Author Topic: Forward inefficiency and poor goalkicking still needs fixing  (Read 1786 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Forward inefficiency and poor goalkicking still needs fixing
« on: February 23, 2013, 01:55:03 AM »
Overall I was pleased with our general play and field kicking (ignoring the usual suspects) and granted it was the first hit out in the NAB Cup but our forward entries and poor conversion at goal is still an issue.

* 26 inside 50s (to the Dees 12) for only 3 goals (& 9 points). We won the inside 50 count against North as well 24-21 for 6 goals 8 behinds. So all up we kicked 9.17-71 on the night playing indoors at Etihad from 50 inside 50s. Not good enough for professional footballers.

* Too many long balls directed deep into the pockets. Sure it helps to keep the ball inside our forward 50 if none of our forwards can mark it but it is major reason why we are so inefficient in our forward play.

* When the ball was upfield, Jack and one of Edwards/McGuane would play high forward with Vickery staying closer to the goalsquare. As the ball came down they all seemed to squeeze together so we couldn't get a one-out or create an alternative marking target option 35-40m out for our mids to lower their eyes and hit-up.

* Our mids seemed too unselfish at times trying to pass to a forward close to goal when it seemed the better option was to take a running shot themselves.

* Apart from Titch's two goals, our small forwards were ordinary  (hello Robbie). Off the top of my head there were at least six times against North where the ball went over the back of the pack and the Tiger player fumbled trying to pick it up.

So while the positives outweighed the negatives on the night there's plenty of homework left for us to do before the season starts.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Forward inefficiency and poor goalkicking still needs fixing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:59:08 AM »

* Apart from Titch's two goals, our small forwards were ordinary  (hello Robbie). Off the top of my head there were at least six times against North where the ball went over the back of the pack and the Tiger player fumbled trying to pick it up.

And out of that six I reckon Nahas was responsible for three of those

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »
I was at that game and it was pretty windy for indoors.  :whistle

gerkin greg

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:37:20 AM »
I don't think Mark From Melbourne Williams is up to it, forward line has gone down hill since Danny Daly moved lines and he took over. Move him on at the end of the year and get Michael O'Laughlin.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 12:39:25 PM »

I didn't think Nahas played against north  :lol

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 12:52:20 PM »

I didn't think Nahas played against north  :lol

Good point, must have been the after effects of his game lingering around

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 01:04:46 PM »
I don't think Mark From Melbourne Williams is up to it, forward line has gone down hill since Danny Daly moved lines and he took over. Move him on at the end of the year and get Michael O'Laughlin.

i was thinking Richo :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
Ellis neither kicking to Jack nor kicking at goal.
Jack centring instead of shooting from 35.
Ie wrong decision making.

Furthermore blokes like White missing sitters late in games and Edwards on the run with no pressure from 50 missing doesn't help.

We need the clutch moments in games to fall to our stars rather than the lesser players who fail time and time again. I know it's NAB 1 but we could've one that with our b and c grade mids.

Good thing is we have depth though.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 04:25:53 PM »
Just like last year we struggle in transition from 45 to 55 out. I reckon it is a lack of intention by our mid-fielders to break through that line and kick for goal. I stated many times and examples at the time so I wont go into it again. Something needs to be done quick smart.

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 04:30:15 PM »
The roof was open and it was quite blustery inside..  There was an advantage going to the Southern Cross Station end

the claw

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 10:55:48 PM »
how the hell do we expect players deficient in basic skills to kick clutch goals or under extreme pressure kick em.we lose close games because thse blokes are incapable of taking the chances created  because of a lack of skills or basic elements in their game. we label glass half fulls for a reason.
name a little man at another club who cant kick on his non preferred or is just an ordinary kick full stop.we have three of them and they get regular senior games.

i still scratch my head how we draft these types and manage to keep em for so many yrs they are due retirement funds. they shouldnt be drafted in the first place yet alone get 50 100 games.

we have cut the obvious duds now for the ones who actually go okay in some things but poorly in some others  they are glass half fulls and the rfc has always had trouble identifieing them.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 07:05:14 AM »
We can't expect to play finals until we improve conversion from the inside 50s our mids our providing.
The upside is that our clearance work is plenty good enough to win finals if we can get the inside 50 thing right
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 04:51:49 PM »
First hit out for the pre-season....don't stress.... ::)
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 05:59:34 PM »
Yeah wait until we lose the first game and then we can feral up

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 11:19:22 PM »
Ellis neither kicking to Jack nor kicking at goal.
Jack centring instead of shooting from 35.
Ie wrong decision making.

Furthermore blokes like White missing sitters late in games and Edwards on the run with no pressure from 50 missing doesn't help.

We need the clutch moments in games to fall to our stars rather than the lesser players who fail time and time again. I know it's NAB 1 but we could've one that with our b and c grade mids.

Good thing is we have depth though.

Spot on!

Our forward structure is our problem.

It hasn't changed at all.

North went forward and would score.

Our forward line becomes congested and turnovers develop.

Open the forward line up and hit Jack on the lead.