Author Topic: Champion Data rates Richmond's list as 10th best ........... (Herald-Sun)  (Read 7894 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Champion Data has rated our list as 10th best.

HOW YOUR CLUB RATES

HAWTHORN                   Defenders 2nd               Midfield / Rucks 9th             Forwards 1st              LIST QUALITY 1st

WEST COAST                  Defenders 4th               Midfield / Rucks 7th             Forwards 4th             LIST QUALITY 2nd

SYDNEY                          Defenders 3rd               Midfield / Rucks 2nd             Forwards 11th            LIST QUALITY 3rd

FREMANTLE                    Defenders 10th              Midfield / Rucks 5th             Forwards 3rd             LIST QUALITY 4th

COLLINGWOOD              Defenders 5th               Midfield / Rucks 1st             Forwards 14th           LIST QUALITY 5th

ADELAIDE                        Defenders 6th               Midfield / Rucks 4th             Forwards 7th            LIST QUALITY 6th

GEELONG                        Defenders 1st               Midfield / Rucks 8th            Forwards 12th            LIST QUALITY 7th

ESSENDON                      Defenders 7th              Midfield / Rucks 10th            Forwards 5th             LIST QUALITY 8th

CARLTON                       Defenders 14th               Midfield / Rucks 3rd            Forwards 2nd             LIST QUALITY 9th

RICHMOND                   Defenders 13th                Midfield / Rucks 6th             Forwards 6th            LIST QUALITY 10th

NORTH MELBOURNE      Defenders 11th              Midfield / Rucks 11th            Forwards 9th             LIST QUALITY 11th

ST KILDA                         Defenders 8th              Midfield / Rucks 13th            Forwards 13th           LIST QUALITY 12th

MELBOURNE                   Defenders 12th             Midfield / Rucks 16th            Forwards 8th             LIST QUALITY 13th

BRISBANE                        Defenders 9th              Midfield / Rucks 14th           Forwards 15th            LIST QUALITY 14th

WESTERN BULLDOGS      Defenders 17th            Midfield / Rucks 15th           Forwards 10th            LIST QUALITY 15th

GOLD COAST                   Defenders 15th             Midfield / Rucks 17th           Forwards 16th           LIST QUALITY 16th

PORT ADELAIDE              Defenders 18th             Midfield / Rucks 12th           Forwards 17th            LIST QUALITY 17th

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY Defenders 16th        Midfield / Rucks 18th          Forwards 18th             LIST QUALITY 18th

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Champion Data says Alastair Clarkson will coach the most talented list in 2013 as the Hawks seek redemption for last season's heartbreak at the hands of Sydney.

The 2013 AFL Prospectus - the ultimate number-cruncher for football fanatics - has laid bare the quality of each club's playing roster.

Using Champion Data rankings points as a base, for the first time players who played at least five games in the last two years have been given a value.

The top ranked player in each position is rated at 100 points and the bottom rated at zero points, with every other player assessed relative to those in the same position and scaled to fit in-between.

Gold Coast's Gary Ablett, for example, is the top-ranked midfielder and judged to be worth 100 points. The fact the next best onballer, Collingwood's Scott Pendlebury, is back on 92 points highlights how far ahead Ablett is.

Hawthorn's galaxy of stars has given it an average player rating of 56.34 - ranked No.1 in the AFL. The Hawks have star power on every line and have taken their vulnerable defence to a No.2 ranking by acquiring Brian Lake.

But the sleeping giant may well be West Coast, who rank second on the quality index at 54.98. The Eagles bat deep, with 17 players ranking in the top 35 per cent of their positions - two more than any other club.

Premier Sydney sit third with an equal league-low 28 players fitting the five-game criteria in the last two years, highlighting its injury management or good luck.

Incredibly, the Swans have only five players - Jude Bolton, Jarrad McVeigh, Andrejs Everitt, Gary Rohan and Lewis Jetta - who were taken in the top 20 of a national draft when originally brought into the AFL system.

They have killed the bottom-out theory up.

Fremantle are a surprise fourth, driven by a much-improved midfield and a forward line ranked third in the competition despite a lack of key position power.

Collingwood sit fifth, but look ominous. The battle-hardened Pies are now the No.1 list for experience, while remaining only the fifth oldest.

The Magpies boast the best midfield in the AFL with Pendlebury and Dane Swan, but there are questions over their forward line, which ranks just 14th.

Carlton is ninth on the quality ladder and while its midfield strength is no secret (ranked third), its forward line was surprisingly judged to be the second-best in the league.

Jarrad Waite, Eddie Betts and Jeff Garlett boost the Blues' rating, but with Waite often injured and without a legitimate back-up, lack of depth may become an issue.

- 2013 AFL PROSPECTUS order at championdata.com.au for $39.95 (RRP). Free delivery for pre-orders before Christmas (within Australia). Deliveries around mid-January, in bookstores February.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/hawks-boast-afls-top-list-but-eagles-are-set-to-soar/story-e6frf9io-1226536434200

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Champion Data rates Richmond's list as 10th best ........... (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 06:05:14 AM »
I'm surprised our forwards are ranked that high and defence that low but overall rating is about right
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Ruanaidh

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 06:15:06 AM »
Where we will improve dramatically this year is in defence with the addition of a fit Grimes and Chappy. Therefore, sixth would be closer to our actual  position in 2013 ... .. at least I hope it is.

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 10:59:47 AM »
This is a good indicator of where we need to be.
Not far off actually(the Data I mean).

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »
If we can improve 1 we will be ninth......again

I think we are better than that BUT it is an honest appraisal without any fluff to try to unashamedly sell more copies of the Herald Sun in the first few weeks of the season by pumping up Richmonds chances

Offline Crazy_Ivan

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 11:18:18 AM »
How the hell do carlton have the 2nd ranked Fwd line?Surely taking the pee. :huh

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 11:20:12 AM »
Stopped reading at Essendon 8th
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 11:36:09 AM »
Just shows how stats can be misleading if you present them a certain way.

Melbourne, a side that leaked goals more than every side bar GWS and Suns are rated 12th for Defenders - ahead of us and Carlton - even though they had 398 more points than us and 416 more than Carlton, kicked against them for the year.

And conversely Carlton, a side who finished 11th in total points scored for the year is rated 2nd for forwards, ahead of North (9th) who scored 280 more points and Adelaide (6th) who scored 349 more points than them for the year.

Heap of crap if you ask me.

gerkin greg

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 11:39:15 AM »
Agree with our man Smoke

Champion Data is the new Dungeons & Dragons

Rot

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 12:25:57 PM »
This is a great help ranking players and teams....for Fantasy Competitions but we all know that statistics do not tell the full story. A player like Grimes who spoils all day but doesn't get as much possessions as a player like Houli would be ranked lower than him as a defender. Similarly defensive forwards are not rated.

Really you can't rank a team on individual efforts. It takes a variety of players all playing their role and all working for each other to make a strong team.

Good for Supercoach though! :)

dwaino

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »
Agree with our man Smoke

Champion Data is the new Dungeons & Dragons

Rot

>:(

We'll settle that over a 2d20.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 06:26:16 PM »
Just shows how stats can be misleading if you present them a certain way.

Melbourne, a side that leaked goals more than every side bar GWS and Suns are rated 12th for Defenders - ahead of us and Carlton - even though they had 398 more points than us and 416 more than Carlton, kicked against them for the year.

And conversely Carlton, a side who finished 11th in total points scored for the year is rated 2nd for forwards, ahead of North (9th) who scored 280 more points and Adelaide (6th) who scored 349 more points than them for the year.

Heap of crap if you ask me.

:clapping :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 08:06:07 PM »
What a bloody joke , defense 13th, try rance grimes chappy and morris for size, thats top 5 by most reckoning :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 08:11:25 PM »
What a bloody joke , defense 13th, try rance grimes chappy and morris for size, thats top 5 by most reckoning :shh

No it's not. Two of those players are average and the other two are good. Although Grimes is always injured.

tony_montana

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »
WGAF