Author Topic: Cotchin's captaincy [merged]  (Read 34310 times)

gerkin greg

Re: Cotchin named Captain
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2012, 09:22:30 AM »
what are you on about billy?

Read the website article al, says it was decided by vote TODAY

Please! How? Half the footy dept is in Qld, some players are down on the Peninsula

So how did this all suddenly get done today

Its called a mobile phone

;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2012, 09:47:03 AM »
As I said I dont' agree with Cotch keeping number 9 and not taking number 17 as I have always been a supporter of the concept of the captain wearing number 17 since its introduction

As I said I don't expect people to agree with me and I will admit I have I have changed my mind a couple of times about it over the last few days. Simply thinking about the the idea that we get drummed into us from a very young age when we play sport about the clubs being bigger than any individual and how it fits in this scenario? And funnily enough you can use it to fit both sides of this very argument

Anyway this is my take  ;D

It is a massive honour to be named captain of your club. When you accept the honour you have a responsibility to take on everything that goes with it, everything. At the RFC part of that honour means (since 2004) you wear number 17. It was a point of difference at our Club.

I posted the other day that to have a tradition it has to start somewhere for the RFC this "tradition" started in 2004. And I for one backed the club on it because ALL the reasonings behind it were right. With that in mind I think Cotch should be wearing number 17

Other traditions in other sports had to start somewhere but are now viewed as traditions. Just watching the test cricket is the perfect example Australia started the "tradition" of players shirts carrying the number that represents what number test player they are. This is a relatively new concept that now all countires follow (even Sth Africa has it despite the farcical numbering system). Australian players wearing the "Baggy Green" during the first session when they field of every test match is now a tradition, that is only recent as it was started by Mark Taylor BTW not Steve Waugh who seems to get credit for it

Whether people agree with the number 17 concept or not it is what is in place at our Club and my view is it should be at the very least be respected. 

Having said that I was impressed with Cotch's reasonings as to why he wants to keep number 9, he articulated them extremely well which is just another reason why this young man deserves to be our captain. I respect his views and his willingness to standby them and make the choice he has. But it doesn't mean I have to agree with him just like I don't expect people to agree with me

Just my take  :thumbsup

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 05:36:19 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2012, 10:12:05 AM »
I agree with above post. I reckon if you can't accept the conditions that captaincy at RFC brings, then think twice about doing it. I reckon Lids would ditch his number in a flash for the captaincy. Having said that, it takes courage to break from tradition, albiet a new one, and i think this typifies Cotch's approach to footy.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 10:31:53 AM »
All I GAF about is what happens on the field and to me Chimp is by far the best leader we have. But fair enough Bill.P

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2012, 10:39:59 AM »
As I said I dont' agree with Cotch keeping number 9 and not taking number 17 as I have always been a supporter of the concept of the captain wearing number 17 since its introduction

As I said I don't expect people to agree with me and I will admit I have I have changed my mind a couple of times about it over the last few days. Simply thinking about the the idea that we get drummed into us from a very when we play sport about the clubs being bigger than any individual and how it fits in this scenario? And funnily enough you can use it to fit both sides of this very argument

Anyway this is my take  ;D

It is a massive honour to be named captain of your club. When you accept the honour you have a responsibility to take on everything that goes with it, everything. At the RFC part of that honour means (since 2004) you wear number 17. It was a point of difference at our Club.

I posted the other day that to have a tradition it has to start somewhere for the RFC this "tradition" started in 2004. And I for one backed the club on it because ALL the reasonings behind it were right. With that in mind I think Cotch should be wearing number 17

Other traditions in other sports had to start somewhere but are now viewed as traditions. Just watching the test cricket is the perfect example Australia started the "tradition" of players shirts carrying the number that represents what number test player they are. This is a relatively new concept that now all countires follow (even Sth Africa has it despite the farcical numbering system). Australian players wearing the "Baggy Green" during the first session when they field of every test match is now a tradition, that is only recent as it was started by Mark Taylor BTW not Steve Waugh who seems to get credit for it

Whether people agree with the number 17 concept or not it is what is in place at our Club and my view is it should be at the very least be respected. 

Having said that I was impressed with Cotch's reasonings as to why he wants to keep number 9, he articulated them extremely well which is just another reason why this young man deserves to be our captain. I respect his views and his willingness to standby them and make the choice he has. But it doesn't mean I have to agree with him just like I don't expect people to agree with me

Just my take  :thumbsup

Agree on what you've said WP, its hard to disagree or argue against what you've said.

Wearing a certain number in footy has been made out to be a big deal. Whether its the number 1 guernsey, whether its number 12 Richos old number or number 9 Campbells old number; its a big deal, which seems silly but thats the way it is.

The part I don't like about the whole Captain wears 17 thing, is the number jumping seems contradictive to its purpose. The captaincy, for arguments sake lets say went to Matt Dea who has worn 2 numbers at the club, 40 something and now 7, now he's captain (hypothetically) he's now 17. Every number has its history and every player is given a number to respect and adhere to, yet we jump numbers around 2-3 times in players career which depletes the argument of having a certain number for the captain and respecting numbers of past players etc.

I'm all for the purpose of recognising a jumper the captain wears, however I think reshuffling the numbers to suit 1 is contradictive. Put a 'JD' under the sponsor on the captains chest or on the back of the neck line I think would be more appropriate.

I also like the fact Cotchin enjoys seeing kids wearing his number and has a sense of pride and almost guilt for leaving those kids behind and changing numbers. As fans it'd annoy me if I bought a $120 jumper and the number I had was now obsolete.

As for Cotchins decision and the 'knockers' against saying he should adhere to everything the club says, I think we can take positive out of Cotchins loyalty to his own jumper and his own history and how proud of it he is. I think that's been missed somewhat and is far more important than the mickey mouse, pointless, musical chairs of numbers on the back.
Go Tigers!

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2012, 10:54:56 AM »
Well done Cotch you deserve it and I am sure you will lead our great club to success.. :clapping
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

gerkin greg

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »
3-1-1 record as skipper

get chimping chimp

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2012, 12:14:15 PM »

Offline Crumden

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2012, 02:29:35 PM »

As I said I don't expect people to agree with me and I will admit I have I have changed my mind a couple of times about it over the last few days. Simply thinking about the the idea that we get drummed into us from a very when we play sport about the clubs being bigger than any individual and how it fits in this scenario? And funnily enough you can use it to fit both sides of this very argument

That bit about the club being bigger than the individual is the reason I have never liked the idea of giving number 17 to the captain.  Everything from the club mascot to the dunny brush at Punt Road is named after Captain Blood and adding the captains number IMO was an attempt to define the whole club by reference to one individual. It consigned the feats of other great club captains like Roger Dean (3), Royce Hart (4) and others to the dustbin with the possum poo from Frawleys desk.

I understand that new traditions can be forged, but clubs are also built on strong leaders who aren't afraid to question traditions. I see this as a great sign of confidence in his own leadership by Cotch.  :clapping

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2012, 03:39:38 PM »
I mentioned in a post a week or so ago that Cotch, despite being just 22 y.o., cares a lot about the kids that follow the Tiges given he's involved in the Cotch's cubs footy clinics. He knows there's heaps of kids out there with the #9 on their jumper. Expecting all of them (moreso their parents) to go out and buy new jumpers with #17 on them just so they can still wear their favourite player's number is unfair especially on those who may not be able to afford a new jumper. The #17 concept worked with Cambo and Newy because they weren't front of the list with the kids. Richo and Knighter and even Daffy were the fan favourites. Likewise Cotch, Jack and Lids when Newy was captain. Cotch is the first captain during this #17 concept that is also a fan favourite. The concept was a nice idea and I supported it at the time but it doesn't work in Cotch's case so the right decision IMHO was made to now dump it.

As far as tradition only one flag out of our 10 was won with the captain wearing #17 and that was Jack himself in 1943. Hopefully Cotch in the #9 makes it as our 11th premiership captain  :pray (and 12th, 13th. 14th, etc ....  ;D )

1920-21. Dan Minogue (#12 & #1)
1932-34. Perce Bentley (#1)
1943.      Jack Dyer (#17)
1967.      Fred Swift  (#15)
1969.      Roger Dean (#3)
1973-74. Royce Hart (#4)
1980.      Bruce Monteath (#11)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »
The Cotch is a freak footballer and unfortunately the 17 has been sullied by a previous ordinary skipper who recently wore it.

Go the Cotch and create a legend with the number 9

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2012, 06:46:01 PM »
No.9 Trent Cotchin (Captain)
No.3 Brett Deledio (Vice-Captain)

Just looks, sounds and seems better!

I would like to hear Campbell, Johnson and Newman's reaction?

I wanted Cotchin to keep his number but does this seem a bit selfish?

Love Cotchin and would give him anything he asks.

He is a born Captain and just the Captain we need in the heat of the moment to stand up when the tough gets going.

After that Gold Coast loss, I thought just give the captaincy to him now.

Cotchin stands up WHERE it matters ... the midfield!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2012, 10:52:56 PM »

I would bet they are behind him 100%.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2012, 02:00:19 AM »
Meh.

Tradition that's around since 04 is hardly tradition.

No.9 Trent Cotchin (Captain)
No.3 Brett Deledio (Vice-Captain)

Just looks, sounds and seems better!

I wanted Cotchin to keep his number but does this seem a bit selfish?

Love Cotchin and would give him anything he asks.

He is a born Captain and just the Captain we need in the heat of the moment to stand up when the tough gets going.

After that Gold Coast loss, I thought just give the captaincy to him now.

Cotchin stands up WHERE it matters ... the midfield!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2012, 01:42:03 PM »
Meh.

Tradition that's around since 04 is hardly tradition.

Traditions to become traditions have to start somewhere Bents. Every single "tradtion" in world sport had to start somewhere.

The numbering of test players shirts has only been in place about 7-8 years (if that) but now every test playing nation does it and it's consider a tradition. The "tradition" presenting new Aust players with their "Baggy Green" just prior to a test has only be in vogue a few years now but it's now called a tradition. Are you saying all these "traditions" should be ignored simply because they've only been happening for a few years?

The Green Jacket at Augusta is a tradition but it had to start somewhere

Just looking at the AFL - the Grand Final Parade is considered a traditional part of GF week but has only been going for what maybe 30 years, the ANZAC Day game is referred to the "traditional ANZAC Day clash",

So how many years does something have to be in place before it's deemed a tradition, would seem it varies on a case by case basis depending on the argument 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)