Author Topic: Things that boil your noodle.  (Read 6711 times)

dwaino

Things that boil your noodle.
« on: January 15, 2013, 10:30:17 AM »
Not implying any innuendo.  ;D

It's the offseason, back at work, bored pooless and craving something mentally stimulating. Feel free to drop anything scientific, philosophical, metaphysical, or just plain thought provoking or brain busting. Also try to remain objective.

To start, I was re-watching Stephen Hawkings' latest Into the Universe series again last week, particularly an episode on black holes and creation. He stated that in a black hole time does not exist, therefore there was no time before the singularity. This is something hard to comprehend. Probably as hard as teaching Sagan's Flat-landers about 'up.' That is until you start breaking down the principles of black holes such as dimensional warping and such. Only this way can our simple brains nut it out.

After that I tried to begin a process of imagining a tesseract. And I can't for the life of me confidently say I can imagine it, and I don't mean just understanding it. We are tuned to perceive a limited amount of dimensions and sensations. When a pit viper sees a thermal image of its prey we imagine some sort of military hardware of a blue image and red targets. But this is using our own visible light spectrum to comprehend a frequency see we cannot see. I guess this brings in the epistemological question...

K, go  :P

gerkin greg

Re: Things that boil your noodle.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 10:36:03 AM »
There are 11 dimensions, i've seen 10, still trying to crack the last. This consumes a lot of my time, which may or may not exist in the first place.

dwaino

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 10:49:21 AM »
Props to Gerks and string theory  ;D

Some good docos with Michio Kaku on YouTube about it.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:57:33 AM »
If actions speak louder than words, how the can the pen be mightier than the sword?

Practice makes perfect, so they say, but we are also told that no one is perfect, so what's the point in practicing?

If you have an open mind, why doesn't all your knowledge fall out?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

gerkin greg

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:01:35 AM »
Props to Gerks and string theory  ;D

Some good docos with Michio Kaku on YouTube about it.

I find stillnox combined with various other skull relaxants will at least get you to your own 5th dimension documentary and from there you can choose your own adventure

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 01:03:49 PM »
Its been a few years now but I am still dirty that they took the Ukranian jelly wrestling off Fox.

dwaino

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 07:24:38 PM »
If actions speak louder than words, how the can the pen be mightier than the sword?

I couldn't find the whole scene, but you reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN6eDHaniB0  ;D

Is both the action and the proverb?

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 03:01:17 PM »
I'm still trying to build a motherboard entirely out of my own snot in an effort to create some form of biotechnological breakthrough. I'm stuck at a point where I try to make a processor call via booger number 3 and it says NO! Any ideas? Certainly not a dry joint issue.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 09:03:08 PM »
Not implying any innuendo.  ;D

It's the offseason, back at work, bored pooless and craving something mentally stimulating. Feel free to drop anything scientific, philosophical, metaphysical, or just plain thought provoking or brain busting. Also try to remain objective.

To start, I was re-watching Stephen Hawkings' latest Into the Universe series again last week, particularly an episode on black holes and creation. He stated that in a black hole time does not exist, therefore there was no time before the singularity. This is something hard to comprehend. Probably as hard as teaching Sagan's Flat-landers about 'up.' That is until you start breaking down the principles of black holes such as dimensional warping and such. Only this way can our simple brains nut it out.
At small (Planck) scales we really need a theory of quantum gravity to fully understand and explain what is going on. General relativity that governs the laws of the gravitational force isn't a quantised theory unlike the other 3 forces which have quantised theories. As far as the event horizon of the black hole, the notion of time depends on the observer's frame of reference. An observer crossing the event horizon won't notice any difference until they were crushed by tidal forces lol while an observer far way watching an object go towards the event horizon will see time nearer and nearer to the black hole slow down and the object take an infinite time to reach the event horizon. The time dilation will also cause a continuing red shift of the light coming from the object until it fades from visible view. There's lots of cool and quirky physics with black holes. Entropy is proportional to the area of the black hole rather than its volume. So the holographic principle leads to data on the 'surface' being a 'record' of what went into the black hole.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 11:17:02 PM »
Seeing anymore Good Charlotte KFC ads even though at least one of them once said in the past that they were vegetarian  :wallywink. C'mon lets see them actually eat the stuff even once  :nope  ;).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 10:08:43 AM »
Seeing anymore Good Charlotte KFC ads even though at least one of them once said in the past that they were vegetarian  :wallywink. C'mon lets see them actually eat the stuff even once  :nope  ;).

dwaino

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 10:21:14 AM »
Benji was a vegan and a PETA advocate years ago but I don't think he is anymore.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 10:34:53 PM »
Media and their sensationalism at the moment. What used to be called a hot day followed by a cool change the news tonight called a "Rollercoaster Heatwave"  :banghead

Gigantor

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 11:40:37 AM »
Off to the pathology clinic yesterday morning to have some blood tests done for the annual medical.Got there about 7.40am.The joint opens at 7.30am.i took a ticket and sat down .I was number 10 in the pecking order.New people kept coming in and it got up to number 20.Now you would think people would just bight the bullit and sit down and wait their turn.But alas NO.The amount of people trying to push ahead because they are too busy to wait,or the kids are waiting in the car,or i have a business to run was doing my head in and doing  a magical job with my blood pressure also.Are our own lives that important these days that we just cant wait our turn?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:06:15 PM by Gigantor »

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »
Off to the pathology clinic yesterday morning to have some blood tests done for the annual medical.Got there about 7.40am.The joint opens at 7.30am.i took a ticket and sat down .I was number 10 in the pecking order.New people kept coming in and it got up to number 20.Now you would think people would just bight the bullit and sit down and wait their turn.But alas NO.The amount of people trying to push ahead because they are too busy to wait,or the kids are waiting in the car,or i have a business to run was doing my head in and doing  a magical job with my blood pressure also.Are our own lives that important these days that we just cant wait our turn?

Sorta had that at the bank the other day except I was the only one in there. Waited, waited someone comes in grabs a ticket and we wait a little longer then they call my number and the bloke gets up and says it was him. Wankers