Author Topic: Dayle Garlett - Worth the Risk??  (Read 85898 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dayle Garlett - Worth the Risk?? / Richmond has spoken to him [update]
« Reply #240 on: November 19, 2013, 09:12:37 AM »
Most clubs now don't want to be forced to be 24/7 babysitters of what are meant to be young adults and use up club resources worrying about one player at the expense of the rest of the list. As al has said, the days of getting drafted on natural talent alone as gone.

Well he will get picked up and your theory will be wrong

Hawks most likely will pick em up, if not many other suitors ready to pounce
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #241 on: November 19, 2013, 09:19:17 AM »
Darks have a spare minder twiddling his thumbs after Buddy has left. They are getting Garlett to step into that vacant position.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #242 on: November 19, 2013, 09:26:05 AM »
If anyone doubts how important it is that we draft a very good small forward one day have a look at one of the best we have ever had. We have not had a very good small forward since this bloke, I used to love it when the ball went near him.

The best we've ever had ? Not had a very good small forward since Naish ? Geez don't we like to glorify the past. Naish was an ok player. Had a good year in 95 and that's about it really. All downhill from there.
 Anyhows , I'll see your Chris Naish and raise you a Nathan Brown.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #243 on: November 19, 2013, 09:43:51 AM »
Looks like he won't last long in the draft but I would have been happy if we picked him up (not with our first pick of course).

Saw his highlights. Looks like he's worth the risk.

We desperately need a small forward...

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #244 on: November 19, 2013, 09:55:19 AM »
If anyone doubts how important it is that we draft a very good small forward one day have a look at one of the best we have ever had. We have not had a very good small forward since this bloke, I used to love it when the ball went near him.

The best we've ever had ? Not had a very good small forward since Naish ? Geez don't we like to glorify the past. Naish was an ok player. Had a good year in 95 and that's about it really. All downhill from there.
 Anyhows , I'll see your Chris Naish and raise you a Nathan Brown.

Now read my post again please, actually read it please..."ONE OF THE BEST"!!!!!!! Nathan Brown was not a small forward, we recruited him as a midfielder/forward...Naish had a few more better years than just 95!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #245 on: November 19, 2013, 10:11:01 AM »
For a short time, Nathan Brown was comfortably the best player in the AFL. He was a magician. He is easily thr best small forward since KB ended his career on a HFF.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #246 on: November 19, 2013, 10:17:01 AM »
That would be 2005. I remember I was 16 and my dad picked me up from my GF's house. Asked him how the footy went. Lost to Melbourne he said. NB broke his leg. Ruined my night massively....

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #247 on: November 19, 2013, 10:30:23 AM »
NBrown was #1 player in the game when be broke his leg

Carrying an average team to 7-2

Averaging a shyte load of goals and disposals

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #248 on: November 19, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
Most clubs now don't want to be forced to be 24/7 babysitters of what are meant to be young adults and use up club resources worrying about one player at the expense of the rest of the list. As al has said, the days of getting drafted on natural talent alone as gone.

And what happens if he doesn't work out? There are no guarantees here to suggest it workout with Garlett so to suggest otherwise is..well... foolish. 

Just say we did pick him up (and I don't care if they do & ditto if they don't), it doesn't work out and he ends up being like the Troy Taylor experiment. Who will you blame? The Club or the player?

Hawks had Carl Peterson for a time, people on here bagged our Club about letting him go because he played a handful of good games for the Hawks. Then low & behold the Hawks ended up flicking him too.... for the same reasons we did

As I said there are no guarantees and it doesn't matter who the club is
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #249 on: November 19, 2013, 10:55:30 AM »
Donuts.  8)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #250 on: November 19, 2013, 11:55:04 AM »
A 2005 version of N.Brown for 2014 would be awesome !
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #251 on: November 19, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
Now read my post again please, actually read it please..."ONE OF THE BEST"!!!!!!! Nathan Brown was not a small forward, we recruited him as a midfielder/forward...Naish had a few more better years than just 95!!

Yeh I read it fine.' One of the best'. Well , no he wasn't.
As for Nathan Brown not being a small forward , well , I don't even know what to say to that comment but I'll try this... Nathan Brown was one of the best SMALL FORWARDS in the AFL for the past 30 years.

Anyhow back to Garlett. We just have to trust the RFC on this one. If all the other clubs pass on him I'd hope that we do too.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #252 on: November 19, 2013, 12:25:13 PM »
We took Cuz and he was high risk. We were also a rabble at that time. I would've thought we are in a good position to take Garlett.

He's not gonna go out and snort coke with Dusty lol. Calm down people. If he's still around when our second pick is up I'd be disappointed if we didn't pull the trigger.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

the claw

« Reply #253 on: November 19, 2013, 12:39:33 PM »

And what happens if he doesn't work out? There are no guarantees here to suggest it workout with Garlett so to suggest otherwise is..well... foolish. 

Just say we did pick him up (and I don't care if they do & ditto if they don't), it doesn't work out and he ends up being like the Troy Taylor experiment. Who will you blame? The Club or the player?

Hawks had Carl Peterson for a time, people on here bagged our Club about letting him go because he played a handful of good games for the Hawks. Then low & behold the Hawks ended up flicking him too.... for the same reasons we did

suppose it comes down to which pick hawthorn use on him. pick 58 is worth risking on garlett imo.

at this pick taking any other kid is a risk lets say talent wise.

if hawthorn use 58 on another kid it is more likely to fail than succeed thats the hard reality. theres no guarantees.
the risk with garlett is not skills but supposedly attitude there are no guarantees.  at pick 58 its a risk either way so for me it then becomes an issue of risk / reward.
with any other kid its a high risk for likely low reward. if he makes it and its a big if hes likely only going to be a decent player at best.
with garlett its still high risk but bloody hell if he makes its  high reward because of his skillset.

as for the baysitter comments of some. if they took the time to find out what the kids done the last 12months they would see there are no babysitters. hes done it all off his own back if anything hes shown a real desire to succeed.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #254 on: November 19, 2013, 12:43:49 PM »

troy taylor and Peterson didn't kick 50 goals in the WAFL after his career threatened to be taken away from him.

They were both rubbish from day 1 on the field and between the ears. This guy has potential and clubs have shown they are willing to take risks if it doesn't cost them much

we don't have any descent smalls(kingy is just about done) and he is a risk worth taking. I would've rather the tigers have  taken a punt on him than 30 for graham.

Mrakov he wont be around that pick mate. Gone by pick 30 is a given
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.