Author Topic: Richmond: The Lost Years.  (Read 2827 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Richmond: The Lost Years.
« on: July 20, 2013, 04:54:33 PM »
Just saw advertisement on Fox Footy,
The Mike Sheahan dodo Richmond: The Lost Years will premiere next Sunday July 28.
Didn't say what time but I would think at 8:30 pm.

Rampstar

Re: Richmond: The Lost Years.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »
yeah looking forward to seeing how we went from being a sporting superpower to being shizen  :'(

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 07:47:14 PM »
yeah looking forward to seeing how we went from being a sporting superpower to being shizen  :'(

:lol
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 08:11:28 PM »
Seen it once already  :P so don't plan to watch a replay of it.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 10:33:49 AM »
Seen it once already  :P so don't plan to watch a replay of it.

:yep

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 10:54:41 AM »
I'm actually going to watch it, if only to hear some of the crappy excuses certain people will come up with regarding the mess they left behind (eg Caro's old man)  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »
Is Richard Lounder co hosting it
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Tigger

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 02:07:29 PM »

Nope - A Banik is.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »

Nope - A Banik is.

Nope Shane Fell is

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Former Richmond figures reveal how 'obsession' sent Tigers broke (H-Sun)
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 02:36:43 PM »
Former Richmond figures reveal how 'obsession' with John Pitura in 1970s sent Tigers broke

By Al Paton
    Herald Sun
    July 26, 2013

A 1975 transfer fee of almost $300,000 in today's money cost Richmond 30 years in the footy wilderness.

The fee, paid by the Tigers for South Melbourne defender John Pitura, sparked player disharmony and a destructive trade war that almost sent the club to extinction.

The revelations are made in the Fox Footy documentary Richmond: The Lost Years.

Former president Ian Wilson said the Pitura trade was "the biggest mistake in my time at Richmond" and admitted the Tigers powerbrokers, including board heavyweight Graham Richmond, became "obsessed" with getting Pitura to Punt Rd.

After threatening to take the league to court, Pitura was eventually cleared in 1975.

Wilson revealed the transfer fee was $40,000 - the equivalent of $292,000 today. The deal also cost the Tigers three players - popular clubman Brian Roberts, Graham Teasdale and Francis Jackson.

Pitura played 40 games for Richmond while Teasdale went on to win a Brownlow Medal for the Swans.

"It was a big mistake and I could see that a week after we let them go," former coach Tom Hafey said.

Wilson shook his head when revealing the transfer fee.

"Don't even talk to me about it, not many people know that. It was $40,000 and the three players... don't even go any further."

It was the first bad deal of many that would rip the heart out of the club for the next three decades.

Although the Tigers won their 10th premiership in 1980, the seeds of discontent had been sewn and disaster struck when star centreman Geoff Raines left at the end of 1982 - also over money.

Raines tells Mike Sheahan in the documentary that he was upset he was being offered less than half the pay of star Western Australian recruit Maurice Rioli, who also took Raines' position.

"Centre was my position, I had won three B&Fs and a runner-up. (Rioli) was a fantastic player and a really nice guy so I've got nothing against Maurice, but it was the way the club handled it ... I felt I wasn't getting as rewarded as Maurice was at the time so I thought that was pretty unjust."

Raines quit and joined Collingwood along with teammate David Cloke, who had pleaded to the board on behalf of premiership players who felt they were being taken for granted, training in sub-standard facilities as the club splashed out on high-profile recruits.

At the same time, Richmond cleared former captain Bryan Wood to Essendon.

The Tigers, who sacked premiership coach Tony Jewell at the end of 1981 and appointed favourite son Francis Bourke, then went on a self-destructive spending spree trying to get even.

"You could go back to when we lost Cloke, Raines and Wood," Jewell said.

"That was the demise of the playing side. Then we went broke because we attacked Collingwood to try to get even.

"When I came back (in 1986), we just had nothing, the list was terrible and we had no money."

Former coach and president Barry Richardson said Graham Richmond had a personal vendetta against Collingwood.

"We speak with Graham Richmond with great love and respect but there was also a period when it all became out of control."

The Tigers sacked six coaches in the next nine years and by the time club great Kevin Bartlett was in charge in the late 1980s, the club was so poor it couldn't afford a single dedicated recruiter.

In the first national draft in 1986, four of Richmond's five picks never played a senior game. The Tigers used the No.1 pick in 1987 on South Australian ruckman Richard Lounder, who returned home after four senior appearances.

"Looking back I'd say I had no chance whatsoever," Bartlett said.

"Richmond really in that period got left a long, long way behind."

Robert Walls, appointed coach in 1996 and sacked the next year, said he walked into a club stuck in the past - with a mentality and facilities to match.

"I think Leon (Daphne, Tigers president) was pressured by sponsors to sack me.

"There was five games to go in the season, what was the point of doing it? But people thought that we've got to be seen to be doing things, seen to be ruthless, because that was the Richmond tradition."

Walls said a stable administration, improved facilities and strong recruiting gave coach Damien Hardwick a chance to rewrite Richmond's modern history.

"They can play finals and, if things fall their way over the next few years, they could play in a Grand Final, that's not beyond them," Walls said.

Bartlett agreed: "Richmond Football Club at this time has the best chance to have success, and continued success, since 1980."

Richmond: The Lost Years screens on Fox Footy at 8.30pm Sunday

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/former-richmond-figures-reveal-how-obsession-with-john-pitura-in-1970s-sent-tigers-broke/story-e6frf3e3-1226686182797#ixzz2a7fhfvwa

TigerTimeII

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 08:15:23 AM »
this doco will be so depressing.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »
this doco will be so depressing.
and for that reason I will not be watching it

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 09:34:33 AM »
Don't need to see it, I stuffing lived it. Will watch though

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 10:17:51 AM »
We were the biggest club in the land and those morons stuffed us up. We were bigger than Collingwood and Essedon and now we are only bigger than Carlton.

Thanks for nothing dudes.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 10:38:43 AM »
Don't need to see it, I stuffing lived it. Will watch though

Spot on, leave for our kids to watch - they can look on in disbelief in 20 years time when contemplating how many more than the 15 flags we could've had.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.