Author Topic: Cotchin's new contract discussion [merged]  (Read 1475 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotchin's new contract discussion [merged]
« on: March 20, 2013, 11:50:28 PM »
Craig Kelly will sort out Trent Cotchin and Jobe Watson's next contracts

Jon Ralph
    March 20, 2013 6:09PM

ELITE Sports Properties boss Craig Kelly will get back into the ring as a player manager to negotiate the contracts of star captains Trent Cotchin and Jobe Watson.

Their manager, Dan Richardson, has left to become Richmond's general manager of football, only months after the pair joined the firm from rival stables.

Kelly is one of the founding fathers of AFL player management. In recent years, he has not been accredited with the AFL Players Association as his fleet of player managers took over.

But the 1990 Collingwood premiership player will negotiate their contracts alongside ESP's Justin Reid, son of former Adelaide football manager John Reid.

Watson is an unrestricted free agent and the 2012 Brownlow medallist who, at 28, has one big long-term contract left in him.

Cotchin, equal second in last year's Brownlow, is just 22 but, given he is in his sixth season, a long-term deal would take him past restricted free agency.

Both players won their club best-and-fairests last year. But Kelly said there was no rush to sign deals.

"The boys are focused on the next couple of weeks of footy and, once everything settles down with the Richmond Football Club, I would imagine we would be dealing with Dan and (Richmond CEO) Benny Gale about (Trent's deal)," he said.

"We will sit down with Essendon at an appropriate time, too."

Kelly will need to pass an AFLPA entrance exam before he can renew his accreditation.

Cotchin said last week he was committed to signing a deal at Richmond but was unsure if it would be a five-year contract like Brett Deledio's deal last season.

"It will be a matter of time until we work out who will negotiate on my behalf and who will be on the other side," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/craig-kelly-will-sort-out-trent-cotchin-and-jobe-watsons-next-contracts/story-e6frf9mx-1226601893207

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotchin's new contract discussion [merged]
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 03:30:25 PM »
Deal coming soon, says Cotchin

By Jennifer Phelan
afl.com.au
11:57am AEST Sunday, May 5, 2013

RICHMOND captain Trent Cotchin says his contract negotiations are progressing smoothly and he expects a new deal to be reached before the end of the season.

Cotchin, 23, headlines a list of high-profile Tigers who are coming out of contract at season's end, including Dustin Martin and Jack Riewoldt. 

The midfielder said he expected his management would finalise a long-term deal in the near future.

"I would think so. My management and the club are obviously in discussions," Cotchin told Channel 7's Game Day on Sunday.

"There's a number of our players out of contract this season – Jack and Dusty, just to name a couple.

"It's just something that will get done in the future, whether or not it's in the next couple of weeks or in the next three months.

"It's not something I'm stressing about, to be totally honest.

"The powers that be will make that decision at the appropriate time."

On Wednesday, Riewoldt said his manager was also working on his own contract after the sudden resignation of football manager Craig Cameron in February delayed proceedings.

"I think any player wants to get their contract over and done with and their future set in stone as soon as possible," Riewoldt said.

"I think the process with all of our contracts has been put back a little bit by Craig Cameron leaving so abruptly and really having to fill that void.

"I think we've just been caught behind the ball with Craig leaving so that will happen as soon as it happens and we'll sort it out and move on from there.

"It's definitely no distraction for us because we're excited about how we're playing."

A number of other Tigers including Dylan Grimes, Brandon Ellis, Jake Batchelor, Luke McGuane, Alex Rance and Reece Conca are also coming out of contract.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-05/ill-sign-new-deal-soon-says-cotchin
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:29:56 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

gerkin greg

Re: Deal coming soon, says Cotchin (afl site)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:23:53 AM »
would want to sign quick, the zeros are falling off the end by the week

oh chimp

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
Is it just me or does Cotch seem to just hurry the ball onto the boot this year???
Dusty a bit the same.
Team rule  perhaps. 

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 12:20:39 PM »
Is it just me or does Cotch seem to just hurry the ball onto the boot this year???
Dusty a bit the same.
Team rule  perhaps.
I think it is a symptom of being heavily tagged each week. Either he is under pressure or he perceives himself to be under pressure.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »
What about when he takes a mark or gets a free and butchers it on his left. Next time he does that I'm gunna go home.  :banghead

tony_montana

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 06:58:44 PM »
What a trooper, purposely bringing his value down with sub par performances so the club can offer him less and therefore not affect our salary cap.  :bow

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotchin close to signing new contract deal (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 05:27:27 AM »
Jobe Watson, Trent Cotchin and Nick Maxwell close to new deals with their AFL clubs

Jon Ralph
    May 16, 2013

AFL captains Jobe Watson, Trent Cotchin and Nick Maxwell are all on the verge of clinching new deals to stay with their clubs.

The leaders of three of the AFL's traditional big four clubs have all either committed to staying or are considering deals already in front of them.

Cotchin, still just 23, could be offered a deal as long as five years with Richmond, given his star power.

Fellow unrestricted free agent Maxwell does not have the cachet of restricted free agent Dale Thomas, but is another Pie who will soon be locked away on Collingwood's star-studded list.

Unrestricted free agent Watson, 28, has had to battle with the distractions of the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority drugs investigation, but also wants an agreement in the near future.

He is one of several Essendon players edging closer to new deals, including ruckman Tom Bellchambers and forward Stewart Crameri.

It means the list of unrestricted free agents will soon shrink to 10, with Eddie Betts (Carlton) and Adam Cooney (Western Bulldogs) also in talks with their clubs.

Maxwell's manager, Peter Lenton, said the Pies captain was happy with negotiations.

"He is not going anywhere, and he is out of contract, but he won't be for too much longer," he said.

"I have spoken with (Pies footy boss) Geoff Walsh a couple of times about where it is at, and we are all in agreement."

Elite Sports Properties managers Justin Reid and Craig Kelly are negotiating the deals of Cotchin and Watson.

Kelly said they would soon discuss Cotchin's options, which include deals of varying lengths.

"Myself and Justin Reid have caught up with Dan (Richardson) and are planning to catch up with Cotch next week to go through what the club is considering," Kelly said.

"I think the club and us are committed to getting (Watson's contract) sorted out, too. There have been some distractions, but I would think both parties are keen to try to get it bedded down if we can.

"Both agreements are still playing out, but everything is looking positive."

Richmond re-signed Brett Deledio on a five-season deal last year, and with Cotchin young and increasingly durable, there is no real risk in a deal that long.

Cotchin and spearhead Jack Riewoldt have signalled their determination to stay at Richmond.