Author Topic: Rookie draft thread  (Read 15663 times)

the claw

Re: Rookie draft thread
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »
jack hannath - 21 22 yo  imo a better ruck prospect than mcbean. has been playing against some pretty stiff oposition in the sanfl.  reckon he could fill in if need be in the short termhas long term prospects. we need a ruckman

kyle martin - mature 22 yo mid with excellent skills. has shown he can really play next level down would be a better option than most kids left and a better otion than some we have in our system.
we need more mids has to be worth giving a game to.

sam lowrie - really big bodied mid who is both inside and out finds the ball has a big engine and he takes a good grab as well. he broke his leg last yr and then his collarbone in a senior game for sth freo this yr, because of this i reckon hes gone under the radar. i had him between 30 and 40 in the draft. we need more mids.

alex howson - tall forwad kicked the most goals in the colts this yr with 58 has played back as well. we need a tall forward.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 11:45:28 AM »
What's the deal with Colquhoun being over looked? thought he was a early to mid draft selection in most phantoms. Bit like Frost last year and was lucky enough to get a promo this year.

He is a great kick of the footy but is considered a bit "outside and soft" in terms of getting the footy, I would nevertheless like to see us rookie him at Richmond and give him a chance.

x2  :thumbsup

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 03:40:31 PM »
So in total we have 4 picks for Rookies and none on the main list ??.I only want one reycled player a ruckman that's all.The rest kids and if Toy performs maybe him.We should get Shane Nelson went back and worked hard in the wafl after being unlucky to get drafted last year and had a great year ready to step up rd 1 to rather him then Salopek.
from what ahrdwick said a while back, most rookie picks will be used on mature age blokes.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

the claw

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 03:47:17 PM »
if we are looking to get some genuine pace into the list mathew haynes would be the go. big concerns about how outside he is and defensive side of the game.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »
if we are looking to get some genuine pace into the list mathew haynes would be the go. big concerns about how outside he is and defensive side of the game.

Your concerns are spot on. He'd be considered soft in non-contact sports.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 03:08:51 AM »
This is a vital period for our list. IMO we should be looking to find long term upgrade for the following
 King. Jackson. White. Darrou. Verrier. A.Edwards. Derickx. McGaune.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 02:17:26 PM »
Still feel we need more X factor and an upgrade on King and Nahas. IMHO this guy would be electric:

Anthony Tipungwuti

He is a human highlight reel!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=vXTTECFeBjM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvXTTECFeBjM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=ZduWcLMZntA

A dual sided quick goal kicking forward that reads the play beautifully!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

the claw

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 11:55:48 PM »
with grimes with a confirmed tendon tear i have 5 who i prefer rather than 4. 4 of the following 5 or similar types would do me.
 1/kyle hartigan kpd.  22yo

2/ kyle martin  mid deserves a chance 22yo.

3/ jack hannath  ruckman who could possibly play now is imo the second best ruckman in the nd rookie draft.

4/ one of alex howson a key forward we do need to balance outt this area. or sam lowrie a big bodied 18 yo old inside out mid we still need plenty of genuine mids.
i just wish we had 3 or 4 more picks most of which i would use on mature players.

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 04:29:27 AM »
Hartigan gets towelled up pretty often. Do not want.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 07:07:12 AM »
No to Wood

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 07:01:46 PM »
Less than 30 rookies set to be taken in the December draft

Sam Landsberger
    November 29, 2012

Players hoping for a second chance will be fighting with youngsters overlooked in last week's draft, with less than 30 picks likely to be used in the December 11 rookie draft.

The AFL slashed rookie lists from six to four ahead of 2013 after a two-year spike as new franchises Gold Coast and GWS were introduced.

One player manager said it was unpredictable how clubs would attack the December 11 draft and said the squeeze would result in a number of AFL-standard players being stranded in 2013.

"We think there’ll be about 28 picks,’’ Justin Reid of Elite Sports Properties said.

"List management has got really tight because everyone loaded up on rookies because of the new franchises and there’s been a real squeeze effect.’’

Sam Colquhoun, Dayle Garlett, Darcy Fort, Jason Pongracic, Will Hams and Adam Saad lead the teenage crop of players hoping to graduate to AFL level next month, while St Kilda is close to snaring former Docker defender Dylan Roberton.

Several clubs will not have a single pick in the rookie draft after retaining their 2012 quota of rookies.

Geelong brought in just two new players at the national draft and will have no rookie selections.

Of the Cats six rookies this season, they were forced to cut Jon Simpkin (who signed at Hawthorn), promoted Jesse Stringer to the senior list and retained the rest.

Essendon is also set to baulk at holding a live pick in the rookie draft after committing to redrafting Ariel Steinberg.

Brisbane today delisted Bartlett but says it will re-draft him in December.

Clubs can list a maximum of 40 senior players and four rookies next year, but many will adopt a 39-5 or 38-6 breakdown for salary cap purposes.

The rookie draft has been so successful in having players listed go onto play many games at all AFL clubs.

"I tend to think a lot of the clubs will be doing that because it’s hard to carry 40 (senior players)," Reid said.

"It’s not a bad thing because it’s while it’s harder to get into the system it creates equality through the competition and hopefully a better competition."

Calder Cannons talent manager Ian Kyte said in a normal rookie draft he would expect another two of his players to graduate but they were now "borderline" selections.

"The rookie draft has been so successful in having players listed go onto play many games at all AFL clubs," he said.

"We’re going to suffer most in the first year. This is when the kids are going to find it harder to get onto an AFL list and I’m not sure how public it is to a lot of people.

"There will certainly be kids from last year that were hoping to go to VFL and then get rookied and it doesn’t help them, either.

"It’s tough to get into this industry and this just means it might take a little bit longer and a bit more hard work."

Kyte said while it was frustrating this season it should make the AFL a fairer competition given some clubs could struggle to continually prop up six rookies.

Collingwood could use up to three selections after clearing out most their rookies in September and are eyeing Ben Hudson and Port Melbourne midfielder Sam Dwyer.

The rookie and pre-season draft order is yet to be finalised and subject to the final list lodgement and salary cap standings.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/less-than-30-rookies-are-set-to-be-taken-in-the-december-draft/story-e6frf9jf-1226526670647

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 11:07:49 PM »
No to Wood

Look if given a choice il go the big o but have you seen enough games of Wood?

Its a concern Pies dumped in without a recognized back up until grundy

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 07:29:19 AM »
No to Wood

Actually daniel they had a backs up on their list, you could argue they had/have 2

Jarrod Witts
208cm
113kgs

Lachie Keffe
204cm
100kgs

think the Pies knew exactly what they were doing
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 12:22:55 PM »
No to Wood

Actually daniel they had a backs up on their list, you could argue they had/have 2

Jarrod Witts
208cm
113kgs

Lachie Keffe
204cm
100kgs

think the Pies knew exactly what they were doing

Is Keffe any good as a ruckman? Geez Collingwood actually look to have some good ruck stocks.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 12:49:17 PM »
Yeah and our ruck back ups are still NIL.....
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"