Author Topic: Leadership - From the Australian 31/5/04  (Read 4539 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Leadership - From the Australian 31/5/04
« on: May 31, 2004, 09:01:32 AM »
On and off paddock Tigers' leadership is under threat

May 31, 2004
LEIGHTON WOOD may be appointed by the Richmond board as the club's new chief executive tomorrow night but there is no certainty that he will serve the directors – what's left of them.

The chatter in the football community is lively and loud. Plots are plentiful and all of them thickening. Past board members are involved in putting together both a ticket to run the club and a new football department. Favourite son Kevin Bartlett has been approached but has declined to become involved.

A leading businessman has become the point guard for the new challenge. It is believed an AFL commissioner has been briefed of the concern the challengers hold for the future of the club under Clinton Casey's miniature administration.

And it is now clear that former chief executive Ian Campbell was at odds with the football department under coach Danny Frawley and football manager Greg Hutchison. The mutual decision for Campbell to leave the club last week was not wholly about the club finances.

A club source said the positions of Frawley and Hutchison were under urgent review by Campbell at the same time the club retrenched eight employees in the marketing department.

The appointment of Wood should cause concern, too. He may well be the most appropriate person but the appointment process is being done at a speed that suggests other contenders have not been given due consideration.

At least the club has sounded out leading officials from other clubs to see if they have any interest in the position.

Wood is being heavily endorsed by the AFL. So was Campbell. Such was the strength of AFL approval that the club did not meet Campbell face-to-face before signing him. Interviews were done by video hook-ups between Australia and the US.

The AFL is not afraid to meddle. Melbourne Football Club sources confirm Rob Flower was urged to help mount the challenge to Joseph Gutnick. It ended with the election of Gabriel Szondy and his board. Szondy has gone and so has Melbourne's financial position. Under new chairman Paul Gardner, the club is seeking as much as $2million from the AFL's competitive balance fund. Which proves AFL input into club politics and appointments guarantees nothing.

This weekend's football has proved that Richmond remain uncompetitive. They failed hopelessly against West Coast, a side beaten by 17 goals the week before. Richmond's record on the road is shameful. When asked to travel they lose their way every time. It can be no excuse because West Coast, Adelaide and Brisbane have travelled every other week and won seven premierships.

While much must change at Richmond at board and administrative level, the football team needs to be heavily reviewed. Frawley said after Saturday's loss to West Coast that the effort of the team was satisfactory but that the players' decision-making and skill levels were unacceptable.

This is Frawley's fifth year at Richmond. That is ample time for a coaching panel to bring the playing group's basic skill levels to AFL standard. Don't forget this is a team Frawley said was being primed to win a premiership by now. The team has won just 18 of their past 54 matches – a 33 per cent strike rate. Worse, they have won five of their past 24.

The club needs to change its captain. Wayne Campbell is an adequate player. He has won four best and fairest awards at Richmond – one when the club finished fourth under John Northey, three when the Tigers finished 12th, 13th and 14th.

If leadership is lacking off the field, it is non-existent on it. Campbell the skipper has no presence. He plays a style of game that does not inspire. It is one of hurried kicks and harried handballs. He does not run lines and so cannot oversee the Tigers' game plan. On Saturday he had 17 touches, a sprinkling were effective, and was badly beaten by West Coast journeyman Callum Chambers, who kicked three goals and was awarded votes by some commentators.

Compare his work to Ben Cousins. The West Coast skipper had 24 touches and his delivery was always measured and purposeful, never approaching the frenetic disposal style of his counterpart. Not once did Campbell perform an act that would have caused his team-mates' hearts to beat a little harder.

Worse, he is delusional. At the start of the season he said Richmond were a top-four side. He looks glum on the field but clearly he has a sharp sense of the ridiculous.

Change of leadership is threatened off the field. It must be made on the field.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9699035%255E12270,00.html
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 09:06:44 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Leadership - From the Australian 31/5/04
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 10:26:22 AM »
And it is now clear that former chief executive Ian Campbell was at odds with the football department under coach Danny Frawley and football manager Greg Hutchison. The mutual decision for Campbell to leave the club last week was not wholly about the club finances.

A club source said the positions of Frawley and Hutchison were under urgent review by Campbell at the same time the club retrenched eight employees in the marketing department.

Interesting.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 11:14:54 AM »
looks like there more to Richmond than Casey has led us to believe yet again.

i personally liked the criticism of frawley and campbell, the truth hurts.

Time to go.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 04:53:16 PM »
The AFL is not afraid to meddle. Melbourne Football Club sources confirm Rob Flower was urged to help mount the challenge to Joseph Gutnick. It ended with the election of Gabriel Szondy and his board. Szondy has gone and so has Melbourne's financial position. Under new chairman Paul Gardner, the club is seeking as much as $2million from the AFL's competitive balance fund. Which proves AFL input into club politics and appointments guarantees nothing.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9699035%255E12270,00.html

It is well documented that to get funding from the competitive balance funds you have to follow some fairly stringent guidlelines.

But the above statement really makes you wonder if there are some other "unofficial" guidelines that clubs are expected to follow to get the money.

??? :-\ ???

While I understand that full responsibility for Ian Campbell's appointment rest with the RFC - why does the AFL continue to push "their" people forward. I think an arguement can be raised that the AFL preferred options are not the best ones.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 04:57:03 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 05:32:42 PM »
While I understand that full responsibility for Ian Campbell's appointment rest with the RFC - why does the AFL continue to push "their" people forward. I think an arguement can be raised that the AFL preferred options are not the best ones.

You only have to look back to round 9 when the umpires were instructed by the AFL to wear yellow shirts for the Swans vs Hawthorn game to realise that they don’t always know what they’re on about WP. ;D  What an inspired choice that was.  ??? :-\ ::)

The AFL’s inability to mind its own business is worrying.  They interfere in Club matters that should have absolutely nothing to do with them.  At times, I wonder why Clubs have their own administration at all.

To me, these administrations purely exist as the money-spinning arm of the AFL, because it seems to be getting to the point where Clubs don’t actually get to make decisions for themselves and in their own interests any more, they just wait for the AFL to make up their minds for them.

The AFL says jump and Clubs ask “how high”?  More power to those Clubs who don’t conform to the AFL’s ways and dare to maintain their own identity, instead of being dictated to by interfering busy bodies.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 06:06:17 PM »
The AFL says jump and Clubs ask “how high”?  More power to those Clubs who don’t conform to the AFL’s ways and dare to maintain their own identity, instead of being dictated to by interfering busy bodies.

While I agree I don't like how now the AFL can have so much influence over Club matters when it's really none of their business, the problem with giving more power to the Clubs is that if you give the Clubs too much power then you get back to the mid-80s scenario of the Clubs putting their own individual interests ahead of the League which almost sent the VFL backrupt and many Clubs including the RFC under.

I'm more concerned that it appears the people supposedly in charge of our Club's decision-making can't make their own decisions and instead need the AFL for guideness on who Richmond should employ. Like you say TS what's the point then of them being in charge ???. You don't see Eddie at Collingwood or Essendon doing this.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 10:45:27 AM »
While I agree I don't like how now the AFL can have so much influence over Club matters when it's really none of their business, the problem with giving more power to the Clubs is that if you give the Clubs too much power then you get back to the mid-80s scenario of the Clubs putting their own individual interests ahead of the League which almost sent the VFL backrupt and many Clubs including the RFC under.

I realise that the reason the AFL was formed in the first place was to stop Clubs from eating themselves and each other out of existence, otherwise we probably wouldn’t be here today.

But I doubt that the intention was for them to take over the day to day running of Clubs.  I can understand that they would monitor the financial side of Clubs and ensure that they are properly run and administered, but when they start interfering to the point where an administration almost becomes redundant then that’s another matter.

There need to be clear boundaries set of when the AFL has a right to meddle and when it shouldn’t, because there was a time when Clubs used to be noticeably different and unique, but if the AFL continues to meddle where it doesn’t need to then they will eventually erode any power/authority that Clubs have left.

The major downside to this is that Clubs will be seen to be run from one main body and therefore risk losing their identity.  As long as Clubs are self-administered then they get to retain their own personality, culture and traditions, but if a single body takes away their authority then we can kiss goodbye our Clubs as we know them.

And if you think the competition is sanitised now, it’s nothing compared to what could happen if the AFL don’t learn to mind their own business.