Author Topic: Who is on the knife's edge this year? (afl site)  (Read 8649 times)

the claw

Re: Who is on the knife's edge this year? (afl site)
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2013, 01:57:12 PM »
Vickery??! Vickery's spot is not at risk. Until his form is an issue rather than his health, he is crucial to our team structure. We don't have another player who can cover him effectively in his role as CHF/2nd Ruck.
i constantly have issue with this thinking.
chf is almost the key [position on the ground yet we want to play a bloke there part time. no other team actually does this. they play two genuine kpfs and a tall player who is the second ruck.

to me vickery should start in a pocket, jack at ff,  and griffiths/elton at chf. when ivan has a break vickery goes into the ruck, our structure is not lost. this then allows us to say bring a very good smaller marking player on to the ground whos excellent and quick on the lead like Aaron  Edwards. its an ideal change up.

if vickery is to play chf we need to find a for/ruck

as for form well as far as i can see vickery has one half decent yr behind him form to me is very much an issue. from what ive seen elton to me already looks a better marking player.

Gigantor

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2013, 02:00:38 PM »
at this point in time having griff or elton at CHF is like having a huge black hole there where every opposition attack would get sucked through there.Later in the year yes griff or elton might slot in there nicely

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2013, 03:52:15 PM »
Vickery??! Vickery's spot is not at risk. Until his form is an issue rather than his health, he is crucial to our team structure. We don't have another player who can cover him effectively in his role as CHF/2nd Ruck.
chf is almost the key [position on the ground yet we want to play a bloke there part time. no other team actually does this. they play two genuine kpfs and a tall player who is the second ruck.

to me vickery should start in a pocket, jack at ff,  and griffiths/elton at chf. when ivan has a break vickery goes into the ruck, our structure is not lost. this then allows us to say bring a very good smaller marking player on to the ground whos excellent and quick on the lead like Aaron  Edwards. its an ideal change up.

as for form well as far as i can see vickery has one half decent yr behind him form to me is very much an issue. from what ive seen elton to me already looks a better marking player.

Geez thats a 70's 80's forward setup.  chf - ff - and ruckman resting in a pocket..

i dont think we have designated positions like there was yesteryear..

the claw

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2013, 04:45:05 PM »

Geez thats a 70's 80's forward setup.  chf - ff - and ruckman resting in a pocket..

most clubs must be taking a leaf out of the 80s hand book then.

sydney in the gf went with lrt goodes reid and pyke all forward. the r/u went with roughhead franklin gunston.
geelong the yr before pods hawkins and ottens with west in the ruck. ottens nearly always rested in a pocket.

i could go on and on seems to me the good sides structure up that way.
sometimes in footy the more we percieve things change the more they stay the same eh.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2013, 11:01:29 PM »

Collingwood? FF CHF Dawes, Dawes pinch hits.
Adelaide? Tippet CHF FF and pinch hits (well used to haha)
Calrton had Hampton play CHF FF and pinch hit
Essendon and Ryder?
Hawks and Roughy?
Saints and Kosi
Theres a lot of teams that have their second ruckman playing KP

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2013, 07:10:52 AM »
I think Jake King's position must be tenuous.
Give his injuries and his age along with the number of small/mid sized forwards we have on the list.
Jake will need to make every opportunity count.

gerkin greg

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2013, 09:32:59 AM »
I think Jake King's position must be tenuous.
Give his injuries and his age along with the number of small/mid sized forwards we have on the list.
Jake will need to make every opportunity count.

Totally agree, however he is a favourite of Hardwick's so that may override any rational selection criteria and keep him safe regardless. Ditto Jackson.

The sword of Damocles is hanging over Whitey, McG and Derrickx.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2013, 02:30:27 PM »

Essendon and Ryder?
Hawks and Roughy?
Saints and Kosi

So who on our list could do that role better than Vickery?

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2013, 03:27:31 PM »

Essendon and Ryder?
Hawks and Roughy?
Saints and Kosi

So who on our list could do that role better than Vickery?

I'm not arguing, I reckon his safe at CHF. But I also agree with Claw if a player such as Elton, Griff or Astbury can step up and be a good CHF then Vickery should be shoved into a pocket and swap between ruck and CHF if need be.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2013, 08:36:10 PM »
Fair call on Vickery. I would love to see Griff or Elton move into the forward line so we have three quality talls spreading the defenders.

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2013, 09:02:06 PM »

most clubs must be taking a leaf out of the 80s hand book then.

sydney in the gf went with lrt goodes reid and pyke all forward. the r/u went with roughhead franklin gunston.
geelong the yr before pods hawkins and ottens with west in the ruck. ottens nearly always rested in a pocket.

i could go on and on seems to me the good sides structure up that way.
sometimes in footy the more we percieve things change the more they stay the same eh.

You could and often you do go on and on..   :shh

Anyway what i was alluding to is they aren't playing the traditional roles you portray they should. Vickery plays as the lead up forward and Jack plays as an all round forward, leading, jumping and crumbing. Miller or McG were decoys and blockers that occasionally were used when the other 2 were covered which will become A. Edwards role.  Thats how i read the forward game play they employ.

Vickery is not a part timer he has a team role which is to predominantly play forward but goes into the ruck at stages of the game. i have no issue with this. Griff does the same but his role is in defence and iirc he also had a go rucking although very brief.

Tall players that can do this are vital and as yeahright pointed out other teams also have guys that pinch hit in the ruck while mainly staying as forwards

the claw

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2013, 11:08:02 AM »

Essendon and Ryder?
Hawks and Roughy?
Saints and Kosi
dawes is kp not a ruckman he went there when brown retired. in his place they played both tarrant and goldsackk as stay at home kpfs. one reason dawes wanted out was he did not want to be used as a pinch hitter.
adelaide i agree mainly because they had no one else. towards the end of the yr josh jenkins did get the second ruck role leaving both walker and tippett at home. tippett going leaves a big hole.

carlton use hampson as a second ruck he is a ruckman first and foremost.waite when fit plays kp  henderson plays kp probably casboult now  and hampson as the ruck/for with kruezer going forward at times as well.

hawks have used roughy everywhere.and they have used their kpf as a second ruckman out of neccesity. who else is there. imo they went and got hale to play as a for ruck but have had no luck injury wise with their other ruckmen. even then they still go with franklin and gunston  still undersized but looks a player.

last yr stkilda went with riewoldt wilkes and kosi they have added lee to this mix. perhaps they have learnt what most other sides have.

essendon dont rely on ryder to be their key forward at times they rotated all three of ryder bellchambers and hille thru the forward line. ryder to me is our vickery just a lot better atm.
when fit they have used three talls and ryder.  hurley crameri gumbleton ryder with the arrival of daniher this will only get stronger.

just two  questions. 1/ do you think it wise to go into games with just vickery and riewoldt as tall options.
2/ what is preferable have your chf play chf and maintain structure or have him go off in the ruck leaving just one tall forward.

in fairness to hardwick he did realise the importance of structure with miller. unfortunately miller was never good enough. we played miller because of where griffiths astbury and post were at injured or not ready.  its time to go back to that strategy.

dwaino

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »

1/ do you think it wise to go into games with just vickery and riewoldt as tall options.
2/ what is preferable have your chf play chf and maintain structure or have him go off in the ruck leaving just one tall forward.

This is entirely subjective an entirely relies upon the game plan. Just because it looks good on paper doesn't make it practical or genius. We've played three tall forwards before (Riewoldt, Vickery, Griffiths late 2011, Riewoldt, Vickery, Miller early 2012) and it doesn't work for us. Three blokes doesn't make three targets. The opposition will pick the weakest one, rotate their extra tall through Riewoldt, and play through the useless forward. We need more space in the forward 50 to isolate Riewoldt's defenders, not congesting it even more with an extra half arsed option. At least throwing in a competent small or medium (hoping this can be Knights) forces the oppositions hand and makes one of their quarterback-type players accountable for a man. Also means that unless they're happy for this extra player to chop them up, they have to bring one less tall, making it easier on Riewoldt.

Which brings me to point 2, a CHF's role is to make a contest and consider it a win if he can bring the ball to ground to the advantage of our crumbers. This doesn't have to be a tall player to fill in for Vickery when he goes into ruck. Just someone with enough body to make a strong lead and/or contest for a few minutes (might only be 1 or 2 entries). We're blessed to have Martin. He's too quick for a key defender, and too strong for a smaller type. The more we stack our midfield and the more forward time he gets, the harder our forward line gets to man up on.

I'm not sold on Griffiths at all yet, seems like he's one of those guys who are just good at a variety of roles, but not great at anything at all. I'm happy to change my mind on a two or three tall forward line once we have more than two worth while options like some of the other teams have done (like WCE), but just right now I don't agree. I'm really banking on Elton. Athletically he ticks all the boxes to be more than just another lumbering oaf up forward and could really compliment our fast and fluid outside game (when it works lol).

dwaino

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2013, 01:35:02 PM »
Great post, dwaino  :cheers

gerkin greg

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2013, 01:42:53 PM »