Author Topic: Coburg -v- Sandringham - Sunday April 7th  (Read 13683 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Coburg -v- Sandringham - Sunday April 7th
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »

Dea should be in the Richmond team for Batch.

No problem with that from me.  Same height, bigger body, harder at it, in decent form.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2013, 09:46:31 PM »
Thats great to hear, i couldnt believe he slipped through to us in the draft, talk a out a warehouse of talent down at coburg :shh

Nah, we stuffed it.  Should have taken Hannath or any other of the dozen better ruck prospects out there.
Bloody hell how  precious  can one get?

YES WE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN HANNATH OR SIMILAR, and there was a couple. Dont kid yourself we need  needed to do more to address the ruck situation.
 Where abouts in the draft  did i say we should take Hannath?  Oh yeah late nd or psd.

Hmm did Mcbean play ruck today? Whats that i hear?  no. What   does he look more  like?  A ruckman or a kpp?. What does his body shape look more like ruck or kpp.
 My criticism  was we used a good pick to get   a so called ruckman when it was more likely he was a kpp. My opinion was he was more likely a kpd.  Reckon nothing has changed.
Lets have this debate when he actually becomes a top notch first ruckman in 6 yrs time eh. After all thats what we recruited him for.

Oh while we are being facetious. Where is mcintosh being played? Wheres that i hear ?  hb  :o but hes a genuine mid isnt he.

good night sleep well

Rampstar

« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
Maybe Hartley and co will try and line up another ruckman under free agency. Why draft one when you can pinch one for free?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2013, 09:48:59 PM »
who ever said mctosh was a "genuine" mid, whatever the stuff th
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »
who ever said macintosh was a "genuine" mid, whatever the stuff that is anyway?
Is a genuine mid someone defined as someone who plays that as a junior, coz that would have made adam maric one?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

TigerTimeII

« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2013, 10:02:44 PM »
i hear ya Al

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2013, 10:12:47 PM »

YES WE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN HANNATH OR SIMILAR, and there was a couple. Dont kid yourself we need  needed to do more to address the ruck situation.
 Where abouts in the draft  did i say we should take Hannath?  Oh yeah late nd or psd.

Why would/should we have taken Hannath when we had already identified and taken McBean with an earlier pick?  Maybe the club didn't rate Hannath and/or see the need for yet another ruckman?

Hmm did Mcbean play ruck today? Whats that i hear?  no.

Wow, you're perceptive.  I'm glad he didn't play ruck.  We have 2 backup options who are older, more experienced, bigger bodied and need to be more ready to 'go' at the senior level if needed so I would be cranky at the club if they were blooding McBean at this infantile stage of his development to the detriment of the club as a whole.  But if you think we need to stack our list this year with more ruckmen then fill your boots.

What   does he look more  like?  A ruckman or a kpp?. What does his body shape look more like ruck or kpp.
 My criticism  was we used a good pick to get   a so called ruckman when it was more likely he was a kpp. My opinion was he was more likely a kpd.  Reckon nothing has changed.

Der.  He looks most like a very young ruckman who needs to fill out and learn many things on his football journey and I don't think throwing him into the ruck at VFL senior level in his first open age season against many battle-hardened bodies would necessarily be the smartest thing for his development.  And just a refresher on FJ's comments at draft time:

“Liam has played the last two years as a forward/ruckman with the Calder Cannons, combining his time with school football commitments at St Bernard's College,” said Richmond Recruiting Manager Francis Jackson.

“He is a highly rated young developing ruckman who has also been a member of the AFL AIS Academy in 2011 and 2012.”

“Liam's strengths are his abilities to read the flow of the game and get to many contests with his running ability.

“His overhead ruckwork is very good, but his standout feature is his ability to play as an extra midfielder on the ground, making good decisions with the football and damaging with his possessions.

“Liam is an excellent user of the ball by foot and is a big man who we genuinely want to have the ball in his hands due to his creativity and efficiency.

“He will be given very chance to develop into the versatile tall at AFL level we think he can be, and will be pushing for his chance in the next few years.”

But no, I'm sure you're right and the club are wrong, they didn't draft him as a ruckman.

Lets have this debate when he actually becomes a top notch first ruckman in 6 yrs time eh. After all thats what we recruited him for.

Sure, happy to.  Your point ?

Oh while we are being facetious. Where is mcintosh being played? Wheres that i hear ?  hb  :o but hes a genuine mid isnt he.

Apart from the obvious response that you appear to do a lot of talking to yourself, a midfielder learning the defensive side of his craft in his formative years at half back?  Unheard of.  Oh, and Brett Deledio says hi.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2013, 10:14:23 PM »
Maybe Hartley and co will try and line up another ruckman under free agency. Why draft one when you can pinch one for free?

I'm very confident that's where we're headed Ramps but grasping the intelligence of that concept might be beyond some.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond young players impress in the VFL ....... (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2013, 02:33:23 AM »
Richmond young players impress in the VFL

James Hunter-Smith
    April 07, 2013 9:29PM

ONLY days after Richmond coach Damian Hardwick lauded the depth of his side, the players vying for senior selection proved their worth in VFL-affiliate Coburg's 32-point win over Sandringham.

It was a mix of youth and experience which inspired the Tigers to victory, the final score reading 18.13 (121) to 13.11 (89).

Ex-Adelaide forward Chris Knights had 41 disposals - 19 of them contested.

Aaron Edwards, who was traded to Richmond after 78 games at North Melbourne, booted four goals and had 17 disposals.

"It was a pretty good all-round effort today with probably four or five guys really standing up,'' Coburg coach Tim Clarke said.

"Chris (Knights) continued to work throughout the day and ended up with over 40 touches, and his work rate was terrific."

The dangerous pair handed the Tigers their first lead of the match early in the second term after trading goals, Knights kicking truly on the tightest of angles.

Youngster Liam McBean, drafted at No.31 by Richmond last year, was also superb up forward finishing with four goals including two consecutive majors in the dying stages of the first half.

Robin Nahas (22 disposals), Matt White (26) and young gun Nick Vlastuin (16) were also lively.

Clarke agreed with the sentiments that Richmonds current depth is a huge benefit for the VFL affiliate.

"Were in a really strong position in that the 18 guys who came down (from Richmond) were in our best 22," Clarke said.

"Its not a preference that theyre on Richmonds list. If theyre in our best 22 well play them."

For Sandringham new Saint Trent Dennis-Lane kicked five goals.

The former Swan bagged four in the first half and was a dangerous target up forward.

Rookie-listed Saint Tom Curren was superb for Sandringham, finishing with 24 touches and two goals.

His second came after a third quarter scuffle saw him awarded with a 100m penalty.

Youngsters Sebastian Ross (19 disposals, 12 kicks) and Tom Ledger (17) were also dangerous.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-young-players-impress-in-the-vfl/story-e6frf9mx-1226614450796

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2013, 07:59:52 AM »
Thats great to hear, i couldnt believe he slipped through to us in the draft, talk a out a warehouse of talent down at coburg :shh

Nah, we stuffed it.  Should have taken Hannath or any other of the dozen better ruck prospects out there.

Hmm did Mcbean play ruck today? Whats that i hear?  no. What   does he look more  like?  A ruckman or a kpp?. What does his body shape look more like ruck or kpp.

Wo the heck is hannath, oooh i get your little game, ooh boy whoa yeah, we shoulda swapped the pick for jack watts :whistle.... :wallywink
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Crazy_Ivan

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2013, 11:46:35 AM »

WoW,Never seen so much dribble written.Oops i have.On BF.Oh wait,Hows things in BF going Claw? :lol :lol :lol

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2013, 12:05:38 PM »
Round 1 - Match Report - vs Sandringham Zebras
Coburg website
Monday, April 8, 2013

Coburg got their 2013 season off to the best possible start at Mantello Holden Oval on Sunday, defeating the Zebras 18.13.121 to 13.11.89 by 32 points.

The game started off as a very tightly contested matchup, with both teams showing great pressure and endeavour, clearly wanting to start off the season with a crucial 4 points. The Zebra's had the better of the term, kicking 3 goals to Coburg's 2, going in to the break 6 points up.

Coburg however came out looking a new unit in the second, taking control of the centre bounces through Orren Stephenson (35 hitouts), and getting first use of the ball more often than not. The Tigers used this to their advantage, kicking 5 goals to 2 for the quarter and going in to the main break 13 points clear. Richmond listed players Chris Knight's and Robin Nahas lead the way in the first half, with Knights wracking up 24 disposals and Nahas always looking dangerous, setting up a few goals with his run and pinpoint passing. Liam McBean also ended the half with 3 goals, providing a strong target in the forward half, and finishing with great accuracy.

The second half started in a similar fashion, with Coburg dominant through the middle and cleaner with the ball when it mattered most. Aaron Edwards came to life in the third, kicking 3 goals, with Elton and McBean also looking dangerous, helped out by some efficient delivery from the midfield group. The end of the quarter saw Coburg go in to the final change 25 points up, with the clouds looking likely to produce some heavy rain before the day was out.

Sure enough, mid way through the last quarter the rain came bucketing down, making ball use difficult for both sides, and giving the crowd some pure wet weather footy to spectate. The change in weather seemed to send a new-found spark in to the game, with tempers flaring to boiling point at one stage, seeing players from both teams getting involved in a boundary line scuff. The conflcit was soon resolved however, and Coburg didn't let it affect their play, getting on with the game and closing out the match victorious by 32 points.

Chris Knights didn't stop all day, collecting 41 touches with around half of those being contested - stating once again to Richmond selectors that he is ready to break in to the AFL squad. He was supported by impressive performances in the middle from Helbig and Venditti, With Dea also showing class running out of the back line all day. The wide spread of goal kickers for Coburg was also an impressive factor, showing that the squad will have quite a lot of depth for the coming season.

Coburg:          18.13.121
Sandringham: 13.11.89

Goals: Edwards, McBean 4, Elton 3, Helbig, Nahas, Carnell, Knights, Griffiths, Dea, Saad 1.

Best: Knights, Helbig, Stephenson, Dea, Edwards, Nahas.

The Development squad unfortunately went down earlier in the day by 25 points to the Sandringham side. They did show quite a lot of fight however, bringing the margin back from a larger deficit after half time. Abdallah, Keogh, Robortella and Anderson were amongst the best.

Round 2 will see Coburg face off against Williamstown next Saturday at 1pm. The game will be played at Burbank Oval.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10471-0-16771085&sID=56260&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=23063648

Match report on the RFC website here:
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-04-08/tigers-star-in-first-round-coburg-win

Online RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2013, 01:49:02 PM »

Why would/should we have taken Hannath when we had already identified and taken McBean with an earlier pick?  Maybe the club didn't rate Hannath and/or see the need for yet another ruckman?

So you expect Derickx to come in if Maric is rested?
After all Hannath was overlooked at the PSD BEFORE Stephenson was taken in the rookie at pick 33.
After all Derickx was played last year before Graham, kept on the list over Browne, has been on the list for two years over Giles, is on the senior list before Stephenson.
Don't think anyone really expects McBean to play ruck in his first AFL season but Derickx is the next choice ruck after Maric and Vickery.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2013, 02:00:58 PM »

After all Hannath was overlooked at the PSD BEFORE Stephenson was taken in the rookie at pick 33.
After all Derickx was played last year before Graham, kept on the list over Browne, has been on the list for two years over Giles, is on the senior list before Stephenson.
Don't think anyone really expects McBean to play ruck in his first AFL season but Derickx is the next choice ruck after Maric and Vickery.

negative on that one mate.

Big O is streets ahead of Derickx
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2013, 02:24:26 PM »

I don't know who they will play but my gut feel without seeing a Coburg game would be Stephenson.  Even though Derickx played before Graham last season I think that was as much to do with giving him a run to see what he had to offer because Graham's VFL form was certainly much better than Derickx's. This year I think it might be different in that they already know to an extent what they will (or won't) get with Derickx and that's why they got Stephenson - as an upgrade option on Graham (rightly or wrongly Coach  ;D ).  I reckon unless he shows serious improvement this year then Derickx is gone at season's end and we might see a much more serious upgrade attempt on Stephenson via Free Agency - enough to put some pressure on Maric's spot, if not take it.  McBean will be given plenty of time to develop and I don't think they will ruck him much at all for the major part of this year while he grows into his body.