Author Topic: Cotchin, Riewoldt, Martin deals up (SNF)  (Read 2997 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotchin, Riewoldt, Martin deals up (SNF)
« on: March 05, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »
Cotchin, Riewoldt, Martin deals up
By Kim Hagdorn
Sports News First
4 March 2013

HOPES and even plans for a Richmond surge into finals this year will coincide with contract negotiations for the famous club’s top three stars, headed by gun on-baller Trent Cotchin.

The new captain, ace sharp-shooter Jack Riewoldt and exciting young gun Dustin Martin are all about to start new negotiations of deals to lock them into the Tigers premiership march.

Ironically, new Tigers football manager Dan Richardson will hit his Punt Road office at a full-tilt sprint this month with vital insider knowledge on some of the needs to secure Richmond’s three biggest re-signings.

Richardson has just jumped out of the hurly-burly of contract negotiations around the league as one of the game’s most respected player agents.

He joins the Tigers as replacement for Craig Cameron who surprisingly resigned on the eve of the NAB Cup competition starting early last month.

It is not without strong prospect that Richardson as the new Tigers football operations boss had already held a preliminary chat on Cotchin’s potentially lucrative and highly likely lengthy deal as the trump player and skipper well into this decade..

Cotchin, 23 and a Brownlow medallist in-waiting, is managed by Richardson’s immediate past employer and the highly rated Elite Sports Properties, headed by former Collingwood ace Craig Kelly.

Cotchin, Riewoldt and Martin are unlikely to be headed out of Tigerland with what promises ahead.

On the back of some calculated recruitment of mature-aged and experienced AFL exponents in the mould of tight defender Troy Chaplin, forward Aaron Edwards and versatile utility pair Chris Knights and Ricky Petterd, the Tigers confront projections of a first finals campaign since 2001.

The Tigers are genuine final-eight candidates with an encouraging fixture draw this season after 10 wins and a draw last season, as well as six losses by two-goals or less.

They lost three consecutive games from Round 16-18 last year by two points to Gold Coast, four to North Melbourne and another four to Carlton and fell out of real finals prospects.

A cornerstone in the immediate and longer terms in that sustained finals planning, is retention of play-makers around the ball in Cotchin and Martin and a finisher in calibre of Riewoldt, already a dual Coleman medallist for heading the league’s goal-kicking from a side outside the finals throughout his six-year career.

Riewoldt, 24, recently engaged the services of another high powered agent Liam Pickering in a switch from the agency formerly owned and run by disgraced player manager Ricky Nixon and now headed up by former Essendon star Scott Lucas.

Pickering is also handling the delicate negotiations with Hawthorn and superstar Lance Franklin’s new deal, as well as hordes of other offers expected to pour in over the course of protracted discussions on whether the game’s most influential power forward stays a Hawk or controversially moves on.

Martin, only 21 and one of the game’s biggest rising stars and like Cotchin probably capable f winning a Brownlow with a consistent season somewhere into his near future, has also engaged a hard-core negotiator for his newest contract discussions.

Martin has joined Ralph Carr, who was heavily involved in the sometimes nasty negotiations between Collingwood management and Travis Cloke to eventually keep the 2010 premiership power forward at the Magpies.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2013/03/04/cotchin-riewoldt-martin-deals-up/

dwaino

Re: Cotchin, Riewoldt, Martin deals up (SNF)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 12:37:11 PM »

ace sharp-shooter Jack Riewoldt

wut

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:51:54 PM »
According to the list we've put together on OER, there's 25 Tigers coming out of contract this year. So Richardson will be a busy boy.

Contracts List:

2013: Arnot, Batchelor, Conca, Cotchin, Dea, Derickx, A.Edwards, Ellis, Elton, Griffiths, Grigg, Grimes, Jackson, Helbig, King, Maric, Martin, McGuane, Nahas, Newman, O'Hanlon, Rance, Riewoldt, Tuck, White

2014: Astbury, S.Edwards, Houli, Knights, McBean, McDonough, McIntosh, Morris, Vickery, Vlastuin

2015: Foley

2016: Chaplin

2017: Deledio

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 12:53:10 AM »
According to the list we've put together on OER, there's 25 Tigers coming out of contract this year. So Richardson will be a busy boy.

Contracts List:

2013: Arnot, Batchelor, Conca, Cotchin, Dea, Derickx, A.Edwards, Ellis, Elton, Griffiths, Grigg, Grimes*, Jackson, Helbig, King, Maric, Martin, McGuane, Nahas, Newman**, O'Hanlon, Rance, Riewoldt, Tuck**, White

2014: Astbury, S.Edwards, Houli, Knights, McBean, McDonough, McIntosh, Morris, Vickery, Vlastuin

Extension pretty safe but have to show a little something delist/have to show something major to keep their spot

*Grimes just cant do another hammy, if he misses another chunk of games itd be time to bite the bullet or only a year max. Stay on the park and he should get 3 years minimum
**Can see Tuck and Newman retiring before they are delisted

This is a mix of opinion and what I think should happen

gerkin greg

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 07:43:21 AM »
Put the 3 legged Leb in yellow and you're spot on

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 08:35:08 AM »
pretty sure Maric got a 3 year deal when he came to us.

So he is contracted until the end of 2014, though you'd think they will look at extending that deal sooner rather than later  ;D

Regarding O'Hanlon - not sure he is a lock for a contract extension, wouldhave thought he'd be in yellow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 08:36:56 AM »

So he is contracted until the end of 2014, though you'd think they will look at extending that deal sooner rather than later  ;D

Regarding O'Hanlon - not sure he is a lock for a contract extension, wouldhave thought he'd be in yellow

I thought it was a 4 year deal.

And Greg into the red vest. Maybe Macca but he seems to be in favour at the minute

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 08:37:13 AM »

2013: Arnot, Batchelor, Conca, Cotchin, Dea, Derickx, A.Edwards, Ellis, Elton, Griffiths, Grigg, Grimes*, Jackson, Helbig, King, Maric, Martin, McGuane, Nahas, Newman**, O'Hanlon, Rance, Riewoldt, Tuck**, White

Extension pretty safe but have to show a little something delist/have to show something major to keep their spot

My take on it:

2013: Arnot, Batchelor, Conca, Cotchin, Dea, Derickx, A.Edwards, Ellis, Elton, Griffiths, Grigg, Grimes, Jackson, Helbig, King, Maric, Martin, McGuane, Nahas, Newman, O'Hanlon, Rance, Riewoldt, Tuck, White

Blue = retiring

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 08:56:22 AM »

I thought it was a 4 year deal.

3 year or 4 year it's fair to say he isn't coming out of contract this year  :thumbsup

Not sure where I was, it was only recently I do remember that  :wallywink but I was told he was contracted for another year after this one
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 09:12:02 AM »
Arnot, Batchelor, Conca, Cotchin, Dea, Derickx, A.Edwards, Ellis, Elton, Griffiths, Grigg, Grimes, Jackson, Helbig, King, Maric, Martin, McGuane, Nahas, Newman**, O'Hanlon, Rance, Riewoldt, Tuck**, White*

*Think he'll be delisted and sign up with our VFL side for 2014.

**Don't think either will retire at the end of this season, can see both given 1 year extensions until they do retire. Think 2014 will be Newy's last, Tuck could go on to 2015 IMO.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 12:48:07 PM »

My take on it:

Blue = retiring

So pretty close to mine  :thumbsup. With the second year players I just gave them an extension as I can't see Hardwick delisting them.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 12:50:20 PM »

And Greg into the red vest. Maybe Macca but he seems to be in favour at the minute

I think Nahas is safe, but agree with Greg he should be in red my bad

Offline Crazy_Ivan

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 04:48:46 PM »
Sorry i can,t make head or tail of this.I only see black and yellow.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 10:09:02 AM »
This is how I assess it

Contracts List:

Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 10:13:08 AM »
This is how I assess it

Contracts List:

POTY