Author Topic: Has Rance Been Distracted Recently?  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Has Rance Been Distracted Recently?
« on: May 24, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »
AFL player's stalker 'wanted romance'

Date:  May 24, 2013 - 1:37PM

A Melbourne man who stalked AFL player Alex Rance organised a "gay orgy" at Rance's family home because he could not cope with being rejected, a court has heard.

Scott Thomas, 35, of Prahran, befriended the Richmond defender in 2011 after creating a fake profile on Facebook using photos of a UK-based male sports model, the Melbourne Magistrates Court heard on Friday.

He can't cope with what he perceives to be the end of the two men's association.

Prosecutor Sergeant Belinda Cowley said Thomas gauged Rance's interest in auditioning for a role as a host of a sports-based reality television show on MTV, telling Rance he would put him in contact with his singer/songwriter friend who was producing the show.

Sgt Cowley said Thomas began contacting Rance using the name Scott Raymond and the pair met to discuss the program.
Advertisement

But the association soon soured, with Thomas sending Rance text messages that were "critical and scathing of him, highlighting his reluctance to spend more time with the accused", he told the court.

She said Thomas then began hacking Rance's Facebook and email accounts, sending a message to his girlfriend that Rance was "living a lie and was, in fact, homosexual".

He then told Rance that a "gay orgy" had been arranged at his family's home.

Sgt Cowley said "suspicious persons" then began attending the home, with one man entering the house when only Rance's sister and grandmother were present.

She said Thomas also sent a message to members of the Richmond Football Club, questioning Rance's integrity.

Thomas has pleaded guilty to 26 charges including stalking Rance and harassing his sister Ally, both of whom were present in court on Friday.

He has also pleaded guilty to obtaining more than $50,000 by deception, after setting up a fake medical practice and selling human growth hormones while pretending to be a doctor.

Thomas' lawyer, Malcolm Thomas, said the prosecution had presented a "lopsided" and misleading version of events.

He said the men had an "intense friendship", with text messages running backwards and forwards between them constantly.

He said the pair went to each other's homes, had dinner together, saw movies and went shopping together when Thomas began to develop feelings for Rance.

"Mr Thomas developed perhaps a genesis of a romantic attachment to Mr Rance," he said.

"He can't cope with what he perceives to be the end of the two men's association.

"He is hurt by the way the association ended and the offending is a reaction to that hurt."

Mr Thomas said his client suffered mental illness and should be sentenced to a community corrections order because jail would worsen his condition.

Thomas will be sentenced on Friday afternoon.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-players-stalker-wanted-romance-20130524-2k5q9.html

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Has Rance Been Distracted Recently?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 02:34:28 PM »
What

The

stuff?

That is a fairly substantial distraction.  :banghead :banghead

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Fake doctor obsessed with Richmond star Alex Rance, court hears

Emily Portelli
    Herald Sun
    May 24, 2013 1:20PM

A PRETEND doctor selling fake human growth hormones stalked Tigers star Alex Rance because he fell in love with him and was "lashing out" after being rejected, a court has heard.

Defence counsel Malcolm Thomas said Scott Raymond Thomas, 35, developed an "intense friendship" with the Richmond defender in 2011, with up to 47 messages passing between the two a day.

After Rance ended the friendship because it was "getting too much", Thomas hacked into his Facebook account and sent his then girlfriend and now wife, Georgia, a message.

Thomas also organised a gay orgy at Rance’s parents’ home, police prosecutor senior constable Belinda Cowley told the Melbourne Magistrates' Court today.

She said a number of people turned up to the home, including one when Rance’s grandmother and sister, Ali, were the only people home.

Thomas, of Newcastle, sent Facebook messages to Richmond football players questioning Rance’s ethics and personal conduct.

Barrister Mr Thomas said his client went "to pieces" when Rance ended their association and the offences were "a reaction to that hurt".

"There was a close friendship which involved going to each other's home, having dinners together, seeing movies together, shopping together, Mr Thomas being invited by Mr Rance to various functions," Mr Thomas said.

"It's clear from reading the text messages that Mr Thomas developed perhaps the genesis of a romantic attachment to Mr Rance through the context of their friendship and expressed that romantic attachment in various ways to Mr Rance through the text messages."

Ms Cowley disputed this was clear in the text messages and said the lawyer's submissions were designed to cause hurt or embarrassment to Rance.

Magistrate Caitlin English reminded Mr Thomas it was his client's conduct that was being impugned, not Rance's.

The young footballer sat quietly throughout the plea hearing with his wife, sister, mother and a friend.

He and two of his teammates avoided giving evidence at a hearing last month after Thomas indicated he would plead guilty.

Thomas pleaded guilty to 26 charges - including stalking Rance at Prahran between September 17 and October 6, 2011, using a carriage service to harass Rance’s sister and obtaining $50,655 in cash by deception by selling medicines while purporting to be a doctor.

Thomas claimed to be an endocrinologist and used post-nominal titles that indicated he was a fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians and held a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery.

He also made a false statutory declaration, trafficked testosterone and submitted false claims for royalties to the Australasian Performing Right Association.

Forty-seven of the 73 criminal charges against Thomas were withdrawn.

Mr Thomas said his client had psychological or psychiatric issues - including low self-esteem and post-traumatic stress disorder from a stint in an American prison.

He was previously jailed in the United States and Australia for deception offences which involved selling tickets on eBay.

Rance, 23, has played 74 games for the Tigers since his 2009 debut.

Thomas will be sentenced this afternoon.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national-news/victoria/fake-doctor-obsessed-with-richmond-star-alex-rance-court-hears/story-fnii5sms-1226649924962#ixzz2UBJQJXXF

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 02:41:38 PM »
 :shh
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Tigers of Old

• Premiership Captain
  • @Tigers_of_Old
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 02:46:38 PM »
Wouldn't anyone be?

Think Alex needs to be cut a bit of slack in light of his off field dramas.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 03:06:13 PM »
Poor bloke. Organising the orgy and having strange men just walk in off the street into his family home where his sister was home alone is the lowest of low. What an absolute psycho. Lucky he didn't dress up as Marlyn Monroe and come after him with a knife.  :o

I'm surprized he has been able to play at all.  >:(

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 03:10:55 PM »
This has been ongoing for a while, it was brought up in another thread maybe last year that this may be affecting him but some here chose to ignore the fact  ::). They also wont post on here this week if we win  ;)
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
Geezus Username leave Rance alone..... :lol ;)
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 03:37:38 PM »
Son of Zeus

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 04:29:30 PM »
HUN Web-site reporting the stalker has been jailed for a year:

A PRETEND doctor who organised a gay orgy at Tigers star Alex Rance's family home because Rance rejected his affections has been jailed for one year.

Full article:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/fake-doctor-obsessed-with-richmond-star-alex-rance-court-hears/story-fni0fee2-1226649924962
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Fake doctor obsessed with Richmond star Alex Rance, court hears

Emily Portelli
    Herald Sun
    May 24, 2013 1:20PM

Defence counsel Malcolm Thomas said Scott Raymond Thomas, 35, developed an "intense friendship" with the Richmond defender in 2011, with up to 47 messages passing between the two a day.

Barrister Mr Thomas said his client went "to pieces" when Rance ended their association and the offences were "a reaction to that hurt".

"There was a close friendship which involved going to each other's home, having dinners together, seeing movies together, shopping together, Mr Thomas being invited by Mr Rance to various functions," Mr Thomas said.

"It's clear from reading the text messages that Mr Thomas developed perhaps the genesis of a romantic attachment to Mr Rance through the context of their friendship.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national-news/victoria/fake-doctor-obsessed-with-richmond-star-alex-rance-court-hears/story-fnii5sms-1226649924962#ixzz2UBJQJXXF

From personal experience this sort of thing happens only if your truly talented in the bedroom.
Believe me, the said partner gets a little too attached from being swept away by a great lover.
I normally let the babes know that I'm not the relationship kind of guy and this is where Rance made his mistake. Shopping, movies and romantic dinners, are a complete no no for the professional lover and I personally have never gone to this extent with any women I've been involved with its only sending the wrong signals.  ;D

The club that keeps giving.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame

From personal experience this sort of thing happens only if your truly talented in the bedroom.
Believe me, the said partner gets a little too attached from being swept away by a great lover.
I normally let the babes know that I'm not the relationship kind of guy and this is where Rance made his mistake. Shopping, movies and romantic dinners, are a complete no no for the professional lover and I personally have never gone to this extent with any women I've been involved with its only sending the wrong signals.  ;D

:lol   :clapping

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 05:45:01 PM »
 :facepalm
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame

Still drunk after the Carlton win?

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 06:17:46 PM »
Bet he s a carlton supporter too, throw the book at him :wallywink
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled