Author Topic: Referendum question: Recognising Local Councils in the Constitution  (Read 1158 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
We should get rid of local government

Contains "fat cats" of the highest order. Part time pollies feasting on some many perks & lurks

A waste of rate payers money  :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks

I wonder why Gillard wants this referendum?

Abbott might be planning to cut local government.

More power to the states?

:help
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
We should get rid of local government

Contains "fat cats" of the highest order. Part time pollies feasting on some many perks & lurks

A waste of rate payers money  :banghead

Amen to that WP.   :clapping

An necessary drain on resources that could be picked up by state governments.  My ideal solution would be to remove some functions from state governments, especially those that have a national impact and are currently (wastefully) duplicated, and place all local council functions under state government control.  I think law enforcement, health and education are 3 key areas that could benefit greatly by being placed under federal control.  Of course, it will never happen because of our incumbent parochial system - too many vested self-serving interests - but we can dream hey!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Id go the other way and get rid of states ( I understand that it is near on impossible though) and would have local governments or shires based on federal electorates. Two directly linked tiers of government, with perhaps the "mayor" being the federal representative. you would need  some protections like any political party only being able to run one candidate and thus hold only one position in each shire.

like anything there are potential downsides, but i reckon this would eliminate a lot of the doubling up and waste of the current system, but still leave a localised form of government to address specific needs and issues for local constituents.

Unfortunately due to Australia being a federation of states and the states being unlikely to give up their power, this is about as likely as true world peace.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Id go the other way and get rid of states ( I understand that it is near on impossible though) and would have local governments or shires based on federal electorates. Two directly linked tiers of government, with perhaps the "mayor" being the federal representative. you would need  some protections like any political party only being able to run one candidate and thus hold only one position in each shire.

like anything there are potential downsides, but i reckon this would eliminate a lot of the doubling up and waste of the current system, but still leave a localised form of government to address specific needs and issues for local constituents.

Unfortunately due to Australia being a federation of states and the states being unlikely to give up their power, this is about as likely as true world peace.

Either way would probably work Al but the only reason I would talk against removing the state governments is to ensure state 'nationality' is retained.  In our country's political system we have the Senate as a very important "check and balance" against the potential stupidity of a House Of Representative's action (and I'm cutting across all party persuasions here - both have history and potential to make some howling blunders), and I wouldn't like to see that circuit breaker removed.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

We had a situation back when Kennett first came to office where he amalgamated local councils and for the really badly administrated ones (mainly those that were broke) he sacked the councils and put in CEO types to run the councils like businesses. It worked really well, they ran to budget, concentrated on projects to improve community programs and infrastructure.

Would prefer to see that type of set up than what we have local governments
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Either way would probably work Al but the only reason I would talk against removing the state governments is to ensure state 'nationality' is retained.  In our country's political system we have the Senate as a very important "check and balance" against the potential stupidity of a House Of Representative's action (and I'm cutting across all party persuasions here - both have history and potential to make some howling blunders), and I wouldn't like to see that circuit breaker removed.
you could still the retain the senate on a national level and i agree, it is an important cog in the system, most of the time.

I think that the state Nationality that talk you talk about is more of a hinderance. we often see the case of state v state or state v feds, often based on some dogmatic stubbornness. I know it occurred a long time ago, but different rail gauges up the east coast is one such case of that sort of stupidty.

I think it is imprtant to have representaive on a local level. could you imagine someone in cairns/broome/alice springs having to rely on a bureaucracy based in Brisbane/Perth/Darwin for their day to day issues such as rubbish collection, animal control, park maintenance etc. The differences in rural councils to urban councils would make it near on impossible for one central body to administer fairly competently.

I see the states as the middle man in the system, and they are normally the best ones to give the boot when streamlining and cost cutting.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

gerkin greg

Agree with Al

Don't get rid of the states, just the state govs

The system has basically been a mafia since federation

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
I can just see the unemployment queue's full of local government bureaucrats with their only skill set being able to push paper from one side of the desk to the other as slowly as possible.