Author Topic: Will RFC make the 8 in 2013?  (Read 11612 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rebuild on the Verge of Failure IMHO
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2013, 07:51:26 PM »
What many have missed saying is that Hardwick is a relatively inexperienced coach too. You cannot compare him to Williams or Roos. Both those guys also had far better lists to play with and could build for a flag. Hardwick inherited a terrible list followed by 2 heavily compromised drafts and an a mildly compromised draft. He has done ok. We as supporters are now expecting to win even against teams like Geelong. This wasn't the case 4 years ago.
What our players definitely need is an injection of self belief. That was what was really missing on Saturday. I was very interested in what Corey Enright had to say at the end of the game. He said that it was a tough game and it took them until we'll into the third quarter to "break us". In other words, they broke us mentally! We need to believe that we can stay in games against anybody. As long as we believe, we mentally can motivate ourselves to keep competing. If you continue to compete you are always a chance!
As for blooding players, I still feel that we need to keep playing youth. Vlastuin seems to make good decisions and has skill and courage. Ellis is improving. I still feel we are one tall player down. We should play a Griffiths or an Elton or even a McBean. These guys need to be played for a block of games. The coaches need to show they have faith in them. It's the only way they can truly step up.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Gigantor

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2013, 08:11:33 PM »
I understand why we want to play griff and Elton etc,for they promise so much..However if you guys went and watched both these guys at Coburg the past few weeks they have offered nada....They cant even get near the pill.so how does a coaching panel promote them?......look I may have this all wrong ,but surely good or at the very least reasonable form earns promotion

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2013, 08:24:31 PM »
Well, we might only have a window of 2-3 more years before the likes of Gold Coast and GWS go soaring past us and every other club.  It might be impossible to win a flag then for every other team.  Maybe that's the thinking by the club, and after this, maybe we will have to go to the well once more and bottom out when the draft concessions are pretty much over.

It could take a generation to rebuild. Consider our gun youngsters now playing the mentoring role when they are in their late 20s.

Bahhhhh who gives a poo. It's nothing we haven't survived before

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2013, 08:29:45 PM »
I understand why we want to play griff and Elton etc,for they promise so much..However if you guys went and watched both these guys at Coburg the past few weeks they have offered nada....They cant even get near the pill.so how does a coaching panel promote them?......look I may have this all wrong ,but surely good or at the very least reasonable form earns promotion
I understand that. The problem is there are players that are also giving nada in the seniors but are still getting games.  You may as well drop them. Why reward them or mediocrity. You might find that by elevating a guy like Griffiths and playing him in a Vickery like role, he might lift with better players around him. Even if he fails, you have at least given him a chance. Franklin played poorly when he played for Box Hill but was still elevated. He was even thrashed by Polo from memory. Some guys can't play well when surrounded by turkeys. Give them a chance at the big league. Not one game and drop them. Four games and see what they can do!

Gigantor

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »
ok..roll the dice and lets see how they go

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2013, 09:45:17 PM »
Well the whole rebuild is hinging on this weeks game is it, can someone tell the RFC that because it will be like a GF

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2013, 09:48:14 PM »
Well the whole rebuild is hinging on this weeks game is it, can someone tell the RFC that because it will be like a GF
I know you said that tongue in cheek.  I don't believe it does. I think that there will be ups and downs (we've already had them) but the main thing is we see an overall upward improvement.
Still think we need to blood more youth. I mean KPP youth.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2013, 09:49:43 PM »
I know you said that tongue in cheek.  I don't believe it does. I think that there will be ups and downs (we've already had them) but the main thing is we see an overall upward improvement.
Still think we need to blood more youth. I mean KPP youth.

Yeh agree some are just melodramatic

TigerTimeII

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2013, 10:04:05 PM »
of course we will fail
we r richmond

we need to exhume greame richmond, get his dna and clone him

thats our only hope

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2013, 10:08:10 PM »
I understand that. The problem is there are players that are also giving nada in the seniors but are still getting games.  You may as well drop them. Why reward them or mediocrity. You might find that by elevating a guy like Griffiths and playing him in a Vickery like role, he might lift with better players around him. Even if he fails, you have at least given him a chance. Franklin played poorly when he played for Box Hill but was still elevated. He was even thrashed by Polo from memory. Some guys can't play well when surrounded by turkeys. Give them a chance at the big league. Not one game and drop them. Four games and see what they can do!
Tom Hawkins played a lot of games in the senior team didnt do much early in his career but he's a finals machine now.
I agree totally Y & B. sometimes you need to give them a shot and back them in.
Development can come in a lot of different forms.
Geelong has Blicavs in the team and he's doing a good job at 22 and he's only just started playing AFL footy.
Maybe just need to give Griff a go in the forward line and let him show everyone once and for all if he's worth persisting with.
For some reason they want him to be a defender, maybe they know something we don't know.
The club that keeps giving.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2013, 10:11:10 PM »
they must know things about jackson rance white etc that i dont know cos they keep getting selected

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2013, 10:17:34 PM »
Tom Hawkins played a lot of games in the senior team didnt do much early in his career but he's a finals machine now.
I agree totally Y & B. sometimes you need to give them a shot and back them in.
Development can come in a lot of different forms.
Geelong has Blicavs in the team and he's doing a good job at 22 and he's only just started playing AFL footy.
Maybe just need to give Griff a go in the forward line and let him show everyone once and for all if he's worth persisting with.
For some reason they want him to be a defender, maybe they know something we don't know.

He was a gun at junior level.

Would have been top ten draft pick if not for athletics.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2013, 11:08:31 PM »
What many have missed saying is that Hardwick is a relatively inexperienced coach too. You cannot compare him to Williams or Roos. Both those guys also had far better lists to play with and could build for a flag. Hardwick inherited a terrible list followed by 2 heavily compromised drafts and an a mildly compromised draft. He has done ok. We as supporters are now expecting to win even against teams like Geelong. This wasn't the case 4 years ago.
What our players definitely need is an injection of self belief. That was what was really missing on Saturday. I was very interested in what Corey Enright had to say at the end of the game. He said that it was a tough game and it took them until we'll into the third quarter to "break us". In other words, they broke us mentally! We need to believe that we can stay in games against anybody. As long as we believe, we mentally can motivate ourselves to keep competing. If you continue to compete you are always a chance!
:clapping Agree 100% YBB great post

Offline Tigers of Old

• Premiership Captain
  • @Tigers_of_Old
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2013, 11:20:50 PM »
As for blooding players, I still feel that we need to keep playing youth. Vlastuin seems to make good decisions and has skill and courage. Ellis is improving. I still feel we are one tall player down. We should play a Griffiths or an Elton or even a McBean. These guys need to be played for a block of games. The coaches need to show they have faith in them. It's the only way they can truly step up.

Refreshing post.
Expectations have lifted. Probably too much after 3-0 but we're still ok AND still developing.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2013, 11:52:58 PM »

Great post, sensible and concise.
Some around these parts like to melodramatic.
3-3 and claiming the season over if we lose to PA.
It's a long season.

I remember correctly Stiffy did state at family day to enjoy the ride, I think he might be right.