Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 547191 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 06:49:32 PM »
i wonder if they were taking craze (or similar supplement)?

Healy gave it a name but it was all letters with a number on the end  ;D

Said it was a chemical contained in certain supplements

I am sure it will be all over the papers over the next few hours
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 06:56:31 PM »
1,3-dimethylamylamine?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 06:58:23 PM »
1,3-dimethylamylamine?

Nah

Started with C and ended in a 6 or a 9 but the mumbo jumbo in the middle I didn't pay much attention too  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »
Gerard Healy on 3AW said he was aware of this scandal 12 months ago and he suggested another club maybe involved in taking the supplements.

He didn't name the 2nd club

He also said there is real possibility that the Bombers will not be playing in season 2013

Kyle Reimers has said a lot to Binhider Barrett in tonight's Ch 9's news. Appears The Barrett interview took place over a month ago.

The Binhider has obviously been digging up the dirt on this one for a while now

This is massive story
This could have major implications if it's found that the supplements taken were on the banned list. Players would be banned en masse and even awards stripped if high profile players were involved. If a second club (not hard to guess who Healy is implying but we can't post the club's name) is found also to have also used supplements on the banned list then that would well and truly rock the comp.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »
They will need to go back to the old days of blokes just turning up on the doorstep and getting a game if the playing list was suspended/banned  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 07:11:59 PM »
1,3-dimethylamylamine?

Nah

Started with C and ended in a 6 or a 9 but the mumbo jumbo in the middle I didn't pay much attention too  ;D
Was it GRP6 WP?

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 07:30:58 PM »

See the bombers fly up up!
The club that keeps giving.

Ox

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »
Give Cotchin the Brownlow

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 07:47:25 PM »
I noticed that during the press conference that the three that were present weren't wearing any bomber gear.
They had the press conference at AFL headquarters which I've never seen before even when it's something bad.
It seems as though they were trying to distance the club from this issue completly.

The fact the players were asked to sign wavers before taking these "supplements" tells me a few things also:
The club knew there was something wrong with what they were doing.
They've known this for a long time (not the past 24 hrs as they claim).
They have sacked 2 people (sport science guy & footy manager) recently.

The whole thing looks VERY serious if you ask me just by their actions today.
My spidey senses are tingling..........
The club that keeps giving.

dwaino

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 07:49:39 PM »
If Watson loses his Brownlow will Cotch get one?  :shh

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 07:52:19 PM »
1,3-dimethylamylamine?

Nah

Was it GRP6 WP?

Could be but I am not 100% sure

Healy said that whatever it was it was in the supplements but at low levels; not that it matters what the levels contained are. If it's on the banned list list it's banned

Dwayne Russell said that it was important to say that no Bomber player's had failed any ASADA drug tests last year 

That's all I heard as I had to jump put of the car at that point and shoot off somewhere else. This was all said at the start of the show around 6.07pm  ;D

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
I noticed that during the press conference that the three that were present weren't wearing any bomber gear.
They had the press conference at AFL headquarters which I've never seen before even when it's something bad.
It seems as though they were trying to distance the club from this issue completly.

Yep not even Club ties

Only time Clubs dont have sponsor stuff all over the place is when things are bad. Like C'wood with the Didak, Shaw lying episode a few years back, no TAC or Emirates signs up that day

Gotta say Jimmy Hird looked shattered  ;D

The fact the players were asked to sign wavers before taking these "supplements" tells me a few things also:
The club knew there was something wrong with what they were doing.
They've known this for a long time (not the past 24 hrs as they claim).
They have sacked 2 people (sport science guy & footy manager) recently.

That's alledgedly signed waivers - that's not confirmed so I am sure that's what you meant Mr Tigra = Allegedly  :yep

Actually come to think of it that would be allegedly on everything you've suggested Mr Tigra except for the sacking of the sports science guy, the footy mgr supposedly left as part of a "restructure" of the footy dept.

I'm sure it was just a typo  ;D

At the moment everything is speculation

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Was it GRP6 WP?

Can answer now

Yep it was MT

From Martin Blake's twitter:

Martin Blake ‏@martinj_blake
G Healy on AW says he was told EFC people asked questions about GRP6 supplement a year ago at conference. Suggests EFC itself faces ban.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »
1,3-dimethylamylamine?

Nah

Was it GRP6 WP?

Could be but I am not 100% sure

Healy said that whatever it was it was in the supplements but at low levels; not that it matters what the levels contained are. If it's on the banned list list it's banned

Dwayne Russell said that it was important to say that no Bomber player's had failed any ASADA drug tests last year 

That's all I heard as I had to jump put of the car at that point and shoot off somewhere else. This was all said at the start of the show around 6.07pm  ;D
Caro said on 3aw tonight that journos were threatened yesterday with legal action if they went with the story. 24 hours is a long time in footy clubs.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 08:19:06 PM »
From the 3AW web-site:

Essendon face AFL and Anti-Doping Authority investigation
Posted by: Michael James, Ellen Feely & Darren Boyd | 5 February, 2013 - 3:19 PM 

Essendon Football Club will undergo a joint probe by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority and AFL into whether players have taken supplements containing banned substances under their training regime.

Essendon chairman David Evans told a press conference that information gathered over the past 48 hours had brought to light questionable supplements used by the playing group last year.

The club have notified the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) and the AFL, inviting them to investigate the matter as quickly as possible.

"It's something that we need to get experts involved and move towards a clean bill of health as quickly as we can," chief executive Ian Robson said.

Sports Today producer and former sports lawyer Darren Boyd told Tom Elliott the revelation of questionable substance use has not taken everybody by surprise.

There has been recent speculation the substance in question is Human Growth Hormone peptides, however the club strongly denied its players had been taking performance-enhancing substances.

"Gerard Healy and I...have been following the rumours that have been swirling in this space about this story for some months," Darren Boyd said.

"It often happens that supplements that players take...(or) any athletes take...often contain substances and you're not aware fully of what they are.

"It's possible that might be the situation here.

"If (they) are proven guilty, there is a real chance that the Essendon Football Club won't be able to compete in the AFL competition...for a period of time."

Darren Boyd said there was a strong suggestion that a trainer at the club had asked players to sign a form agreeing to take the supplements and removing any liability.

After attending the press conference, 3AW sports reporter Alexandra Factor said a cloud still surrounded the type of supplements players had been using.

"In terms of these supplements, which is what (Essendon) are calling them, we haven't been told as to whether they are vitamins and minerals or in fact drugs and something more serious," she told Tom Elliott.

"They don't believe they've done anything wrong."

In a statement to the media, club chairman David Evans said the investigation was 'very distressing' for the club.

"We believe as a club that we have done everything to be compliant with the rules and regulations of the AFL and ASADA," he said.

"But, the integrity of the club is critical...and that is why we have moved quickly today to call the AFL and ASADA to seek a clean bill of health."

Speaking with Tom Elliott, drugs in sport expert Associate Professor Geoff Sussman from Monash University said under ASADA rules, any individual players found to have taken banned substances would be sanctioned.

"As far as ASADA rules are concerned, it is the individual that you would have to look at," he said.

"There are some sanctions against coaches or trainers who are in fact supplying banned substances as well.

"A few years ago, there were tests done on a number of supplements and about 35 per cent of them were found to have banned substances in them."

3AW Football commentator Mike Sheahan told Tom Elliott the Bombers had a 'marked fall off in their performance' last year.

"They were up earlier probably than any other club in the competition in 2012 and their decline was dramatic," he said.

"I don't know if I'm reading too much into that or not, but it seems like they were taking a pretty powerful force earlier in the season and that they may have dropped that later.

"The levels of fitness and form of their footy club tapered off."

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breaking-news-blog/essendon-face-afl-and-antidoping-authority-investigation/20130205-2dw15.html