Author Topic: WANTED: Midfielders who can kick properly  (Read 2022 times)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
WANTED: Midfielders who can kick properly
« on: June 04, 2005, 06:14:25 PM »
Do we have a midfielder other than Deledio who can kick properly?

The major difference between us and West Coast today was their class in the midfield and our lack of it. We didn't do that bad in terms of clearances, but we couldn't hit a target in the forward line coming out of the centre to save our lives.

Blokes like Coughlan and Tuck are great, they go in real hard, they give it their all, but their kicking isn't really up to scratch.

Then you have blokes like  Hyde  :help, Chaffey  :help :help Tivendale  :help :help :help who always do crap passes to our forwards.

And for two of the classier players in the team, Kane Johnson and Joel Bowden, they both let us down with their disposal more frequently than they should.

:banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

PuntRdRoar

Re: WANTED: Midfielders who can kick properly
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 07:14:40 PM »
spot on...but we need to continue to add to midfield strength ... i would like to see us go for 1 more inside midfielder...Ryley Dunn at Freo isnt a happy camper and at 19yo would be perfect- that would give us another in and under, hopefully we can pick up someone like Brennan Mills i think his name is from the WAFL in the draft hopefully at about R2 of the National Draft. Hopefully someone like Josh Kennedy from East Freo will be around for our 1st pick. Look for Matthew Long at No 3 from our local TAC Cup competition. Matt is another Midfielder at about 180-182cm and maybe Wade Mills from Queensland around pick 4...Mills is a big CHB-FB type. Kym Monteath at R5 if we dont take him F/S.

So at this early stage of proceedings my wanted draft outcome is

1. Josh Kennedy- East Fremantle CHF/FF
2. Brennan Mills- Claremont Midfielder
3. Matthew Long- Calder Cannons- Midfielder
4. Wade Mills- Queensland League- CHB/FB
5. Kym Monteath- East Fremantle- Half Forward

Add a couple of AFL listed players like Ryley Dunn- another inside type midfielder and an aggressive prick like Cameron Mooney...which i know will shock 1 or 2 people and the team will be alot better

Any of you insiders have any more info on my preferred draft choices this season! :P
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 07:55:05 PM by RampagingTiger »

Bulluss

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 07:23:26 PM »
Spot on John.

Our continual turnovers cost us.

The positive is that anyone who doesnt have a positive side to them, i.e Tivendale, Chaffey wont last

Guys like Tuck and Cogs are ok, but you cant carry passengers like Tiv and Chaff if they dont provide something to the team.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 05:47:32 PM »
wallace needs to take a stance and send a couple back to coburg!

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 06:44:06 PM »
Tivendale was one of the main offenders.

His kicking to leads was pitiful.

He is the master of the worm burner. :banghead

letsgetiton!

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 01:02:41 PM »
its 11 weeks in now, and its time to say enough is enough, tivendale should be dropped for the rest of the yr til delisted to make way for young kids who can hit targets

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 01:38:22 PM »
IMHO part of the problem with Tivendale is his short kicks.

There's a rule for Richo not play on in the forward 50.

The 2 rules for Tivs should be:

1/ do not under any circumstances kick the ball less that 45 metres - it's those 20-30 metre kicks that are the problem.

2/ If you are between 55-50 metres out have a shot at goal don't go passing because he is more liley to kick a goal than hit the target :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 02:03:53 PM »
That is a great suggestion WP, I've never actually thought about it but you are right its his short kicking that is woeful.

The problem is that there is not always a target 50-60 metres away..... so if Tiv's short kicking (as well as his poor decision making, squibbing contests etc) doesn't improve soon........ He will find himself somewhere else next season.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 03:59:50 PM »
That is a great suggestion WP, I've never actually thought about it but you are right its his short kicking that is woeful.

The problem is that there is not always a target 50-60 metres away..... so if Tiv's short kicking (as well as his poor decision making, squibbing contests etc) doesn't improve soon........ He will find himself somewhere else next season.

forget next season, he should be at coburg 4 the rest of this season1 i see gilmore is no longer on the injury list! i say play him and drop chipendale

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 04:18:34 PM »
IMHO part of the problem with Tivendale is his short kicks.

The 2 rules for Tivs should be:

1/ do not under any circumstances kick the ball less that 45 metres - it's those 20-30 metre kicks that are the problem.

2/ If you are between 55-50 metres out have a shot at goal don't go passing because he is more liley to kick a goal than hit the target :thumbsup

Spot on WP.

Mind you a footballer won't get very far in a good side if he can't hit targets with 20-30m passes. I still can't get over him running through the middle in space and he decided to pass with his non-dominant right foot  ???. No surprise that the kick was a grubber.

As for dropping Tivs that would lower his trade value lol.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 05:38:56 PM »
Mind you a footballer won't get very far in a good side if he can't hit targets with 20-30m passes. I still can't get over him running through the middle in space and he decided to pass with his non-dominant right foot  ???. No surprise that the kick was a grubber.

I cannot for the life of me understand that one.
It was not like he was unbalanced or under amy pressure to kick the ball.
Perhaps he thought i'm going ok here I think I might try my right foot for the first time this season
[quote
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 05:41:23 PM by Mopsy »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 05:47:23 PM »

I cannot for the life of me understand that one.
It was not like he was unbalanced or under amy pressure to kick the ball.
Perhaps he thought i'm going ok here I think I might try my right foot for the first time this season

Yeah you're right there Mopsy. Probably Tivs thought here's my chance to prove all the doubters that I can kick with my right foot but then just proved to all he can't  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 07:24:21 PM »
Yes MT He certainly did that alright :lol

letsgetiton!

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 07:51:35 PM »
spot on...but we need to continue to add to midfield strength ... i would like to see us go for 1 more inside midfielder...

we have foley and polo who we have picked up as inside midfielders, they are still young and need time to develop and they will, as for classier onballers who can hit targets, raines and gilmore can, so why are they not given more a chance than they are, and btw, hydes kicks b4 his concussion were excellent, once his confidence comes back watch him hit richo lace out !!!!

tivendale , for the sake of the club, quit!

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 10:14:33 AM »
Do we have a midfielder other than Deledio who can kick properly?

The major difference between us and West Coast today was their class in the midfield and our lack of it. We didn't do that bad in terms of clearances, but we couldn't hit a target in the forward line coming out of the centre to save our lives.

There’s no doubt that unless our kicking and decision making improves we won’t be able to match it with the better teams.  I recently heard that, at the start of the season, TW added an extra weekly skills session, focused on kicking.  I doubt it’s something that can be turned around in the short term, but at least we seem to be doing something about it.  With each improved effort, players’ confidence will lift, so that should make some sort of difference to decision making and hopefully kicking as well.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.