Author Topic: Changes for next week's game against the Dogs?  (Read 2944 times)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Changes for next week's game against the Dogs?
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2013, 05:03:45 PM »
It takes time to get back into the swing of things. Astbury will be better for the run. Loved that effort going back with the flight

Agree. Can't expect him to adjust to the pace immediately. Needs time

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2013, 05:04:41 PM »
It's only the dogs, just leave it.
On astbury he was better when he came back after getting a hit, yes he looks a bit lost and that is why we should let him string a few together and see what happens. Going to nothing for confidence or consistency going back now.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2013, 07:52:54 PM »
The Barometer - Round 13
Herald-Sun
June 17, 2013

RICHMOND

ON THE BLOCK: Another even performance from the Tigers, with only a handful of players failing to earn a pass mark in the win against Adelaide. David Astbury was subbed off after being cleaned up by kamikaze teammate Steven Morris, but will be available. Matt White added some spark when he came on as Astbury's replacement but had just five kicks, while Aaron Edwards and Ty Vickery kicked one behind between them on a tough day for marking forwards.

ON THE CUSP: If Damien Hardwick wants to try a different combination up forward Luke McGuane is waiting for a call after kicking three goals in the VFL. Sam Lonergan picked up 27 disposals and 13 clearances and Mat Arnot had 27 disposals of his own in Coburg's loss to Collingwood. Development coach Mark Williams says he expects teenage beanpole Liam McBean to play senior footy this season.

AL PATON'S FORECAST: A spot in the eight is Richmond's to lose. Expect minimal changes for Saturday night's clash against the Bulldogs, who the Tigers have already beaten once this season (by 77 points in Round 3). After that games against St Kilda and North Melbourne offer a chance to take a stranglehold on a finals berth before the annual Cairns curse.

Oh how much better you feel waking up after a win #gotiges
    — Steve Morris (@stevemorris38) June 15, 2013

“@stevemorris38: Oh how much better you feel waking up after a win #gotiges” I'm glad you feel good mate. You made sure I don't!
    — David Astbury (@dastbury12) June 16, 2013

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/the-barometer-round-13/story-e6frf3e3-1226665199192#ixzz2WSvtjyxU

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2013, 09:17:04 PM »
At the moment it seems most positions are pretty settled, the only few I see are the following-
3rd tall forward and the 3rd tall back.

IMO Edwards did a good job on the weekend, he didn't hit the scoreboard but did well with his contesting and tackling. He leads up at the footy which is something we desperately need. But by no means has he made the position his. Other options are McGuane and McBean.

With the 3rd tall back, hopefully if we can get Gimmes back and fit, that's the 3rd tall backman taken care of. Other options are Batch, Astbury, Dea, and Griff. IMO Dea is the best there, not as tall as the others but can play taller, and is desperate, hard and has improved his decision making and disposal and gives us much more run than the other three.

The side at the moment still needs a little harder edge to it IMO. We need players that like to hunt and hurt the opposition. And the inclusion of Dea to the backline and Lonegan to the midfield/sub
really helps with that. Both are not people's favorites but when the games get harder I would back those two in to give their all.

Spots are finally hard to get, and thats where our improvement is coming from. Would really like to see McBean and Arnot at some stage but only when they truly deserve their opportunity.
Hold on boys I finally think we have turned the corner. If we can keep that pressure up we can match it with any side. Stil think we have heaps of improvement left in us.

the claw

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2013, 09:55:18 PM »
is there any option to the man who could not get a kick in a footy factory vickery.

whats that i hear no option,  sheesh i gotta ask are the cracks being papered over.

no decent  second ruckman with noone in the magoos.  no decent chf or 2nd kpf with no option in the magoos.  no decent small forward rance stinking it up still with no better replacement.
hacks like jackson white etc unable to be outed because there is none in the magoos doing anything.

would seriously like to see kids like astbury continue and others like mcbean elton arnott griffiths etc given games.

i have little doubt we are heading for a fall. we can only hope we dont lose 3 or 4 of our better mids  and big ivan and jack  stay healthy.

Gigantor

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2013, 10:05:01 PM »
has the world ended????

Rampstar

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2013, 10:11:08 PM »
Nah it ended on December 21 2012. did you miss the tidal waves and the earthquakes or something. You should pay more attention  ;D

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2013, 10:45:41 PM »
is there any option to the man who could not get a kick in a footy factory vickery.

whats that i hear no option,  sheesh i gotta ask are the cracks being papered over.

no decent  second ruckman with noone in the magoos.  no decent chf or 2nd kpf with no option in the magoos.  no decent small forward rance stinking it up still with no better replacement.
hacks like jackson white etc unable to be outed because there is none in the magoos doing anything.

would seriously like to see kids like astbury continue and others like mcbean elton arnott griffiths etc given games.

i have little doubt we are heading for a fall. we can only hope we dont lose 3 or 4 of our better mids  and big ivan and jack  stay healthy.
You say we have no decent second ruckman in the magoos yet you say you seriously want to see McBean and Elton get a go, you say we have no decent CHF  in the magoos yet you seriousely want to see Griff, Mebean, Elton and Astbury get a game, you say Rance is stinking it up with no decent replacement yet you seriously want to see Astbury and Griffiths in his position.
So what you are saying is we have no decent players for those positions in the magoos yet you want to see the players playing in the magoos come into the seniors.
That makes perfect sense!

the claw

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2013, 11:22:02 PM »

You say we have no decent second ruckman in the magoos yet you say you seriously want to see McBean and Elton get a go, you say we have no decent CHF  in the magoos yet you seriousely want to see Griff, Mebean, Elton and Astbury get a game, you say Rance is stinking it up with no decent replacement yet you seriously want to see Astbury and Griffiths in his position.
So what you are saying is we have no decent players for those positions in the magoos yet you want to see the players playing in the magoos come into the seniors.
That makes perfect sense!
its not hard to fathom for 3 yrs we gave kids games because it quickened development sooner or later we have to find players who perform we may as well get games into them just like we did in 2010 2011 2012.
its simple persevere with hacks in the seniors or develop a few more in the seniors instead..
besides it was a post on our depth and the need to develop more players even if it means gifting the odd one.

hmm give elton griffiths or mcbean a game up forward. instead of bringing back the hack mcguane or maybe dropping the statue vickery they would not be worse.  continue with astbury down back i dont agree with this one game in out for 10 bull dust. give him a decent crack at it.
havent said drop rance we cant we dont have an option just stating hes still crap and we must find better or at least look to find better.hence we play astbury and we at least have some height and structure down back.why are we asking mediums like dea and batchelor to play on genuinely tall players. sooner or later we have to address these things better its sooner.
just like last yr we look world beaters against crap sides but have failed miserably against those who look destined for finals. still back yard bullies with a long long way to go.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 12:21:20 PM »
Coburg coach, Tim Clarke's summary of how the Richmond-listed players performed at Coburg on the weekend:

Matt Arnot
Produced a really good performance through the midfield.  Lacked his usual efficiency with the ball, however impacted contests in trademark style.

Ben Darrou
Started well in defence on a quality opponent in Jackson Paine, before suffering a broken jaw. Will miss 4-6 weeks.

Tom Derickx
His ruckwork was very good, but we needed more involvement from him around the ground, with contested marks.

Todd Elton
Played his role in defence extremely well.  Kept the opposition’s resting rucks in check and went on to their key forwards when needed.

Ben Griffiths
His overall influence was much lower than the standard he’d set over the previous couple of games.

Brad Helbig
Played a good game through the midfield.  Provided the team with plenty of drive, but needs to be a bit cleaner with his ball use.  Pleasing to have him back in the side.

Sam Lonergan
Was very good through the midfield as well.  Won plenty of clearances and contested football.   One of our best players.

Matthew McDonough
Was used in a variety of roles throughout the match – up forward, down back and through the midfield – in an attempt to plug holes due to injury.  Was just okay by his standards.

Luke McGuane
Was lively as a key forward, kicking 3.3.  Showed good leadership in attack with our younger forwards.

Kamdyn McIntosh
After Ben Darrou was injured, went on to the dangerous Jackson Paine, and did a really good job on him defensively.   Is developing into a solid defender.

Robin Nahas
Played a very good game as a high forward and through the midfield.  Was clean with the ball and had four shots for goal, but couldn’t convert.

Brett O’Hanlon
Had a good game offensively, picking up 15 possessions.  Just lacked a bit of awareness that comes with more experience.  Still needs to get his contested possessions up.

Orren Stephenson
His ruckwork was very good, but he was a bit messy around the ground.  Took only a couple of marks.  Is certainly capable of having much more overall presence.

Steve Verrier
A really good offensive game, apart from a few skill errors.  Needs to improve his kicking.  Was okay defensively, but needs to improve his starting positions.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-06-18/coburg-report-round-10

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 05:55:45 PM »
RICHMOND - In the Mix

If Jake Batchelor can get up from the sore knee that kept out of Saturday's win over Adelaide, he is a like-for-like replacement for David Astbury, who suffered a head knock against the Crows and will be closely monitored throughout the week. Matt Dea (calf) will have a test while Ricky Petterd (calf) is moving closer to playing again. Luke McGuane kicked three goals in the VFL on the weekend and Sam Lonergan and Matt Arnot were solid contributors. - Jennifer Phelan

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-18/afls-in-the-mix-round-13

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 06:43:48 PM »
Watched Astbury really closely today to see if my opinion of him had changed. Nope, still the human statue.
Batch is 10 times the footballer and he is borderline. Come on Grimes, you are what we need.

We're you pie eyed by qtr time, he did very nicely thank you, moved like with grace and used the ball with surgeon like precision . For his first game back n 12 months, i was positively delighted :shh...he won't be going anywhere :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

the claw

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 07:45:46 PM »
RICHMOND - In the Mix

If Jake Batchelor can get up from the sore knee that kept out of Saturday's win over Adelaide, he is a like-for-like replacement for David Astbury, who suffered a head knock against the Crows and will be closely monitored throughout the week. Matt Dea (calf) will have a test while Ricky Petterd (calf) is moving closer to playing again. Luke McGuane kicked three goals in the VFL on the weekend and Sam Lonergan and Matt Arnot were solid contributors. - Jennifer Phelan

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-18/afls-in-the-mix-round-13
how the hell is a 188cm 87kg slow medium defender a like for like replacement for a 195cm 96kg kpp in astbury. imo batchelors size if hes to play tall pace and cleaness or touch are very questionable atm. seriously think matt dea should be playing for batchelor and a kid like mcintosh should be considered for a running role of hb.

would really like to see if possible and they earn it a back half of

morris - chaplin - grimes
mcintosh - astbury - dea.

imo thats the future just imagine if we had a player like frawley or merrett as one of the book ends.

the claw

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »
sad to see they are killing another tall forward in elton by playing him back. how many times and how many players will they do this too before they learn. ffs if they want key defenders bloody draft em.
what amazes me is mcbean whos doing well as a forward did extremely well as a defender yet refuse to play him there. i dunno there is just no logic to how they are going about finding talls.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2013, 08:07:01 PM »
a hypothetical for you claw.
you are making the decisions draft night.
the club needs a KPD.
In your rankings of KP players available, you have 4 or 5 blokes that play forward that you rate higher than the best backman.

Who do you draft?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI