Author Topic: job cuts at Ford  (Read 1231 times)

Gigantor

job cuts at Ford
« on: May 23, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »
After todays mass job cuts at Ford how do you guys see the state of our economy?..Was it fair that taxpayers money was used for so many years to prop up a clearly inefficient car industry,or was this the price we had to pay to keep jobs and a strategic manufacturing industry alive?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: job cuts at Ford
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 06:50:09 PM »
Been thinking about it a bit and one thing I thought was what sort of responsibility as consumers & tax payers should we take (if any)?

What if we had supported Ford and actually bought their cars would it have made a difference?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Gigantor

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 06:55:15 PM »
WP as consumers I doubt we owe allegiances other than to our own financial concerns,as heartless as this sounds.
I think government,business,and unions have shoved our faces into it far too many times to expect these sort of allegiances and patriotism(to our manufacturing).
When you or I are in difficulty who helps us out of the mire?....nobody

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »
On the news, they said back in 2003 there were 74,000 falcons sold; last year only 14,000 were sold.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »
Obama bailout  :bow

dwaino

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 08:26:57 PM »
Manufacturing down in general. I'm in electric motors and we do a lot of new work. How busy we are is a direct reflection of mining and manufacturing and we haven't been this quiet since the GFC.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:54:54 PM »
Could this be the future replacement of the Territory. A Ranger SUV manufactured in Thailand.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/spied-fords-rugged-territory-rival-20130509-2ja81.html

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 12:27:03 AM »
Who cares
Go Holden!

dwaino

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 07:20:27 AM »
Who cares
Go Holden!

Might have to look at getting an SV6 next or something. Love my G6 but might be none to get next time I upgrade  :(

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 08:58:47 AM »
WP as consumers I doubt we owe allegiances other than to our own financial concerns,as heartless as this sounds.
I think government,business,and unions have shoved our faces into it far too many times to expect these sort of allegiances and patriotism(to our manufacturing).
When you or I are in difficulty who helps us out of the mire?....nobody

Only reason I raised it was because everyone is bemoaning the fact that are our manufacturing industry continues to shrink.

We sook and moan that things are no longer made here but in the same breath we as consumers don't support Aust manufacturing by buying Australian. Look at our textile industry, bascially goneskis because we went down the path of buying the cheapest not necessarily best. And yes Aust made is usually more expensive but our quality standards are far more superior than things produces off shore.

Just wonder if we have the right to complain about manufacturing disappearing when we don't for whatever reason support locally made goods. Not sure we can have it both ways

As for whether the successive Governments (and both sides of politics have propped up the car industry) should have used taxpapyers money to prop them up. Even though I don't like because it seems the support has only been for the car industry and not other battling industry I understand why they've done it.

The ramifications if they didn't was jobs losses and hits to our economy on a far greater scale than just those people at the car makers.

We will be lookng at replacing my car within the next 12-15 months and mine is an SUV because we need one for transporting the 4 legged kids. At this stage it will be a Territory, have always wanted one but gone with another option because of price, wont be next time. DOnt want to give those in charge at Ford an excuse to close earlier than 2016 and sack folks   ;) 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)