Author Topic: Tanking affair darkens for Dees ....... (Age)  (Read 10189 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tanking affair darkens for Dees ....... (Age)
« on: October 30, 2012, 02:28:09 AM »
Tanking affair darkens for Dees

Caroline Wilson
    The Age
    October 30, 2012

THE AFL investigation into the Melbourne tanking affair has escalated with several key witnesses coming forward with fresh evidence, including repeated versions of at least one football meeting in 2010, the season in which the club was trying to win no more than four games.

The Age believes Melbourne now faces possible sanctions after league investigators re-interviewed several players and coaches who played a role in the four-point loss in round 18 to Richmond.

It is believed that recently a handful of club personnel have corroborated versions of discussions that took place leading up to some of Melbourne's strange losses that year - culminating in the Richmond loss, which saw Melbourne fans cheering when Tiger Jordan McMahon goaled after the siren.

Club president Don McLardy and his chief executive Cameron Schwab - both of whom also held leadership positions in 2009 - did not return calls from The Age last night. Among those re-interviewed by AFL investigator Brent Clothier were then senior coach Dean Bailey and all his assistants, former captain James McDonald and several teammates.
Advertisement

Football operations manager Adrian Anderson has come under pressure after the fresh tanking allegations, given his keen attention in other areas of the game to preserve its integrity.

Anderson said this month he understood the cynicism from AFL fans and the media but this was misplaced. ''It will take as long as it takes to do a thorough and proper job,'' he said.

The late Melbourne president Jim Stynes, in his book released several months ago, said of the affair: ''Melbourne never sat down our coach, Dean Bailey, and instructed him not to win games. But he, I and everybody at the club knew what an important bearing on the club's future that extra draft pick might have.''

Former player Brock McLean - whose comments prompted the probe - told Fox Footy's On the Couch that tanking prompted him to leave the club. ''Definitely,'' responded McLean, when asked whether his club's priority was not winning in 2009, ''and I think you would have to be blind Freddy to not figure that one out.''

McLean is on leave but has been re-interviewed by the AFL. In 2011, an earlier investigation by the league found the Demons had no case to answer for their actions during Bailey's tenure.

Anderson re-opened the investigation after Bailey, at his farewell press conference after being sacked, came close to admitting he had tanked.

AFL supremo Andrew Demetriou has consistently defended the Demons.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tanking-affair-darkens-for-dees-20121029-28g2n.html#ixzz2Ahb3WyBU

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tanking affair darkens for Dees ....... (Age)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 08:23:10 AM »
why didnt we go down this path?
if it was us being investigated for cheating the incident with edwards would barely be getting a mention.

another missed opportunity Richmond  :banghead
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

gerkin greg

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 09:44:06 AM »
Totally agree Al  :banghead

Plus think of how far up the ladder we'd be with all those draft picks

Instead it's just meaningless win after meaningless win at Richmond  :banghead :banghead

dwaino

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »
With the delisting of Graham and Post, and possible draft sanctions on Melbourne and Adelaide, this is turning into the greatest off season ever  :birthday :santa

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:59:30 PM »
Hope the get munged over.....smash em  :clapping

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 07:44:23 AM »
Senior Demons drove tanking

Date: October 31, 2012 88
Caroline Wilson: Chief Football Writer for The Age
View more articles from Caroline Wilson

Secrets from 'the vault'

THE AFL has uncovered a secret meeting involving at least 15 members of the Melbourne football department in which coaches were reminded of the importance of forfeiting matches in order to gain early draft picks.

Former Melbourne football boss Chris Connolly addressed the 2009 meeting, which it is believed was code-named ''the vault''.

The term vault relates to where the meeting took place - in the tin shed that runs between the two stands at Melbourne's old training ground at the Junction Oval. It is understood 15 people attended what began as a match committee meeting after the club's round 15 win over Port Adelaide, which was its second win in succession and lifted its tally for the year perilously close to its planned limit of four wins.

Advertisement Connolly is understood to have urged those at the meeting to ''stay the course'', warning that Melbourne supporters and other stakeholders would come down on it should it fail to secure a prized priority pick, which the club would receive if it won just four games.

The club is now receiving legal advice after at least four witnesses were recalled by the AFL and admitted the club planned to deliberately lose games of football. Among those to have confessed the meeting took place upon being re-interviewed are former coach Dean Bailey and his then assistant Josh Mahoney. The AFL investigation continued today with those witnesses recalled, including Demons' former recruiting manager Barry Prendergast, now at Carlton.

It is not known whether the meeting referred to a specific game or cluster of matches. Melbourne had several suspicious losses in 2009 including successive defeats over rounds 17 and 18 respectively to Sydney (18 points) and Richmond (four points). The Demons won just four games in 2009, and were rewarded with the first two picks in the national draft, collecting Tom Scully (a priority choice) and Jack Trengove.

It is understood Melbourne remains determined to fight any sanction and is looking at the legal definition of ''tanking'' in a bid to redefine their actions and those of other clubs over the past decade. The club is expected to come before the AFL Commission as early as next month.

As many as 10 witnesses are understood to have rolled over under pressure from AFL investigators Brett Clothier and Abraham Haddad, the league's intelligence co-ordinator.

Mahoney, who is now in charge of the Melbourne football department, did not attend Monday's first official pre-season training session. Bailey, who has not returned calls from Fairfax, fears he could be suspended by the AFL for his role in the affair.

Now a senior assistant with the Adelaide Crows, Bailey came close to blowing the whistle on Melbourne last year at his final press conference, after he was sacked, but failed to reveal the meeting in a subsequent AFL investigation. Bailey has told colleagues he regrets following the club line, which the AFL could establish was driven from the top.

It is not clear whether Jim Stynes' legacy will be tarnished by the investigation. Stynes, who was club chairman from 2008 to 2012, only partially addressed the tanking issue in his 2012 book before he died. The AFL recently named a community scholarship in his honour.

Chief executive Cameron Schwab, who was not present at the Connolly meeting in question, is also being investigated for alleged incriminating conversations with coaches. Schwab, who almost lost his job last year before Bailey was sacked, recently signed a new three-year agreement with the club. Connolly was removed from the football department at the end of 2011 but still works at the club.

The AFL has also interviewed former Demon assistants Mark Williams, Scott West, Kelly O'Donnell and Sean Wellman. Club president Don McLardy said he would make no comment until the investigation was completed.

AFL chief Andrew Demetriou, who constantly defended the club, counselled Schwab at the time and repeatedly denied tanking was taking place, said he was remaining at arm's length from the inquiry given his role as an AFL commissioner.

In August this year Demetriou again said he did not believe tanking existed in football but described it as one of the game's worst crimes.

The investigation was sparked by former Demon Brock McLean after he spoke of his misgivings about the club's manipulation of games on Fox Footy in July.

At least one other former player, Melbourne's then captain James McDonald, has also been interviewed although it is not known whether he has been recalled.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/senior-demons-drove-tanking-20121030-28h3c.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 08:51:08 AM »
im mindful to respect the dead but i wonder what Stynes stance and position on this whole affair was?
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 10:40:10 AM »
Karma.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 11:37:28 AM »
im mindful to respect the dead but i wonder what Stynes stance and position on this whole affair was?

Exactly

I've always thought that perhaps the AFL didn't go harder at investigating this previously because of who was president at the time and what he was dealing with
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 11:56:25 AM »

Exactly

I've always thought that perhaps the AFL didn't go harder at investigating this previously because of who was president at the time and what he was dealing with

IMO they could possibly now be ready to destroy the Flees now that Jimmy has gone. ooh and rightly so hope they get everything thats coming to them

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »

Exactly

IMO they could possibly now be ready to destroy the Flees now that Jimmy has gone. ooh and rightly so hope they get everything thats coming to them

I hope so lads. You've hit the nail on the head Daniel. Obvious to everyone but too afraid to ask. Time to look deeper into this and punish them Carlton style.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 07:48:33 PM »
I find it hard to get too angry or righteous with the dees.

After all they are/were afflicted with Mrs Watts and Mrs Morton.

It is a more a shake of the head and a deep sense of pity.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 08:38:38 PM »

thats nice, i dont

those tossers were laughing in our faces that mcmahon game. No ones laughing now and theres no Jimmy to hide behind.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 10:16:36 PM »

thats nice, i dont

those tossers were laughing in our faces that mcmahon game. No ones laughing now and theres no Jimmy to hide behind.

That's the problem Chuck having no emotion to a club like this would only take half a chance to kick the boot in like Nought yet copy anything we do and call it their own. Plageurism is what they called it when I was at uni.

Exactly Daniel whilst I hat losing to Nought as we are a better club than them in every way Melbourne smugness in their fans who hop on and off based on the quality of the snow season just riles me. Losing to them is like losing in footy to your sister. Just not on and should never happen. Soft and spoilt are the Dees and they deserve every hard line inspection into this.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 05:14:38 AM »
Tanking evidence mounting against Melbourne Demons

Michael Warner
    November 01, 2012

RICHMOND hearts sank when Carlton's Brock McLean fluked a match-winning goal with 42 seconds left on the clock on July 28.

But if the kick hurt the Tigers, it has done more damage to his old club Melbourne.

Three nights later, man-of-the-moment McLean dropped a bomb when invited to appear on Fox Footy's On The Couch.

The Demons, he declared, weren't trying to win games in 2009. He said it was why he quit the club. It was an explosive claim that reignited the AFL tanking debate and triggered a fresh investigation. Only this time the evidence against Melbourne is mounting.

The latest allegation surrounds a secret meeting of Melbourne football department staff at the Junction Oval in 2009.

It is said at least three club officials, past and present, have admitted to league investigators that the importance of losing games to secure a priority pick was discussed at that meeting.

Melbourne's loss to Richmond at the MCG a few weeks' after the meeting of football officials has long been hailed as exhibit No.1.

In laughable circumstances, Richmond's Jordan McMahon kicked a goal on the siren to win the match for Tigers. The Round 22 loss to St Kilda, involving several puzzling moves, has also been identified.

In August this year, the Herald Sun detailed accounts of another suspect game - Melbourne's Round 17 loss to Sydney at Manuka Oval.

Demons figures who attended an inner-sanctum dinner the night before the match say a football department boss openly indicated steps had been taken to reduce the prospects of a win.

"We'll be right - we've made eight changes," the official declared.Melbourne had already announced five key changes at team selection.

Then on the eve of the game, two more pulled out with ailments.Seven changes in all - not eight as predicted - and in a forgettable encounter the Swans got home by 18 points.

Even one of Melbourne's club doctors said "Blind Freddy could tell the team wasn't picked for optimal performance" late in the season.

In the Canberra match, Melbourne used its interchange bench 67 times. Its season average was 85. But Andrew Demetriou's reaction to the Herald Sun story was typical for a tanking non-believer.

The AFL boss dismissed the report as "lots of colourful language to try and determine an outcome".

"We don't go by that sort of story. We go by evidence," Demetriou said. "We've got a guy, (AFL investigator) Brett Clothier, who's very capable.

"If he gets to the bottom of something then we will deal with it but at the moment there's no evidence to sustain this allegation of tanking."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/tanking-evidence-mounting-against-melbourne/story-e6frf9mf-1226507824767