Author Topic: What your team needs (Bigpond)  (Read 2431 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
What your team needs (Bigpond)
« on: November 20, 2012, 09:15:50 PM »
What your team needs
By Adam Jones
Tuesday, November 20, 2012
Source: BigPond Sport

AFL LOWDOWN: Your club's picks, targets and their dream recruit at the 2012 AFL national draft

Richmond
If Grundy falls past Port Adelaide he will surely go to the Tigers. Richmond restocked their backline with free agents and boast a wealth of talent in the midfield, so a tall forward to ease the pressure on Jack Riewoldt is the number one concern. Richmond's ruck stucks are also in dire need of a boost (Ivan Maric and Tom Derickx are the only recognised ruckmen on their list) so Grundy ticks all the boxes.
Picks: 9, 32, 34, 43, 88, 100
Dream pick: Brodie Grundy (Sturt)

http://www.bigpondsport.com/what-your-team-needs/tabid/91/newsid/98654/default.aspx

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: What your team needs (Bigpond)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:15:56 PM »
At least someone gets it.

the claw

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 10:43:56 PM »
reckon we have 3 glaring weaknesses.
tall forwards. need 2
genuine mids need 3 or 4
ruckmen. need 1 could do with 2 imo.

grundy at 9 would be a must. so few high quality ruckmen fall into your lap like grundy would if he ended up with us.  we can possibly address the other needs later in the draft.

imo the next best ruckman availablke is jack hannath a mature 21 yr old from centrals. watched a bit of him where i can and he continues to track in the right direction. where to take him is the question. 43 or rookie. 43 may be too early but i dont think he will last to the rookie draft.

assuming grundy will go top 3 a dream sort of draft for me would be
stringer 9,
lonergan 32
lowrie 34
 best kpp at 43 or hannath.
hannath hopefully 82. failing that cameron symonds another ruckman.

if grundy was there with our first pick id go
9 grundy
32 lonergan.
34 lowrie
43 one of in no particular order kyle martin, dean towers, adam carter,rory atkins, jackson thurlow, dean kent.

thats 1 ruckman 3 mids
would definately put newman on the vets and get in early with 82  rather than psd a player and have a crack at a kpp.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 10:52:22 PM »
Bang - list structure 1st, 2nd & 3rd as a big man is the keystone when put in place will cover for the stocks for next 10 years.

Midfielders & soldiers next with 3 x 2nd round picks.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 11:59:01 PM »
We need another 2-3 more quality mids though as our midfield depth falls away quickly after our first half-dozen or so. These days they are usually found early on. You're unlikely to find a star mid these days at pick 32. 2nd rounders are more often than not soldier types using Magic's terminology. I'm not saying Vlastuin is that quality mid (he may or may not be. I haven't seen enough of him to judge) but we're more likely to find one at pick 9 than wait to 32.

I'm wary about picking up ruckman with early picks because they take longer to develop so it's riskier. With free agency it now seems simpler to just poach a ready-made ruckman from another club who may simply be lacking opportunity.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

the claw

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 12:25:11 AM »
We need another 2-3 more quality mids though as our midfield depth falls away quickly after our first half-dozen or so. These days they are usually found early on. You're unlikely to find a star mid these days at pick 32. 2nd rounders are more often than not soldier types using Magic's terminology. I'm not saying Vlastuin is that quality mid (he may or may not be. I haven't seen enough of him to judge) but we're more likely to find one at pick 9 than wait to 32.

I'm wary about picking up ruckman with early picks because they take longer to develop so it's riskier. With free agency it now seems simpler to just poach a ready-made ruckman from another club who may simply be lacking opportunity.
with what grundy has shown i dont think him a risk mt. better than kruezer imo and kruezer has been ruined by injury.
i watched luenberger at e/perth for two yrs the most athletic ruckman to that point i had seen. that was back what 5 7 yrs ago or more hes only just coming into his own, what with  injuries growing into his body gaining the strength size etc  etc. reckon grundy a far better prospect then luey.just cant see him slipping to us.in fact i cant see him getting past gws.
reckon they will take whitfield supposedly best available i dont agree. plowman best kpd available they are screaming out foe one, grundy best ruckman/tall available and they need one. at 12 and 14 they will get more mids like possibly orourke stringer god forbid etc.

just imagine the best mid , the best kpd, the best ruckman all meeting chrnic list needs but hey you still have 12 and 14 to come to use on bolstering what ever you want. they say they will take best available but with those picks what they really mean is best available need. which after all wont be too far off best available anyway.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 12:29:06 AM »
A dominant big man in his prime combined with 2 elite talents and a solid midfield core will prolong the top 4 window.

Eg. Ottens & Jolly, conversely St Kilda.

Not sure 2012 draft pick 9 (even higher given all the draft concessions is equivalent to about 16) is elite midfielder, however Grundy has elite big man potential.

Either way, draft principle must be best available, I do not subscribe to reaching for talent to justify a increase in resources or just to be clever.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 04:28:33 AM »
I totally agree a dominant big man in his prime is crucial to long-term success Darth. However in saying that your two examples support what I was getting get at. The clubs that originally drafted both Ottens and Jolly as 18 year olds never got the benefit of their prime years. They were both poached away in their 20s and won flags at their second and in Jolly's case third club as well. Free agency will only make poaching a ruckman about to hit his prime easier. Clubs will start to ask why do the hard yards investing time and development over potentially 5-6-7 years into a young ruckman who won't peak until he is 25+ when you can just go out and have a private unoffical word to a mature ruckman's manager whose client is looking for more opportunity as No.1 ruck at another club or a new challenge to revitalise his career.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »
Agree 100% MT.  A ruckman is the absolute last piece of the puzzle we need to chase.  Let someone else develop him for us.

the claw

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 03:34:04 PM »
I totally agree a dominant big man in his prime is crucial to long-term success Darth. However in saying that your two examples support what I was getting get at. The clubs that originally drafted both Ottens and Jolly as 18 year olds never got the benefit of their prime years. They were both poached away in their 20s and won flags at their second and in Jolly's case third club as well. Free agency will only make poaching a ruckman about to hit his prime easier. Clubs will start to ask why do the hard yards investing time and development over potentially 5-6-7 years into a young ruckman who won't peak until he is 25+ when you can just go out and have a private unoffical word to a mature ruckman's manager whose client is looking for more opportunity as No.1 ruck at another club or a new challenge to revitalise his career.
i think what is overloked here is the rewards you get for placing a ruckman on your list and having them develop and improve no matter how little.
jolly was a rookie pick hadnt really done anything at melb other than show promise and he bought to melb pick 15.  at age 28/29  hes then traded to collingwood for picks 14, and 46, jolley is one expensive footballer.
 so we wait 3 yrs to  chase a quality ruckman and at the end of the day it costs us a crack at a gun mid down the track.

personally i dont care what type we take with top 10 picks  as long as they are quality, grundy is quality.  i for one would much rather we go down the path of having 4 or 5 ruckmen on the list and developing our own.  keeping the ones we want and trading out the ones we dont for very good draft picks.

the simple fact with ottens is he was a #2 draft pick and we would have been crazy to not take him where we did. unfortunately for us we were poorly run and we as good as forced him out. still we gained picks 12 and 16 which were used poorly. he cost geelong 12,16 and moloney. id prefer we grow our own if possible i prefer we pay to actually ensure we have a quality one in our system long term.

you are not going to take a mid whos a foot soldier at 9. you are not going to take a kpp whos a foot soldier at 9 and you certainly are not going to take a ruckman whos a footsoldier at 9. no you are going to target quality. grundy is quality he is very much a worthy top 10 pick bloody hell hes a worthy top 3 pick.

this risk thing on taking ruckmen is a furphy, possibly the only ruckman to be taken top 10  to have failed in the entire history of the draft is lounder  in 87 and meeson in 04. the vast majority taken top 10 and its not a lot have been in the main good picks imo.
the vast majority of ruckmen have been taken later thus  a large percentage  of  ruckmen coming from here. they range from very good to hacks just like any other type taken.
 thing is  most of those taken early have been good pick ups especially in later yrs as we become more and more proficient at judging them.

how many long term quality  ruckmen have changed clubs its very few and when they do they are expensive. lets develop them and be the ones getting good picks for the excess ones we have.
down the track we are going to ask our ruckmen to compete with the likes of natinui/lycett  leuenberger/longer, smith/gorringe, etc lets throw real quality back at them.

carlton let jacobs go what did they lose they had 3 very good ruckmen still and they gained pick 34 and 67,  they allowed jacobs to go home to adelaide otherwise im sure they would have got more.
we got pick 43 for bloody angus graham surely the incentive is to grow our own and use the excess for valuable picks or needs these big buggers are expensive regardless of how good they are.

the claw

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 03:46:11 PM »
Agree 100% MT.  A ruckman is the absolute last piece of the puzzle we need to chase.  Let someone else develop him for us.
disagree. right at this minute two things say a ruckman is one of the most important things we need asap.
1/ 27 yr old maric with no proven replacement.
2/ maric has maybe 4  5 yrs left in him  it will take a young ruckman that long to get close to his prime and develop.

this tells me we sure as hell can do with a junior development ruckman who we are  as sure as we can be is quality, plus a mature ready to go ruckman in case maric is hurt.
you dont draft for the now you draft kids for 4 yrs down the track.
you trade and target late nd/rookie  mature players for the now.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 04:59:58 PM »
Enjoying the rational debate here fella's.

MT, I acknowledge that the Jolly & Ottens examples are relevant because they really are a reflection on how poorly Rich + Melb handled both rucks in their early development years. IMO, these clubs did not develop their talents sufficiently and when they sort alternative club structures they were able to develop their talents to the full degree towards premiership & AA success.

I would love Richmond to be able to develop a genuine big man that can dominate the ruck for 5 to 6 years, because it has not happened since the General in the 70's.

IMHO, a 1st round draft pick for a genuine prospect is a reasonable price to pay now when in a development phase within a well managed and structured list, because the price to pay (either trading picks or players, free agency and TPP $ when in top 4 mode) could mean the loss of midfield depth and/or Grade A midfielders being squeezed out.

There would also be enormous satisfaction in developing your own ruck stocks whilst simultaneously building an A Grade midfield.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 05:20:11 PM »
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 05:57:29 PM »
Put this here rather than starting a new thread ...

Club by club drafting priorities
By Josh Rickard
boundforglory.com
November 21, 2012, 5:07 pm

Richmond
Picks: 9, 31, 33, 42, 87, 100

Another winner of the trade/free agency period, the Tigers went out and got a defender to help Alex Rance in Troy Chaplin from Port Adelaide, as well as and two goal kickers to assist Jack Riewoldt in Chris Knights and Aaron Edwards. With pick 9, the Tigers will look for a player to add to their already established midfield, another young developing ruckman and more key defenders.

Players to draft if available:
Nick Vlastuin (187cm, 86kg, midfielder)
Sam Mayes (187cm, 78kg, midfielder)
Daniel Currie (201cm, 93kg, ruckman)
Nick Graham (183cm, 79kg, midfielder)
Joel Tippett (196cm, 92kg, defender)
Liam McBean (203cm, 87kg, ruckman)
Rory Atkins (186cm, 81kg, forward)
Jason Pongracic (183cm, 87kg, forward).

http://boundforglorynews.com/club-by-club-drafting-priorities/

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 10:44:44 PM »
disagree. right at this minute two things say a ruckman is one of the most important things we need asap.
1/ 27 yr old maric with no proven replacement.
2/ maric has maybe 4  5 yrs left in him  it will take a young ruckman that long to get close to his prime and develop.

this tells me we sure as hell can do with a junior development ruckman who we are  as sure as we can be is quality, plus a mature ready to go ruckman in case maric is hurt.
you dont draft for the now you draft kids for 4 yrs down the track.
you trade and target late nd/rookie  mature players for the now.

Good points Claw, even if I don't agree.   :thumbsup

I think our priority right here, right now should be to stuff our midfield with as many good players (kids) as we can.  We have addressed our main immediate structural deficiencies in the trade period with Chaplin, Knights and Edwards and I think we only need to add a stop-gap ruckman for now in case Maric goes down.  We still have Vickery and to a lesser extent Derrickx but we do need one more backup - I just don't believe he needs to be topline today.  We don't need a serious A Grade ruckman until we are ready for a fair dinkum tilt and we aren't there yet.  We might be in 2 years and Maric might still be our best option then but regardless, we don't need a replacement or genuine backup until then.  What we do need (to quote an RFC-supporting mate who works for a rival club in analysis/recruiting) is an "overflowing hamburger".  His analogy (belief) is that modern premierships are won by employing an overflowing hamburger approach - stuff your side full of quality midfielders and no opposition can keep enough of them in check to win games.  Like a hamburger chock full of good things - no matter how you hold it or try to eat it, onions and pineapple and beetroot and tomato and mushrooms will always overflow out the sides!  And that is where I believe our developmental focus needs to be this draft period.

We don't need to waste a top draft pick on a ruckman that will develop anyway and we can chase later on when we really need them.  In my opinion the 'cost' aspect of getting a ruckman ready to go is not nearly as much as the cost of not getting an A Grade midfielder when we have a viable draft pick and then having to go shopping for one to round out our side when the flag opportunity comes knocking.  I don't for one minute underestimate or undervalue the importance of having a top line ruckman but unless we are a genuine chance at a flag then insurance is not a valid reason and we already have an AA candidate in our team.  When the time is right we can target the one who we believe best fits our needs and spend what it takes but in the meantime I am a firm advocate of filling that hamburger.  We can draft a project ruckman with a late or rookie pick and that all makes good sense but pick #9 on Thursday on an 18 year old ruckman would in my opinion be a waste of a pick and potentially cost us big time down the track.