Author Topic: Gary March to step down as Prez at the end of this season (Age)  (Read 4460 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Re: Gary March to step down as Prez at the end of this season (Age)
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 06:31:07 PM »
Was March the bloke who got Benny Gale to the club?

If so then he did at least one  great thing for the RFC.  :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »

March was president when Benny was appointed so the answer would be yes.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/brendon-gale-new-richmond-ceo/story-e6frf9mx-1225759766605

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »
Jake Niall on 3aw said March mentioned Maurice O'Shannassy as a possible successor while outsiders think Malcolm Speed could take over. If I heard right Niall believes there's also two people from outside the Club that could be in the running.

Gigantor

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 06:59:13 PM »
sheesh oney eyed ,hope this doesnt develop into the mother of all fights for the top job

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 07:03:12 PM »
Jake Niall on 3aw said March mentioned Maurice O'Shannassy as a possible successor while outsiders think Malcolm Speed could take over. If I heard right Niall believes there's also two people from outside the Club that could be in the running.
Would one of those people be Rex Hunt? Or isn't he a member yet?   ;D

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 07:06:06 PM »

March was president when Benny was appointed so the answer would be yes.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/brendon-gale-new-richmond-ceo/story-e6frf9mx-1225759766605
Thanks O E.
That one decision is enough to award March life membership. Top appointment.  :thumbsup

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 09:37:08 PM »
My thoughts on this are that our next president needs to come from a current sitting board member and not anyone from the outside. To do otherwise In my opinion would be non optimum.

Speed would be my choice simply because he has held positions of comparable magnitude and would fit seamlessly into the position, has connections and holds a significant standing in the public psyche.

I have nothing against any of the other board members, my opinion is that speed gives us that little extra edge.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

gerkin greg

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 10:26:43 PM »
Speed is already in the Australian Sports Hall of Fame as an Administrator. So far ahead of any candidate it should be a fait accompli.

Rampstar

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 10:46:30 AM »
Malcolm Speed - Joined Board a while back, A Richmond Man with a great career in Sports Administration and my favorite for the job.

Maurice O'Shannessy - Successful in the Business, been at RFC a long time, Wouldnt surprise to see him get the job and clearly with Speed the two main contenders IMHO.

Michael Green - Lawyer, Richmond Premiership Player and Team of the Century Member. Would make a great President also but maybe time needed to do the job would impact. Could see him joining the board as replacement for March but not get the presidency.

Mark Cowan - Runs a very successful Branding and Marketing Company. Use to Run South Dragons NBL. A Richmond Man also. An Outside Chance.

Mark Smith - Use to run Cadbury Schweppes, A Richmond Man and some who is well respected in Business. Another with an Outside Chance IMHO.

Thats how I see the Potential Presidential Contenders, Maybe someone will come from outside this group but its unlikely IMHO. We have a very good group of people to choose from.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 11:06:12 AM »
Good write up Ramps, cheers as I know very little about the candidates.  :cheers

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 11:53:40 AM »
I reckon you got the order of likelihood spot on too Ramps.   :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 03:11:53 PM »
March set to stand down

By richmondfc.com.au
1:41pm AEST Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Gary March is about to hand over the reins of the Richmond presidency . . .

March, who has served as the Club’s president since 2005, announced early in the year that he would relinquish the role at the end of the 2013 season.

“I’ll stick around till the Jack Dyer Medal, which is on the 30th of September and, probably a couple of days after that, I’ll step down and we’ll announce who takes over from me,” March said on 3AW.

“It will come from the existing board.  It will be resolved fairly quickly and it’ll be a seamless transition.”

Under March’s presidency, Richmond has ticked off many significant achievements, including the impressive new football facilities at the ME Bank Centre, Punt Road Oval, the reconfiguration of the ground’s playing surface, eradication of the Club’s $4 million debt, more than 60,000 members (the third highest in the competition) and a return to finals football for the first time in 12 years.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-09-11/march-set-to-stand-down

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 02:07:22 PM »
Richmond president Gary March is convinced the Club is much better placed to build on the gains made this season than the previous time it made the finals in 2001.

“Overall, it was a really strong year, a building year.  But we’re under no illusions we’ve got to get better, and going out first week in the finals tells us that.”

Read more and the full article at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-09-13/healthy-hungry-tigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 09:08:54 PM »
March calls time
By richmondfc.com.au
Tuesday, October 1, 2013

“It’s been my great honour to serve the Richmond Football Club,” Gary March said.

“It’s been a very humbling experience, that I’ve been afforded that honor, and it’s something I’ve never taken for granted.

“I don’t see it as leaving the Club, but rather finishing another stanza in my association with the Club.

“The Richmond Football Club is part of my DNA.  Once a Tiger, you remain a Tiger for life.”

Read more at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-10-01/march-calls-time

:clapping

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 09:14:50 PM »
March calls time
By richmondfc.com.au
Tuesday, October 1, 2013

“It’s been my great honour to serve the Richmond Football Club,” Gary March said.

“It’s been a very humbling experience, that I’ve been afforded that honor, and it’s something I’ve never taken for granted.

“I don’t see it as leaving the Club, but rather finishing another stanza in my association with the Club.

“The Richmond Football Club is part of my DNA.  Once a Tiger, you remain a Tiger for life.”

Read more at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-10-01/march-calls-time

:clapping
:clapping :clapping
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.