Author Topic: Champ's loss not the end of Tigers: Wallace  (Read 2006 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Champ's loss not the end of Tigers: Wallace
« on: June 01, 2005, 04:23:41 AM »
Champ's loss not the end of Tigers: Wallace
By Melissa Ryan
The Age
June 1, 2005

Richmond must not succumb to "hysteria" surrounding Nathan Brown's shattered leg, Tigers coach Terry Wallace said yesterday as he urged fans not to give up on the team playing finals this year due to absence of the star player.

Wallace said the immediate challenge for himself, the team and the club to pick themselves up after Brown's devastating injury was "one of the great challenges that I've been involved in with a footy team".

With the fourth-placed Tigers to take on competition leader West Coast at the MCG on Saturday, Wallace said he had been careful to keep emotion out of his dealings with the players this week, and said their desire to finish in the top eight had not been dented by Brown's injury.

"It's an interesting challenge for our whole group and it's an interesting challenge for our footy club," Wallace said. "How do the fans handle it? Do they pack up shop and wait to see what happens before they come out to support us? We're playing against the No. 1 side in the competition on our own home ground. Do we pack the joint out with a united front?

"I've tried to keep away from the hysteria of the whole thing. I think the guys are strong enough within themselves.

"It was only a week and a half ago when Browny came out and spoke about backing his boys into the top four . . . and now he's sitting in a hospital bed with no opportunity to do so. That won't be lost on our guys. But to say are they going to go out and try any harder or do anything more or less than what they do for a normal game, I think that's a little bit insulting to them."

Wallace said he would keep faith in the structure of Richmond's game plan and seek Brown's goals from different sources. But he said it was "a tad ridiculous" for people to expect a quick fix, whether in the form of inexperienced teenager Brett Deledio or players such as Andrew Krakouer or Kayne Pettifer being expected to find "another 10 per cent" when they were already delivering all they could.

"If we get the ball inside 50 often enough, you'll find it's quite remarkable that someone steps up and kicks them if the delivery is good enough," Wallace said. "Someone always steps up and that's what we need to do. The reality is we haven't got a 66 (-goal) goalkicker within the footy club.

"What we've got to try and do is get those three goals a game out of the position. That might mean three people kicking one goal each in rotation out of that particular position. It won't be one person kicking 40 goals in the second half of the year to replace Nathan."

West Coast has lost 13 of its past 17 games at the MCG, and Wallace expected the premiership favourite would be seeking redemption after their shock loss to Collingwood.

"They were probably due for a loss, weren't they?" he said. ". . . They hadn't been beaten for the year and every side in the competition has had a down day - that was perhaps their down day.

"I don't think the Eagles are vulnerable anywhere. They have got a pretty fair track record just about everywhere."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/05/31/1117305618243.html?from=storyrhs

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Champ's loss not the end of Tigers: Wallace
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 04:25:13 AM »
Business as usual: Wallace
5:32:24 PM Tue 31 May, 2005
Jason Phelan
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace has put up the 'business as usual' sign at Punt Road as the club comes to terms with the loss of star forward Nathan Brown.

And while he hasn't played down the importance of Brown, Wallace said Richmond's style of play should be able to cope with his loss.

"We tried to put a formula together and a style of play together that wasn't individually driven by anyone… a style of play that we thought could be sustainable regardless of who played in the relative positions," Wallace said from Punt Road on Tuesday.

"If you structure it up right and the guys have got the right mindset then you can get around it, but in saying that, he's a fantastic player and he's going to be very, very sorely missed."

Wallace described as "nonsense" calls for gifted rookie Brett Deledio to be given Brown's goalkicking duties and said there was no one currently at the club capable of filling his shoes.

"The reality of it is we haven't got a 66-goal kicker within the realms of the footy club, there isn't someone we can get and replace Nathan in that position," he said.

"What we've got to try to do is get those three goals a game out of the position. That might mean three different people kicking one goal each in rotation … it won't be one person kicking 40 goals in the second half of the year to replace Nathan - that just won't happen."

"As I said to the guys, if we get the ball inside 50 often enough you'll find it quite remarkable that someone steps up and kicks them if the delivery and the precision of your work is good enough."

Wallace also disputed the notion that Brown's absence would have an adverse effect on the way his players went about their football for the rest of the season.

"I've already spoken to the group about do our backmen not pick up as well because of the fact that Nathan's not standing in the goalsquare at the other end?" he said.

"Does it stop Mark Coughlan and Shane Tuck getting first hands on the footy in the middle of the ground because Nathan's not in the goalsquare - I can't see how it should."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=206520

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 07:37:04 AM »
How many people will now jump off the Tiger's bandwagon now that Brown is out for the season.  Tony Shaw, for one, is now saying that the Tigers won't make the finals. :banghead

Offline tassie tiger

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 11:45:40 AM »
How many people will now jump off the Tiger's bandwagon now that Brown is out for the season.  Tony Shaw, for one, is now saying that the Tigers won't make the finals. :banghead

At their own risk!  Not like Tiger of old (well recent old anyhow), we ARE strong and we ARE bold and Wallace just wont allow that to happen.  I have every faith.    Years ago when the Tiges we backed into a corner it meant look out!  Lets bring some of that back I reckon as show these buggars what we are made of. Perfect opportunity.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 07:01:31 PM »

Geez it's such a brave call to jump off us since there's a 50% chance they'll be right  ::). I'm sure they'll boast about being right if it happened yet won't say a word about being wrong if it doesn't. As for wooden spoon coach Tony Shaw he has as much cred as Spud.

5 more wins will get us there as this season is very even. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 07:31:26 PM »

4 more shoukld scrape us in i reckon , 5 to be sure!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 10:29:42 PM »

4 more shoukld scrape us in i reckon , 5 to be sure!

Our percentage might not hold up if we only reach 11 wins. It's only 106 now and we're 7-3.

No side has missed the finals with 13 wins. Twice a side has missed the finals with 12 wins and that was us in 94 and 98 by % :scream.

Our draw is fairly even. We play 6 of the current top 8 sides and 6 of the current bottom 8 teams. It's the latter we need to make sure we knock off.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 08:43:28 AM »
Once we get to 13 wins I'll say we are in.

With 12 I'll say we are almost there.

11 is not going to get us in.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 04:29:08 PM »
No side has missed the finals with 13 wins. Twice a side has missed the finals with 12 wins and that was us in 94 and 98 by % :scream.

Someone pass me a gun.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne