Author Topic: Dayle Garlett - Worth the Risk??  (Read 85919 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Dayle Garlett - Worth the Risk??
« on: May 29, 2013, 10:36:05 AM »
This could be the small forward we have been after for years....worth the risk????? Why not IMO!!!!!!

Shunned young gun Dayle Garlett says he is a changed man and ready for AFL football

FOOTBALL'S problem child, Dayle Garlett, says he has corrected the lifestyle problems that warranted him being labelled "a ticking time bomb'' at last year's national draft. 

Garlett was overlooked by all 18 clubs last year and was kicked out of the AIS/AFL academy despite a reputation as the most talented footballer in the draft pool.

The slick left-footer trained with Essendon in the off-season but was bypassed after a 4am bender in Perth only three days before the pre-season draft.

But Garlett has had a stunning off-field transformation, convincing Swan Districts officials and recruiters he will be worth the punt in November.

Garlett broke his silence on last year's draft snub.

"Football-wise, I was probably ready last year,'' Garlett told the Herald Sun.

"Maturity-wise, probably not. But I feel better than ever.

"I have got a girlfriend and things are going great.

"I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

"My main focus is to make the AFL at the end of the year and I'm going to give it 100 per cent.''

On the field, Garlett has been an unstoppable force for Swan Districts this season, bagging four goals in a move forward on Saturday.

He has averaged 20 possessions and two a goals a game, being heavily tagged.

Swans player development officer Steve Thomson, who has run the house which has sometimes sheltered Garlett, said the AFL club that took Garlett would have "no regrets''.

"No one can lay a glove on him,'' Thomson said.

"And his kicking is elite.

"He makes the football talk.

"If he doesn't get drafted in his career, he will be the best player I've seen to never get drafted.''

Thomson says the 181cm speedster has settled down off the field, fuelling hope of a remarkable tale of redemption.

With the strong support of his girlfriend's family and the Swans Districts Football Club, the former party boy attends a personal trainer course four days a week.

He is sleeping regular hours and eating properly.

Thomson says he is helping teach other indigenous youngsters how to ``properly fuel their bodies''.

Garlett posted photographs of himself drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes on social media in the lead-up to last year's national draft, which were published in a Western Australian newspaper.

But Garlett said he was serious about getting his act together.

"Definitely those off-field issues are gone and I'm making progress step-by-step,'' Garlett said.

"I'm studying and playing good footy, but it's not just on-field - it's off-field.''

Thomson said he wasn't surprised when Garlett was overlooked at last year's draft, but this season is shaping up differently.

"Missing out last year did hurt him and shake him up and you questioned whether he was going to go on with it (footy) or not.

"Pre-season started and he wasn't with us (at training) for a while, but the setback in the end was one that had to happen.

"It was a good call (from clubs overlooking him).

"Instead of getting him in the system, when he would probably have come straight back out, he will go in there a lot better prepared.

Thomson is convinced the run and carry machine would reward whichever club plucks him.

If the draft was tomorrow, Thomson was certain he would find an AFL home.

It is believed Hawthorn, St Kilda, Collingwood and Fremantle has showed the most interest in the past.

"Once someone does take that chance, they will have no regrets, '' Thomson said.

"He will chew up as much work as a club can put on his plate.

"The rest of things took time for him to mature and grow up a touch. To understand what direction he wanted to go in.

"His football can match anyone, it's just getting used to the day to day rigours of AFL-life that he has had to work on, but he definitely has showed he is on the right track.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/shunned-young-gun-dayle-garlett-says-he-is-a-changed-man-and-ready-for-afl-football/story-e6frf9jf-1226652508331
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:53:52 PM by one-eyed »
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dayle Garlett - Worth the Risk??
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 10:42:05 AM »
Shame his head wasn't right, is clearly a talented kid. If he does manage to keep himself out of trouble, would love for us to get him, but another club would more than likely get in first.  :banghead

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 10:42:29 AM »
Give him a go
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »
Shame his head wasn't right, is clearly a talented kid. If he does manage to keep himself out of trouble, would love for us to get him, but another club would more than likely get in first.  :banghead

Send Daniel Jackson and a kilo to Swan Districts as a sweetener
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 10:58:42 AM »
Certainly saying all the right things in the article but it is easy to say the right things

Think we may have heard it before (actually the cynic in me says we did  ;D)

But yep let's give him a go and then if things turn to "do-dos" everyone can blast the club for wasting another draft pick, can't develop indigneous kids nah make that we can't develop any kids etc etc

Hope he gets an opportunity, dont' think it will be with us but if it is then that's fine too. Not fussed one way or another
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 11:03:17 AM »
I wouldn't care less if we picked him up and it failed, would show him up more than us.

But gee if he worked out...whoa.....this could be that X factor player we are after. Like Rioli....would love that!!!

Get it done Tiges... :gotigers
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

gerkin greg

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 11:29:44 AM »
Should be around at our pick #8

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 11:43:12 AM »
Not first rounder. Anywhere after I couldn't care less, it's not like we have been good picks after our first anyway. Maybe it's time for one to work out for us  :shh

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 11:50:24 AM »
Should be around at our pick #8

You expecting a few more wins gerks?  :shh

Last year I said this kid had to miss if he was ever going to make it in the AFL. Needed the kick in the balls to spur him on. It could have had a negative impact and he gave up but that would have shown he didn't want it. He's gone back and done everything to change everyone's minds now.

I also said at the time I'd be happy to pay a 1st/2nd rounder for him if he got himself straight this year. I think he'll be there at our 2nd rounder.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 12:14:11 PM »

Needed the kick in the balls to spur him on.

That generally spurs me on too, although not to play AFL football.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 12:21:45 PM »

Needed the kick in the balls to spur him on.

That generally spurs me on too, although not to play AFL football.
:lol

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 02:10:25 PM »
no. too risky.

would rather re-rookie Lonergan  :-X

Proven AFL standard player.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 02:27:12 PM »
no. too risky.

Is that you Dimma?

Ruanaidh

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 04:56:26 PM »
I said well before the draft that we needed Garlett. The fact that we could have rookied him but didn't still rankles. 

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 05:45:26 PM »
no. too risky.

Is that you Dimma?

:banghead

Lonergan is VFL standard.

Rookie list D.Garlett  :gotigers