said: 'Look, you blokes are going to get played out of position. We want to see what roles you guys can play because now in today's game you need to play a number of roles and we are building a list to go forward'.

"'We need you guys to be able to do this, so don't be shocked or ask questions why -- because I'm telling you why right now'."

The player said the meeting took place in a portable shed at the Junction Oval known as "the vault".

The same room is alleged to have hosted another meeting of football department staff uncovered in the AFL tanking investigation.

He is the third Melbourne player, including original whistleblower Brock McLean, to speak up about the tanking tactics.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/dean-bailey-told-players-to-accept-new-strategy/story-e6frf9io-1226508732765

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2012, 08:42:29 AM »
Playing younger players for pure development reasons because you have the youngest list in the comp. as we did in 2010 or sending senior players for ops because the injury is significantly hampering their performance (ie. Vickery with his shoulder this year) is player management. Simulating these things because your club's main intention is to try and stay at or below a certain number of wins limit that earns your club an early priority pick is called tanking.

I'm not saying the Pies weren't smart doing what they did in 2005 as the AFL's draft system, especially back then with the pre-first round priority picks for just one bad season, rewarded such actions handsomely. They have a flag thanks to getting both Thomas and Pendelbury. However let's call a spade a spade. Just like Carlton in 2007, it wasn't hard to see what the Pies were up to in 2005 and that 4 goal cave-in late to North was very similar to the game Carlton threw away late in the last quarter ironically against the Pies in 2007.

The draft system rewarded such exploitive behaviour by clubs and encouraged other clubs to copy such behaviour having seen other clubs benefit for the exploitation of the priority pick system. IMO Melbourne went down the path they did because they lost out to Carlton in the Kruezer Cup. Carlton gained Kreuzer and Judd out of it while the Dees ended up with Cale Morton. The problem for Melbourne is they let everyone know about it as it was a directive from high up at the club all the way down and they weren't subtle about implementing what they wanted to do. Rather than their tanking occurring in the last 8 or so rounds of one season which can be construed as 'player management', they had planned a 2-3 year tank as the rules had changed by 2009 and you needed two poor seasons in a row to gain a pre-first round priority pick. Once they cut Bailey who felt he was only following orders and then Scully taking flight because he didn't like what was going on, the cat got out of the bag. The AFL have always taken a hard line against systematic breaches by clubs over a lengthy period. Adelaide is finding that out now as well but for different reasons to Melbourne (ie. Tippett contract affair).

IMO the following clubs "tanked"
2005 Collingwood
2007 Carlton
2009 Melbourne
2010 West Coast

Also the Hawks game against us late in 2005 where they lost after being 7 goals up on us at half-time (Pettifer got the winning goal in the last minute) was a handy loss for them as they remained on 5 wins and kept hold of their priority pick. I still remember Hawk fans celebrating a loss just as Dee fans did after that 2009 game.
No doubt there is a fine line between player managmenet and outright tanking. But to say that you could convince a number of players 8 weeks out from the end of the season that they would not be playing for the rest of the year when they were not really injured, and not have at least some of them crack the poos is a bit far fetched. Players just want to play footy and none worth their salt would be happy to sit on the sidelines for any period of time unless they were actually injured.

As for west cosat, they had a lot of injuries during 2010. If you compare them to us in 2012, it shows that a developing side doesn't need too many injuries to drop right away.

and then a side that has performed poorly all year throws away a half time lead? well they must be tanking. because they have shown all year they have the ability and mental aptitude to win games of football.

Shadows in every corner isnt there?

I also love the way that if the fans look at the bright side of a loss then that is proof the team was tanking.

Seriously, if the clubs in question sued OER for making such allegations about them, do you think you could even go close to providing enough evidence in a court of law to substantiate your claims?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2012, 05:39:13 AM »
Demons: shock & awful

Caroline Wilson
    The Age
    November 3, 2012

MELBOURNE president Don McLardy smarted for much of his club's abysmal 2012 football season over a tabloid headline trumpeted early in the year describing the Demons as ''pathetic and disgusting''.

Privately shattered at the awful truth that Melbourne was being forced to rebuild its list from scratch - again, punch-drunk from the misfortune that seemed to be hitting the club at every turn and lamenting the dreadful lack of fight onfield; McLardy still believed those words ''pathetic and disgusting'' were unforgivable.

If only his football life and its associated problems were so simple now. Melbourne in 2012 played some dreadfully uncompetitive football and in those first weeks, which stretched to months, was generally thrashed week in and week out. Still ''pathetic and disgusting'' did seem slightly harsh at the time.

Not any more. In the context of what has emerged in recent weeks in the form of evidence being put forward and corroborated by a number of witnesses, ''pathetic and disgusting'' sums it up pretty well.

McLardy issued a plea on his club's website on Friday for ''natural justice'' as the mounting weight of damning evidence that the club fixed matches continued to emerge in all its shocking detail. A picture is being painted for the AFL's investigative team of dark threats, amateurish tactics and blatant match manipulation. The indication is still that Melbourne will fight this, but it looks shocking for all concerned.

The AFL is praying that Jim Stynes - and McLardy and the board it strangely continues to extol - can be kept at a decent arm's length from the fall-out. But even if Stynes' legacy is spared because we might never truly know how much he knew, the game must cast aside concerns about legacies and images and football myths and concentrate on repairing the collateral damage.

Melbourne will be harshly punished. Cameron Schwab and Chris Connolly will be finished at the club. But football lives, young men who played no real active part in the treacherous football facade which took place at the club in 2009 were ruined or at the very least tarnished by their association with it.

It is nonsense to suggest the AFL must carry the can for Melbourne because it created a system which encouraged tanking. That is rot. The AFL was not complicit in this. At best it was naive and at worst the commission and its chief executive incompetent in failing to see what was being unveiled in front of them.

The AFL introduced the priority pick to help improve struggling clubs. Like the four-man interchange, it was well-intended but created issues it did not foresee. Finally it removed it because football boss Adrian Anderson and a team of academics demonstrated to the commission the advantage was generally too great for those teams that earned one, with some obvious exceptions: when clubs were too hopeless to pick the right players or develop them professionally or create an environment that retained them.

The commission agreed the day it scrapped the pick that it also created a bad perception that teams were tanking. This column's view is that the chairman, Mike Fitzpatrick, did not believe clubs plotted to lose. He seems to have been proven wrong. As we said, the AFL was probably incompetent but that should not save Melbourne.

Like Ross Oakley and his team when Nicky Winmar lifted his St Kilda jumper and two years later Michael Long spoke up about being racially taunted on Anzac Day, the current administration was far too slow to act on what it is now acting upon. But it never encouraged it and truly seems shocked at what it has learnt in recent times.

What the AFL, in fact, should feel sick about now is those players who aspired to its code, who walked into a football club believing in sportsmanship and playing to win and giving their all for victory. It is not surprising in hindsight that it has been a player who has lifted the lid on a secret Melbourne believed it could keep in the vault.

The Demons and their more rabid supporters keep banging on about the fact that everyone was doing it. No other club seems to have done it quite like this, though, and if Carlton is guilty then the current mood of the AFL indicates that club, too, will be forensically examined and punished.

Putting players in for surgery once a season is lost is not match-fixing because everyone associated with the game knows the playing field they are watching, backing or barracking upon. Even losing heart in one final game for an earlier pick seems more forgivable than systematic planning, career-ending threats and a plan which seems to have dragged on for weeks leading into months. To think that a player having on-field success was prevented from having more. No wonder Melbourne's misery continued to curse the club.

What Melbourne did in manipulating results was disgusting. The result of the fix was pathetic. To think that so many reputations could be destroyed and so many playing careers hurt all for one ambitious young footballer who began looking for a way out of the place after only one year.

If what some former players and coaches say is true, then the tanking was only the half of it. But to put in the fix for Tom Scully and not to create a training and development laboratory for all similarly-talented young men to improve and retain them is just so glaringly short-sighted. All those early draft picks gone. All those disillusioned once-proud Demons. What a sorry story.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/demons-shock--awful-20121102-28ppz.html#ixzz2B5lIKkuv

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2012, 05:41:42 AM »
Former Melbourne sponsor says senior Demons offical boasted about securing top two draft picks

Michael Warner
    November 03, 2012

A MELBOURNE Football Club official boasted openly about tanking, a former Demons sponsor has revealed.

A company representative who was at a meeting of big sponsors told the Herald Sun the official left him in no doubt Melbourne deliberately lost games so it could secure Tom Scully and Jack Trengove in the 2009 national draft.

"It was an off-the-cuff remark regarding the No.1 draft pick. He said words to the effect of: 'We made sure that happened'. He had a smile on his face at the time," the representative said.

"I mean everyone knew that it (tanking) happened, but I was just surprised that he actually came out and said it. He was trying to relay that they made sure they got the No.1 draft pick and the priority pick.

"Even though it was plainly obvious to everyone, you still don't expect to hear it being said."

The sponsor is the latest club figure to come forward and reveal details of Melbourne's alleged tanking strategy during the 2009 season.

Three players have now spoken out about the contentious "list management" tactics at the centre of an AFL investigation.

It is believed the league probe has uncovered significant evidence to suggest the club has a case to answer.

But the club's defence will centre around the pure definition of "tanking" compared to acceptable list management.

Melbourne president Don McLardy yesterday expressed concern over the impact of the investigation on the current group of players and coaches.

Amid a host damning revelations, he also pleaded for the club be treated fairly.

Full article here: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/former-melbourne-sponsor-says-senior-demons-offical-boasted-about-securing-top-two-draft-picks/story-e6frf9jf-1226509485103