Author Topic: Tigers probe Richardson finger gesture  (Read 2512 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tigers probe Richardson finger gesture
« on: May 31, 2004, 12:29:01 AM »
By Mark Duffield
realfooty.theage.com.au
May 31, 2004

The AFL has confirmed that Richmond full-forward Matthew Richardson faces a fine for an insulting gesture to West Coast fans as he left Subiaco Oval on Saturday.

Richardson, fined $2000 for a similar incident last season, will have to answer to Tigers officials and may face further action from the league if it is not satisfied with the way Richmond handles the incident.

Richardson, who took nine marks but kicked poorly for 2.4 in his team's 37-point loss to the Eagles, kissed his middle finger and blew the kiss to the crowd with his finger raised as he entered the players' race.

He and Eagles defender Darren Glass had already been booked for wrestling in the goal square in the first quarter.

Last year in round 16, Richardson gave a Collingwood fan the one-fingered salute after a 69-point loss to the Magpies at the MCG. It prompted a meeting with then AFL football operations manager Andrew Demetriou and a $2000 fine.

It was alleged the fan abused Richardson and spat on him as he went down the players' race.

AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said yesterday that AFL procedures on such incidents had changed, and it would be left to Richmond to decide a fitting punishment. The league would not intervene provided it was satisfied with the punishment handed down.

Richmond football director Greg Miller said he wasn't aware of the incident, but said players could not respond to spectators in that manner.

Asked if he believed West Coast supporters had homed in on the star forward, he said: "Possibly, but I am sure that West Coast would tell you that when they come to Melbourne their players cop similar treatment. I saw Wayne Carey cop it everywhere for a long time."

Richmond's clash with the Kangaroos next weekend spells crunch time for the club's season, according to coach Danny Frawley.

"We're 4-6. It's not ideal, but we're still not out of it yet," Frawley said. "We've got a huge game next week, a huge game for the club."

- West Australian

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/05/30/1085855439699.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tigers probe Richardson finger gesture
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 07:51:51 AM »
I didn't know that kissing the middle finger and blowing it in the air was considered a rude gesture.  Must be a new one.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 09:27:18 AM »
I would like the AFL to probe the Eagles supporter who abused me at Perth Station on Saturday >:(

I think they bought the game in disrepute.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 11:21:24 AM »
WP unfortunately perth people dont see it as just a game, it more about fuelling thier inferiority complex with the rest of Australia, but after living here for a number of years you get used to the morons.

Had a guy have a go at me aswell after the match, I just laughed and said "Tell me something new for a change mate, and enjoy your away game next weekend champion"!

As for Richo, you would think he would have learnt its not the thing to do after being constantly fined for previous similar incidents, you have to feel a bit for him though as soon as he kicks 1 point the crowd gives it to him...... life's tough when your better than most i guess.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.