Author Topic: Winning Well - Putting Sides Away  (Read 391 times)

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Winning Well - Putting Sides Away
« on: May 15, 2013, 08:39:36 AM »
Did anyone happen to notice a change in player attitude against the Power after we kicked the first few goals?  One of my biggest gripes is when we kick away and the players seem to get over excited or exhuberent after a goal then seem to switch off mentally which allows the other team to close the gap.  Happened rounds 1, 2, 4, 5 & 6. 
I noticed that against the Power that rather than jumping around, high fiving and smiling they seemed more humble like they actually expected to do it and wanted the next one.  This attitude I believe assisted the players in putting them away and keeping them at arms length.
I would like to see this attitude of expectance and belonging continue
This is the next step in the evolution of the players
The belief that they can and should win easy. 
My example is against Freo.  20 points up 1/4 time.  Players should be thinking we will by 80 rather than hang on they are going to come back here.  That is a simplistic mind set but I hope you get what I mean. 
Thats my take. 

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Winning Well - Putting Sides Away
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:28:30 AM »
Interesting take pmac. I think it actually has a lot to do with our intent and intensity. We seem to break out of the blocks quickly and through ourselves whole-heartedly into the content from the start to try and jump them early. We then seem to fade a little as the game nears an end while we attempt to hold on to our lead.

This is why we have not lost a first quarter so far this year but have let our lead slip in the last quarter frequently.

I believe it is a combination of intent and fitness rather than an attitude problem from the players. As the year progresses our match day fitness will also increase and I suspect this fade out phenomenon will diminish too.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 11:23:54 AM »
I saw the game plan from the Swans game last year on Saturday against the Power. We starved them the ball and kept switching play until something opened up. I think we might be starting to hit our groove.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 01:06:38 PM »
We planned very well for the port game and were focused from the word go. Importantly when we were challenged in the second quarter and final quarter we stood up and took our chances.