Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt says Richmond is building momentum for big 2013 season (H-Sun)  (Read 1096 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Riewoldt says Richmond is building momentum for big 2013 season

Adam Smith
    March 08, 2013

STAR Richmond forward Jack Riewoldt doesn't buy into the external hype surrounding the club's 2013 chances but the Tasmanian has no doubt it is a season which could finally deliver.

Expectations have soared at Tigerland in recent years but it now appears Damien Hardwick's troops are ready to fulfil the hope long-suffering supporters hold at Punt Rd.

After missing the finals last year on the back of losing six games by 12 points or less, the Tigers finally closed out a tight match against Essendon last weekend at Wangaratta, winning by eight points after blowing an early 20-point buffer.

While it was only the NAB Cup, Richmond was missing a host of first-choice stars including skipper Trent Cotchin, deputy Brett Deledio, ruckman Ivan Maric and rising talent Reece Conca.

Now as the Tigers prepare to clash with Grand Finalists Hawthorn in Launceston tomorrow, Riewoldt believes the young list is harnessing the confidence to dream big.

"We don't ever really delve into the outside pressure from the media or anything like that, the biggest thing is more of what we expect from ourselves and internally we know what that is," Riewoldt told The Mercury yesterday.

"I've got no doubt some of the more successful results we have had, especially since the start of this year, will hold us in good stead of what we think we can do.

"The biggest thing is we have gained a little bit of early momentum in terms of our victory against Melbourne, a really good game against North which unfortunately we should have won and then last week's result minus a fair chunk of our senior side.

"It shows the depth we are starting to develop.

"The club has gone in the right manner of stacking these kids with plenty of games, they have between 40 and 80 games of experience now.

"That is the biggest thing, guys getting blooded into the AFL system, some probably weren't ready to play AFL footy but have been thrown to the wolves and have learned from basically doing, really."

Riewoldt said Richmond, which defeated both the Hawks and premier Sydney last year, will not be taking Hawthorn lightly at Aurora Stadium despite the home team's slow start in the pre-season competition.

Both sides will be close to full strength with the start of the home-and-away season just a few weeks away.

"We are not looking into Hawthorn's performances over the first two weeks really, they are in the situation where they have blooded a lot of young players.

"We will be taking them on their merits, they are last year's Grand Finalists. We are going to go in with a pretty strong line-up and I've got no doubt they will as well, it is starting to get to the business end of the NAB Cup where teams are really trying to put their best foot forward.

"No doubt it is going to be a great game."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/jack-riewoldt-says-richmond-is-building-momentum-for-big-2013-season/story-e6frf9mx-1226592665582

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Practise matches Jack, be careful
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

gerkin greg

No doubt

Rampstar

Look  ;D

Ruanaidh

I'm really get sick of this. I hate to say it but Carlton's approach to this season under Malthouse has been admirably low-key and deliberate. I wish we would take the same tack. Jack needs to shut-up and do what he is paid to do, not media blitzes, but on the ground playing footy.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
Stopped reading as soon as i got to the cut and pasted , lazy arse journo comment of ' long suffering supporters '   :sleep
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

tony_montana

How many more fluff pieces before the season starts?

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
I'm really get sick of this. I hate to say it but Carlton's approach to this season under Malthouse has been admirably low-key and deliberate. I wish we would take the same tack. Jack needs to shut-up and do what he is paid to do, not media blitzes, but on the ground playing footy.

You'l find that Carlton have had their fair share of fluff pieces this pre-season too. The fluff is unavoidable. Particularly for a big club like ours.

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
Second line of the article a big troll.

Soon as I saw that,I didn't read.

The media are the ones hyping us not the supporters.

The supporters just read these toerag articles.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Must kick 100 goals this season......no excuses

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame

I know you are taking the pee but we would play finals if he did - his % of teams goals would be the same as previous year but we would kick more winning scores.......
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame

I know you are taking the pee but we would play finals if he did - his % of teams goals would be the same as previous year but we would kick more winning scores.......

Yeah but highly unlikely to happen with the full press, need another KPF to step up and 40 or so to increase our score totals and take the double teaming off Jack