Author Topic: If The Cap Fits.....  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
If The Cap Fits.....
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:18:55 PM »
If the cap fits ...

Charles Happell
Written on Monday, 04 March 2013 08:00

A word here in support of Kevin Bartlett, the AFL Laws of the Game Committee and, more generally, the game of football itself.

Bartlett's committee, which has proposed a cap on the number of interchange rotations each match, has copped a forearm jolt from a range of coaches, headed by Mick Malthouse, Alastair Clarkson, Brad Scott and now Mark Neeld. In fact, I can't think of one coach who hasn't given Bartlett and co a whack for their bench restriction plans, which are now being trialled in the NAB Cup.

The coaches' beef is that such a move is not player-friendly, that it will make players exhausted and therefore more prone to injury.

Malthouse has gone further than that at the weekend, effectively accusing Bartlett of being a control freak, hijacking the debate and insinuating the former Richmond champion is too old to understand the 'modern game'.

Well what a joke. What a load of self-serving tosh.

Malthouse and his 17 other mates brandishing clipboards and headsets have little interest in what's best for the game, or in its aesthetics or whether it's a free-flowing spectacle or an all-in, Wrestlemania meets British Bulldog. What they are interested in solely is their team, and how it performs.

Which is fine. That's their remit and that's what they're paid for.

But, Malthouse, Clarkson and co shouldn't claim they speak for the vast majority of football fans who are sick to death of the rolling mauls, the congestion, the 30 players jostling for position around the ball, the endless ball-ups in the same position, the interchange steward marshalling traffic like a policeman at the Ginza, players sprinting off after kicking a goal, all the emphasis on the negative.

Because they don't; they speak only for themselves.

There were 54,400 interchanges made in 2012 - at the rate of 262 per game, or 131 per team. In one game, Gold Coast made a season-high 176 rotations against Collingwood. In 2008, that average figure was 80. So, in four years, we've seen a 63% increase in the number of interchange moves.

Stoppages, not including centre-square bounces after a goal, averaged 66 per game in 2012, a huge increase on the 51.5 in 2008. In last year's grand final alone - lauded by some as a contest for the ages but, in the cold hard light of day, more a stop-start affair devoid of individual brilliance - there were 95 stoppages: 51 ball-ups and 44 boundary throw-ins.

It wasn't so much a free-flowing affair as a game afflicted by a major case of constipation. Not so much a spectacle as an eyesore.

The contest only confirmed to Bartlett the need for restrictions on the bench. ''Interchanges have hijacked the game. It's outrageous and has got completely out of hand,'' he said. ''It has got to the point now where the game is is becoming like rugby. It's not an indigenous game of Australian Rules football any more.''

But the season finale was hardly a blip. This is how the game has been evolving for five or six years now.

Of all the modern rule changes, the one that has had the greatest affect on how the game is played is the expansion of the interchange bench to four (now three plus a sub). This means players get enough rest throughout the game that they're able to go helter-skelter when on the field. The concept of tiredness and fatigue becomes, by the standards of yesteryear, almost redundant. A cap of 80 or 90 rotations will mean a player's stamina is now as important as his speed.

As to the coaches' fears about player fatigue, Bartlett said it was nonsense that players would get too tired under a restricted interchange arrangement, saying sports scientists and boffins had spooked everyone. Bartlett said VFL players in the 1960s and 70s used to work full time ''and dug ditches'' and still managed to play out matches at the weekend - when there was no interchange bench (until 1978), just a 19th and 20th man.

So, for the coaches to start bleating - it is their second language, after all - that their players will start collapsing with fatigue is a furphy, and should be paid no attention.

(Malthouse, too, was way out of line in singling out Bartlett for his weekend spray. For a start, three recently retired players - Brett Burton, Joel Bowden and Michael Sexton - and a current player, Beau Waters, also sit on the Laws of the Game committee, not to mention another fairly well-credentialled bloke you might have heard of, a certain L Matthews.)

So as a footy follower with no particular allegiance to Bartlett, Richmond or the AFL, I say: more power to your arm, KB. Don't listen to the carpers, whiners and whingers; put a cap on those interchange rotations, and pull it on nice and tight.

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/afl/8720-if-the-cap-fits-?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BPL-news-feed+%28BackPageLead+Daily+News+Feed%29

gerkin greg

Re: If The Cap Fits.....
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »
I thought Matthews stepped down a while back?

They should be being whacked over pushing the game in the favour of seagulls and squibs and go back to rewarding the bloke going for the football

Hands in the back, holding the ball, and tiggy touchwood 50m penalties are what get most fan's goats

Maggots

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 01:00:34 PM »
I'm behind Charles Happell, KB and the rules committee 100% on this one. The sooner the League brings in an interchange cap and stops the game degenerating into one long continous rolling rugby scrum the better. You'd expect wankers like Mick Malthouse to be the ones jumping up and down and whinging the most. After all he was the one who initiated the ugly forward press in his time at Scumwood, and now all the other coaches have blindly followed suit. I'm betting Ross Lyon is another one of the proposed rules most vocal critics, because aesthetically speaking he has contributed NOTHING positive to the game. Bring it on!

For the record, I also believe that the bloke who's brave enough to put his head over the ball should be rewarded and not penalised.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 02:53:48 PM »
I'm behind Charles Happell, KB and the rules committee 100% on this one. The sooner the League brings in an interchange cap and stops the game degenerating into one long continous rolling rugby scrum the better.

But couldn't the rules committee fix this "rugby scrum" nonsense by simply instructing umpires to call for a ball up within 5 seconds of a pack forming or pay a free kick against for either incorrect disposal or holding the ball. Rather than have them doing what we have now, flap their arms, yelling "play on" while waiting what seems like an eternity for 20 players to join  the scrum oops sorry I meant pack and then calling for a ball up?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

dwaino

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 04:48:44 PM »
I'm a bit over the incessant need to butcher the game every year, but can compromise on the interchange cap number. IMO 20 is a bit stiff, maybe something in the ball park of 30'ish is a bit more reasonable as it gives enough chance to healthily rotate players without abusing it. Footy has gone from endurance to repeated short bursts and the players are conditioned that way. But the game has naturally evolved and the current style will eventually evolve away on its own. Last year on AFL Insider on Fox, Eade was saying how teams were now more effectively countering their (Collingwood's) press by kicking over it from a kick in or just on a rebound before Collingwood had a chance to set the press up.

The game will change on its own. Just leave it alone IMO. Leave rule changes for when something is broken.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:04:47 PM by dwaino »

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 10:09:27 PM »
I'm behind Charles Happell, KB and the rules committee 100% on this one. The sooner the League brings in an interchange cap and stops the game degenerating into one long continous rolling rugby scrum the better.

But couldn't the rules committee fix this "rugby scrum" nonsense by simply instructing umpires to call for a ball up within 5 seconds of a pack forming or pay a free kick against for either incorrect disposal or holding the ball. Rather than have them doing what we have now, flap their arms, yelling "play on" while waiting what seems like an eternity for 20 players to join  the scrum oops sorry I meant pack and then calling for a ball up?

I don't think that would work WP. There is so much continual congestion in the modern game that if the umpires balled up every time a pack formed, the game would simply become one long continous unbroken sequence of ball-ups. Just as an exercise, go to a neutral game at random, climb up into the grandstand and, rather than investing an emotional interest in the outcome of the contest itself,just watch the pattern of the game unfold. What you will see over and over is upwards of 36 players at any given time constantly assembling and re-assembling around the ball as it bobbles from one area to another. It's not a majestic sight. This is what selfish coaches have wrought on the game with their strategies straight out of warfare manuals, and if we have to do something extreme to wrest the game back, then so be it.     

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:02:29 PM »
I'm with dwaino 30 a quarter would get rid of the ridiculous 3 guys interchanging at same time without slaughtering the players. Could even have a total of 120 so you can use them when you want. Store them up or use them early. My concern is if it goes 20 per quarter we will end up with teams dflooding back because they are just too tired to run. Personally I'd find that worse than the way the game is currently played. WP's idea would work too. Just ball the bloody thing up or start paying dropping the ball.

dwaino

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »
I'm with dwaino 30 a quarter would get rid of the ridiculous 3 guys interchanging at same time without slaughtering the players. Could even have a total of 120 so you can use them when you want. Store them up or use them early. My concern is if it goes 20 per quarter we will end up with teams dflooding back because they are just too tired to run. Personally I'd find that worse than the way the game is currently played. WP's idea would work too. Just ball the bloody thing up or start paying dropping the ball.

I can't remember who it was on Triple M last week, but they made a good point that instead of chopping it off at the knees (i.e the low number of 20 per 1/4, 80 per game), rather start at the upper end and work our way back. I think it was Collingwood(??) at the most with around 160 or 180 or something a game, with West Coast the lowest at 110-120 per game. A compromise is needed. Teams in the NAB Cup were only just coping for the first and second quarters of reduced length, but were struggling in the last half. It would be even worse in regulation timed games.

Just let the game sort it self out though FFS. Like I said, Eade admitted that teams are now starting to find ways out of the press, and teams like Hawthorn are leading the way in chopping teams up who play the congested contested style by using deadly accurate kicks and lots of space. It was on AFL Insider on Fox Footy last year when David King dissected the Geelong game style during Scott's second sason and showed how they have gone from beating up on teams with contested ball to pressuring opposition carriers and clearance winners around stoppages, forcing turnovers and killing them on a fast rebound.

The game will change on its own. Just let the bloody thing go.