Author Topic: Dayle Garlett - Worth the Risk??  (Read 85926 times)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: Dayle Garlett - Worth the Risk?? / Richmond has spoken to him [update]
« Reply #255 on: November 19, 2013, 01:00:30 PM »
Most clubs now don't want to be forced to be 24/7 babysitters of what are meant to be young adults and use up club resources worrying about one player at the expense of the rest of the list. As al has said, the days of getting drafted on natural talent alone as gone.

Well he will get picked up and your theory will be wrong

Hawks most likely will pick em up, if not many other suitors ready to pounce

And what happens if he doesn't work out? There are no guarantees here to suggest it workout with Garlett so to suggest otherwise is..well... foolish. 

Just say we did pick him up (and I don't care if they do & ditto if they don't), it doesn't work out and he ends up being like the Troy Taylor experiment. Who will you blame? The Club or the player?

Hawks had Carl Peterson for a time, people on here bagged our Club about letting him go because he played a handful of good games for the Hawks. Then low & behold the Hawks ended up flicking him too.... for the same reasons we did

As I said there are no guarantees and it doesn't matter who the club is

troy taylor and Peterson didn't kick 50 goals in the WAFL after his career threatened to be taken away from him.

They were both rubbish from day 1 on the field and between the ears. This guy has potential and clubs have shown they are willing to take risks if it doesn't cost them much

we don't have any descent smalls(kingy is just about done) and he is a risk worth taking. I would've rather the tigers have  taken a punt on him than 30 for graham.

Mrakov he wont be around that pick mate. Gone by pick 30 is a given

We probably wouldn't take him if he was anyway  ::)
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #256 on: November 19, 2013, 01:32:23 PM »
Definitely not if matt Thomas I'd available  :shh

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #257 on: November 19, 2013, 01:44:56 PM »
as for the baysitter comments of some. if they took the time to find out what the kids done the last 12months they would see there are no babysitters. hes done it all off his own back if anything hes shown a real desire to succeed.

1/ Yes his "desire to succeed" was evident when he didn't show at a scheduled meeting with Port Adelaide officials mid season and he gave no reason as to why. He left the excuse making to his club who couldn't give a definite answer

2/ To a point it depends on what you're definition of "babysitting" is exactly? You'll find his WAFL club gave him a lot of support this season both on and off field. Yes he's had an attitude shift but don't think for a moment there wasn't support around him.

3/ I've said I we were take a chance on him, it wouldn't worry me = great. If we chose not to then that's fine as well. But to suggest that selecting this kid doesn't come with some sort of risk of it possibly failing is as naive at best

troy taylor and Peterson didn't kick 50 goals in the WAFL after his career threatened to be taken away from him.

They were both rubbish from day 1 on the field and between the ears. This guy has potential and clubs have shown they are willing to take risks if it doesn't cost them much

Taking taylor out of the equation & let's just look at Carl Peterson; your argument becomes flawed

Peterson had his AFL career taken away from him when Richmond cut him. He went back to various leagues, played and played well enough for a top 4 side in the Hawks to show interest. He & his partner had a family, he got himself a job and he had supposedly settled down.

He was then picked up by Hawthorn as rookie getting gifted a 2nd chance. He got promoted, played AFL again and everyone said how could Richmond flick this kid? By seasons end Hawthorn a supposedly strong club that can handle all types of players including wayward ones gives him the flick as well; for the same reason the RFC did.

He was a rick the first time and clearly the 2nd time

Garlett may turn out to be a model player, do all the right things and kudos to him if he does. it will be a great story

But to think that just becuase he's kicked 50 odd goals in the WAFL and missed out on the draft last year that it's all going to be perfect is as I said before foolish. He is a risk

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #258 on: November 19, 2013, 01:48:25 PM »
Why do you continue with the peterson comparison? Cause both are black?

My undetstanding he was never considered ad a potential top ten draft prospect - unlik DayleGarlett

Hence the analogy is not apt

Pretty much everyone outside the #1 pick appears to have some level of risk.bow many kids that were so highly drafted in their draft pool, proven at only 19 in the state league are options? Very few. Not peterson

He doesn't need to become a model player. This notion of footballers being model citizens for th masses to look up to is rubbish IMO.

All I care about is will he  contribute as a starting 18/22 player - help this club win a flag. I couldn't. Are less about how privacy

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #259 on: November 19, 2013, 01:54:12 PM »
Dayle Garlett is not black he's tanned
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #260 on: November 19, 2013, 02:20:44 PM »

My undetstanding he was never considered ad a potential top ten draft prospect - unlik DayleGarlett

Pretty much everyone outside the #1 pick appears to have some level of risk.bow many kids that were so highly drafted in their draft pool, proven at only 19 in the state league are options? Very few. Not peterson

He doesn't need to become a model player. This notion of footballers being model citizens for th masses to look up to is rubbish IMO.

All I care about is will he  contribute as a starting 18/22 player - help this club win a flag. I couldn't. Are less about how privacy

Why not? and BTW colour has nothing to do with it.

And you are missing my point (again)

Their circumstances are similar.

Both have/had supposedly settled down with families, were working, played in comps where they could get noticed. One was given a 2nd chance at AFL footy and blew it. It was a risk to take Peterson and despite playing good footy at AFL his inability to show enough dedication to being an AFL footballer cost him.

Would you like me to use another player for comparison. How about Mitch Thorp; he was a top 10 draft pick. He got selected blew his chance by not showing the aplication required, taking things for granted (his own admission) and now 2-3 years after being cut by the Hawks he is inline for a possible 2nd chance. Is there any risk in taking him? Absolutely, so clubs will be weighing up that risk just like they are with Garlett 

I am not disputing for one minute that Garlett has had a sensational season in the WAFL. I am not disputing that it appears on the surface that the "penny has dropped" and he now understands to make it in the AFL he needs to be dedicated, talent alone isn't going to get him anywhere. Though his no show at a scheduled interview with Port officials makes you question whether he does completely get it   

BTW what I mean by "model player" is a player who gets to training on time, in a fit state to train, does all the hard work to ensure they get the best out of themselves and gives their best to their club. It should be a given not an exception

Which again brings me to my point - to suggest as someone people on here have that in 2014 there is no risk associated in drafting Dayle Garlett because of his obvious natural talent is foolish & naive. There is a risk just like there is for anyone who may get a 2nd chance or is a late draft pick

So I will repeat it all for one final time:

If the RFC decide to draft Dayle Garlett I will be happy to have him at our club. If they've already chosen not to then I accept that too. If we miss out on him because someone else takes him before we have a chance too, then that's the way it goes, we move on and welcome the newbies we draft

Can I make it any clearer?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #261 on: November 19, 2013, 02:28:04 PM »

as the discussion is about player's attitudes and how that affects their chances of becoming a long term player, the analogy is very apt.

its not about whether they are model citizens, it about whether they have the strength of character and commitment to knuckle down and do the hard work required to make the grade.

someone who doesnt have their life in order outside of football is decreasing their chances of this happening
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

the claw

« Reply #262 on: November 19, 2013, 08:10:16 PM »
so he missed one interview for what ever reason. i say what ever reason because no one knows why he missed it. maybe he just got the jitters or maybe he just didnt want to end up in adelaide, maybe he just got the dates wrong  who knows.

so he missed one interview and its cause to ignore all the hard work hes done in the last 12 months not just on the footy field but off it.
on field he could do no more, hes been great. his work ethic and willingness to do extra to improve himself has been enormous. his improvement in this area is highlighted by the vastly improved draft camp times and figures he produced. a lot of improvement came from a program he devised off his own bat in his own time. his willingness to train and work is surely not in question.

as for off field its been widely acknowledged hes settled down got a girlfriend given up on no hopers and while still having a beer doing it at the right time and place and with the right type of people.
there is little more he could do off field except maybe not miss that interview. but hey hes missed it so lets hang draw and quarter him for it. lets basically ignore everything else hes done.

i will say it again at pick 58 is his attiude a greater risk than say the lack of skills another kid will bring at that pick. ffs just look at our record with these types of picks so waht if he doesnt work out id say hes a better chance of making it than any kid we would take at a similar pick. hes certainly shown every inclination and desire to do what has to be done.
the risk reward factor says we really should be giving this kid a chance we would be taking no bigger chance on failure than we would if we took another kid here.
so one kid fails because he has too many deficiencies in his game the other failds because he might still have an attitude problem even though hes done most things to say otherwise.if both fail at that pick what have you lost. if both make it what do you gain.

its like the nay sayers with a edwards he got drunk when he should not have but was always a hard worker. buddy franklin would never ever have been drafted if people took note of the party boy he was the thing is buddy always was willing to work on his game and do the hard yrds garlett imo is no different. edwards and buddy had to learn when to party and nwhen not to id say garlett has shown hes learnt that harsh lesson.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #263 on: November 19, 2013, 08:46:52 PM »
so he missed one interview for what ever reason. i say what ever reason because no one knows why he missed it. maybe he just got the jitters or maybe he just didnt want to end up in adelaide, maybe he just got the dates wrong  who knows.

so he missed one interview and its cause to ignore all the hard work hes done in the last 12 months not just on the footy field but off it.
on field he could do no more, hes been great. his work ethic and willingness to do extra to improve himself has been enormous. his improvement in this area is highlighted by the vastly improved draft camp times and figures he produced. a lot of improvement came from a program he devised off his own bat in his own time. his willingness to train and work is surely not in question.

as for off field its been widely acknowledged hes settled down got a girlfriend given up on no hopers and while still having a beer doing it at the right time and place and with the right type of people.
there is little more he could do off field except maybe not miss that interview. but hey hes missed it so lets hang draw and quarter him for it. lets basically ignore everything else hes done.

i will say it again at pick 58 is his attiude a greater risk than say the lack of skills another kid will bring at that pick. ffs just look at our record with these types of picks so waht if he doesnt work out id say hes a better chance of making it than any kid we would take at a similar pick. hes certainly shown every inclination and desire to do what has to be done.
the risk reward factor says we really should be giving this kid a chance we would be taking no bigger chance on failure than we would if we took another kid here.
so one kid fails because he has too many deficiencies in his game the other failds because he might still have an attitude problem even though hes done most things to say otherwise.if both fail at that pick what have you lost. if both make it what do you gain.

its like the nay sayers with a edwards he got drunk when he should not have but was always a hard worker. buddy franklin would never ever have been drafted if people took note of the party boy he was the thing is buddy always was willing to work on his game and do the hard yrds garlett imo is no different. edwards and buddy had to learn when to party and nwhen not to id say garlett has shown hes learnt that harsh lesson.

Firstly the interview with Port Adelaide was to be in Perth, while the Power was there. He didn't need to travel anywhere.

Simple fact is he didn't show and he didn't have the courtesy to inform them he wasn't going to be there. Not the way to treat a prospective employer. Not a great reflection on his attitude.

You are correct no one knows why he didn't show because he refused today - again rightly or wrongly not a good look from someone who is seeking a 2nd chance

Secondly, I haven't disputed what he has done this year in the WAFL because it isn't in dispute. But for to suggest that clubs should not consider all his actions this year including missing that interview iand only look at the on filed isn't IMHO going to happen and nor should it.

Also, suggest you read my entire post have said so many times have no problem if we draft him, just didn't think anyone should ignore the fact it is a risk as all late picks

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #264 on: November 20, 2013, 07:03:07 AM »
Need Garlett, the guy below or some guy that represents a small forward, maybe a garden gnome... ;D

Sam Lloyd (Frankston, 23, 182cm, 82kg): an excitement package from top to toe: likes nothing better than submitting contenders for mark and goal of the year. Regularly succeeded on both counts. Kicked 38 goals from 17 games (and a century of goals for Deniliquin in 2010) in his first season swimming with the Dolphins.

Paul Amy has done a write up of all the potential draftees out of the VFL:
http://www.news.com.au/national/academy-coach-predicts-up-to-10-vfl-players-will-take-the-next-step-into-afl/story-e6frfkp9-1226762741599#mm-breached

DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #265 on: November 20, 2013, 09:18:02 AM »

Firstly the interview with Port Adelaide was to be in Perth, while the Power was there. He didn't need to travel anywhere.

Simple fact is he didn't show and he didn't have the courtesy to inform them he wasn't going to be there. Not the way to treat a prospective employer. Not a great reflection on his attitude.
He was actually at the venue so he kinda showed up. He just wasn't in a state to be interviewed so the club had to make up excuses for him.  ::) But yeah he's learnt his lesson  :lol :lol :lol :lol

tony_montana

« Reply #266 on: November 20, 2013, 09:18:43 AM »
 :lol

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #267 on: November 20, 2013, 09:44:39 AM »
Jay Clark on Twitter says that the Hawks won't take Garlett at 24
And you may not think I care for you