Author Topic: Dayle Garlett - Worth the Risk??  (Read 85941 times)

tony_montana

Re: Dayle Garlett - Worth the Risk?? / Richmond has spoken to him [update]
« Reply #285 on: November 20, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »
hawks have been in contact with him consistently throughout this season, they have done their due diligence. If they decide to pass on him that's good enough for me.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #286 on: November 20, 2013, 01:51:24 PM »
I woukd not be treating the people that selected Mitch thorp over Joel selwood as Gospel

tony_montana

« Reply #287 on: November 20, 2013, 02:04:16 PM »
I woukd not be treating the people that selected Mitch thorp over Joel selwood as Gospel

lol aye they aren't perfect, but I still place a fair bit of trust in their decision making processes - they are the most successful club of the past 40 years

the claw

« Reply #288 on: November 20, 2013, 08:58:31 PM »
so he missed one interview for what ever reason. i say what ever reason because no one knows why he missed it. maybe he just got the jitters or maybe he just didnt want to end up in adelaide, maybe he just got the dates wrong  who knows.

so he missed one interview and its cause to ignore all the hard work hes done in the last 12 months not just on the footy field but off it.
on field he could do no more, hes been great. his work ethic and willingness to do extra to improve himself has been enormous. his improvement in this area is highlighted by the vastly improved draft camp times and figures he produced. a lot of improvement came from a program he devised off his own bat in his own time. his willingness to train and work is surely not in question.

as for off field its been widely acknowledged hes settled down got a girlfriend given up on no hopers and while still having a beer doing it at the right time and place and with the right type of people.
there is little more he could do off field except maybe not miss that interview. but hey hes missed it so lets hang draw and quarter him for it. lets basically ignore everything else hes done.

i will say it again at pick 58 is his attiude a greater risk than say the lack of skills another kid will bring at that pick. ffs just look at our record with these types of picks so waht if he doesnt work out id say hes a better chance of making it than any kid we would take at a similar pick. hes certainly shown every inclination and desire to do what has to be done.
the risk reward factor says we really should be giving this kid a chance we would be taking no bigger chance on failure than we would if we took another kid here.
so one kid fails because he has too many deficiencies in his game the other failds because he might still have an attitude problem even though hes done most things to say otherwise.if both fail at that pick what have you lost. if both make it what do you gain.

its like the nay sayers with a edwards he got drunk when he should not have but was always a hard worker. buddy franklin would never ever have been drafted if people took note of the party boy he was the thing is buddy always was willing to work on his game and do the hard yrds garlett imo is no different. edwards and buddy had to learn when to party and nwhen not to id say garlett has shown hes learnt that harsh lesson.

Firstly the interview with Port Adelaide was to be in Perth, while the Power was there. He didn't need to travel anywhere.

Simple fact is he didn't show and he didn't have the courtesy to inform them he wasn't going to be there. Not the way to treat a prospective employer. Not a great reflection on his attitude.

You are correct no one knows why he didn't show because he refused today - again rightly or wrongly not a good look from someone who is seeking a 2nd chance

Secondly, I haven't disputed what he has done this year in the WAFL because it isn't in dispute. But for to suggest that clubs should not consider all his actions this year including missing that interview iand only look at the on filed isn't IMHO going to happen and nor should it.

Also, suggest you read my entire post have said so many times have no problem if we draft him, just didn't think anyone should ignore the fact it is a risk as all late picks
id suggest wp you read the entirety of both my posts you have replied to. selectively targeting only the bits that suit your argument doesnt wash with me.

we now know why he didnt ront he was sick yes he should have let port know he wasnt coming.
you dont dispute what hes done on field but it seems like your totally ignoring the 99% good  that hes done off field.

no where have i said clubs should ignore him missing that interview but they should also look at what hes done off field to improve himself. going by what his coach tells us hes been a model citizen a model player and one missed interview should not cancel that out.

most people dont even acknowledge just how well behaved hes been in aspects of his life off field. thats a shame. god knows what would happen to people like him if they actually did something wrong instead of acting like a teenager. all i can say those without fault cast the first stone.

finally all ive basically said in my last few posts is hes no more of a risk than any other kid at pick 58. the difference is we know hes got the talent to make it. our last pick is #56 ???  id have no hesitation in useing it on garlett. if he fails he fails the kid we take there is probably more likely to fail. risk reward wp. as ive stated garlett if you like is high risk but high reward if it works out. a kid at 58 is high risk and most likely low reward regardless.

its funny people ignore the comments of those most in the know his coaches. people ignore the massive amount of work and thus improvement hes put in for what ever reason. people ignore his exemplary behavior off field and latch onto one minor mistake as justification to send him to purgatory. why to drive their own agenda or opinion. at pick 56 there is little doubt hes worth taking the risk on. ffs we have the last live pick in the draft most people on here have been telling me those type of picks are worthless anyway. so whats to lose.

finally someone asked why freo and wce are not interested. its simple all of the disruptive influences this kid will encounter are in wa including some family. the best thing that can happen to garlett is getting away from those influences. there are some people who are sure he will thrive in an environment like melbourne. even with those disruptive influences hes shown an ability to work hard stay out of trouble and do the right thing.

anyway we all have our opinions ive made mine pretty clear i reckon sooner or later  this yr two yrs time this kid will be on a afl list. 

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #289 on: November 20, 2013, 09:53:11 PM »
id suggest wp you read the entirety of both my posts you have replied to. selectively targeting only the bits that suit your argument doesnt wash with me.

Feel exactly the same, hence why I suggested you re-read my entire post because you only seem to have taken on board the "negative" comments I made.

we now know why he didnt ront he was sick yes he should have let port know he wasnt coming.
you dont dispute what hes done on field but it seems like your totally ignoring the 99% good  that hes done off field.

no where have i said clubs should ignore him missing that interview but they should also look at what hes done off field to improve himself. going by what his coach tells us hes been a model citizen a model player and one missed interview should not cancel that out.

With respect, I haven't disputed what he has done off the field but the most important thing for him to do I would think is to show up for scheduled meetings or at least have courtesy to explain why? He didn't do that, he left to others that shouldn't be and cannot be ignored. It is actually inexcusable. And to simply say he was sick but then refuse to say what this "sickness" was again is not a good look. Raise more questions rightly or wrongly about his character and his commitment to wanting to be an AFL player

I would expect his actions regarding the Port "incident" will have far greater influence over the AFL community than all the spruiking his coaches do on his behalf. Clearly it already has seeing 4 clubs have already said they wont take him.

Read all the comments made by the TAC Cup side managers etc and you will find they talk up all their players. Garlett's coaches are no different and you would hope that would be the case 

most people dont even acknowledge just how well behaved hes been in aspects of his life off field. thats a shame. god knows what would happen to people like him if they actually did something wrong instead of acting like a teenager. all i can say those without fault cast the first stone.

When it's all said and done how do we really know how well behaved he has been or any other player in draft has been for that matter.

I have acknowledged that he has appeared to have gotten his life away from footy in order and good on him

My point has always been and TBH I don't know how many times I have to repeat it is that for people to suggest that taking this kid or any other kid looking for a 2nd chance after blowing their first chance isn't a risk is being naive

finally all ive basically said in my last few posts is hes no more of a risk than any other kid at pick 58. the difference is we know hes got the talent to make it. our last pick is #56 ???  id have no hesitation in useing it on garlett. if he fails he fails the kid we take there is probably more likely to fail. risk reward wp. as ive stated garlett if you like is high risk but high reward if it works out. a kid at 58 is high risk and most likely low reward regardless.

Claw again read what I have written not once but twice, I have no problem if we draft him, happy if we do and I will be the first to wish him every success and welcome to the RFC. But if we don't I am not going to jump up and down and say we've made a mistake. I will simply welcome to whoever we select and hope they succeed.

its funny people ignore the comments of those most in the know his coaches. people ignore the massive amount of work and thus improvement hes put in for what ever reason. people ignore his exemplary behavior off field and latch onto one minor mistake as justification to send him to purgatory. why to drive their own agenda or opinion. at pick 56 there is little doubt hes worth taking the risk on. ffs we have the last live pick in the draft most people on here have been telling me those type of picks are worthless anyway. so whats to lose.

Again re-read my posts in their entirety, I haven't sent the kid to purgatory. I have raised a concern about his actions regarding trying to get drafted, that was IMO a bad choice. I don't see how not being prepared to ignore it is wrong

I have said I have no problem if we draft. Don't think I can make it any clearer

But in relation to the bit I've highlighted. You've been "driving your agenda and opinion" on this and that's acceptable but because my opinion is the opposite to yours it is somehow not acceptable? Isn't having an opinion and discussing/debating what a forum like this is about? We don't have to all agree

anyway we all have our opinions ive made mine pretty clear i reckon sooner or later  this yr two yrs time this kid will be on a afl list.

Agree we all have opinions and we are all entitled to voice them without it being considered some sort of agenda

The one thing I don't agree with you is in "two years time". I believe if he doesn't get drafted this year then he wont in the future, I think this is most likely his final chance. Not saying it's right, wrong, fair or unfair just think that's the way it is 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

the claw

« Reply #290 on: November 20, 2013, 11:53:18 PM »
wp on the last on reflection you could be right.
theres no probs here mate and i do understand where your coming from. i think the part where your calling people naieve is getting up my goat a bit call it petty if you like.
i thinkl we all agree on  and know the risks i dont think anyone is being naieve.

also i dont believe we are actually that far apart on this but for sure and certain i think this kids situation way different to say troy taylor.
 i reckon hes more akin to franklin a bit of a lad and certainly in need of role models direction and boundarys.  given these things i think he has the right, how to put it??  mind set if you like to make it.
id like to see him given a chance if not at richmond at another club i reckon he will reward whoever takes him.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #291 on: November 21, 2013, 12:00:51 AM »
Lucky some of you guys weren't selectors for Australia in the 1940s and 1950s. Keith Miller would never have been selected for Australia and none of us would have seen one of the greatest  allrounders ever.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline cooper007

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #292 on: November 21, 2013, 10:11:18 AM »
probably wouldn't take a risk we have failed in probably our last couple of aboriginal players taylor, Roberts who had a bit of a wild side about them.

But  times have changed and maybe choco Williams could be the man to get garletts head right like anything in life its a gamble if it pays off then we will be saying what a recruit and if it fails we will all be jumping up and down saying why did we waste a pick on him...
In honesty he probably wont be around buy the time our 2nd pick comes up..

GO U TIGERS

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #293 on: November 21, 2013, 07:56:37 PM »
hawks have been in contact with him consistently throughout this season, they have done their due diligence. If they decide to pass on him that's good enough for me.
They didn't pass on him. We now know why he didn't bother turning up to those interviews .

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #294 on: November 21, 2013, 07:58:52 PM »
Bang hawks very smart footy club get him at 38

They will make a fool out of your comments Albert, in fact I think they already have
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #295 on: November 21, 2013, 08:03:54 PM »
He still has a lot to prove yet.

tony_montana

« Reply #296 on: November 21, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
yep they've taken a risk and pulled the trigger and why wouldn't you when you've just won your 2nd flag in 5-6 years?

gerkin greg

« Reply #297 on: November 21, 2013, 08:54:51 PM »
I think the Hawks were the side that passed over Pavlich 8 times

Learnt their lesson

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #298 on: November 21, 2013, 09:52:26 PM »
yep they've taken a risk and pulled the trigger and why wouldn't you when you've just won your 2nd flag in 5-6 years?

What's the risk? According to some experts on here picks after 30 are mostly duds

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #299 on: November 21, 2013, 09:55:45 PM »
Will force Riolol out of their best 22. lol
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH