Author Topic: Tiger Army: Richmond is Roaring (The Marshall Town)  (Read 2234 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger Army: Richmond is Roaring (The Marshall Town)
« on: July 24, 2013, 11:33:31 AM »
Tiger Army: Richmond is Roaring
By Jackson Clark AFL
The Marshall Town
July 24, 2013

The Tiger Army is roaring and for good reason – the Richmond Football Club is sitting with a win-loss record of 11-5 as we enter the latter end of the season. The finals-starved football club can sense September within its reach for what would be the first time in over a decade and only the third time in 30 years.

A number of players are having career best seasons at Tigerland. Daniel Jackson is having a career best season and along with Brett Deledio would be close to leading the best and fairest at this stage of the year. Dustin Martin is finishing out games and looks to have matured as a footballer under the guidance of former Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams. Shane Edwards has been playing through the midfield more this season and along with the return of Nathan Foley, the Tigers’ midfield depth has been bolstered. Brandon Ellis has come on in leaps and bounds this season while Alex Rance and Troy Chaplin have kept the Tiger backline stable despite the absence of young gun Dylan Grimes.

The form of newly appointed captain Trent Cotchin has been one of the talking points this season. The reigning Jack Dyer medalist started the season with terrific performances in the opening three wins against Carlton, St Kilda and Western Bulldogs. However he appeared to be struggling with a knee injury he sustained in the Tigers’ one-point loss to Fremantle in Round 5. His statistics have been down on last season’s form, which saw him emerge as one of the best young players in the competition and rank equal second in the Brownlow.

Richmond will be hoping for their star player to recapture his 2012 form sometime between now and September and early indications from the Fremantle game on the weekend suggest that he will not disappoint Tigers fans.

Although the Tigers are almost considered certainties to make the finals by most betting agencies, it is not a forgone conclusion. The side’s last couple of games has been less than impressive with a big loss against North Melbourne followed by a narrow win over bogey side Gold Coast.

The win over a severely undermanned Fremantle outfit on the weekend showed signs of the football that the Tigers can produce however the major test will be the next two weeks. Sydney and Hawthorn await the Tigers – the two side’s that faced off in last year’s grand final.

Richmond has an interesting last month of football as they will go in as favourites against Brisbane and Greater Western Sydney, but have important matches against Carlton and Essendon.

In what is a competitive season, it is looking as though 13 wins will be the benchmark in order to qualify for the finals. Time and time again, frustrated Richmond supporters have been let down by false hope from their club. However there is a different feel to the Tigers this year. As long as the team wins the games they should win, the Tigers should experience finals football in 2013. And one thing is for sure, their fans will sure let everyone know about it.

http://www.themarshalltown.com/zine/2013/07/24/tiger-army-richmond-is-roaring/

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tiger Army: Richmond is Roaring (The Marshall Town)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 12:40:22 PM »
I think the greatest thing about this season is the evenness of the teams performance. Over the last couple of years when we won it was one the back of outstanding individual performances by Jack, Dusty, Cotch, Lids or the like. This year it has become increasingly difficult to pick a standout player. I believe this is wonderful sign.

We are so much more unpredictable now days and far more difficult to shut down. Tag Lids out of the game - there are others that will stand up and fill his role. Blanket Jack in the forwardline - he will push up the ground allowing more space for our midfielders and other forwards to work into. Put extra players back in defence - throw Dusty, Cotch or Lids forward and make them accountable and increase our forward pressure when the ball hits the ground.

For years the responsibility of the side was left to too few but with the list maturing, young talent improving and our overall depth increasing with clever free agency recruitment - we have come a long way.

So when I see people bemoaning Lids, Jacks or Cotch's reduced output this year yet we're still winning - I am happy because it means we are now a finals team:gotigers

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 01:41:53 PM »
I am happy because it means we are now a finals team:gotigers

Don't mean to be a smart you know whatski

But sorry Stripes but I cannot agree with your assertion that "we are now a finals team"

We haven't made finals yet, we are close but we are still not guaranteed a spot so until we have that guarantee and locked in enough wins....and I've always said it needs to be 13 wins... well.......

We are getting closer to being a finals team  ;D 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 06:48:01 PM »
Would love to beat Sydney. I reckon we can do it and open up our top 4 chances

TigerTimeII

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 07:42:04 PM »

But sorry Stripes but I cannot agree with your assertion that "we are now a finals team"

We haven't made finals yet, we are close but we are still not guaranteed a spot so until we have that guarantee and locked in enough wins....and I've always said it needs to be 13 wins... well.......

if we dont make finals now we know who jinxed us lol

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 08:08:52 PM »

if we dont make finals now we know who jinxed us lol

Maybe WAT  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »

I disagree WP. I say we are a finals team now and we will prove it to skeptics like yourself very soon when it becomes a mathematical certainty. It would take a minor disaster now and unless you get your kicks out of arguing semantics I'm sure you'll agree we are playing like a finals team now.  ;D

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 08:42:41 PM »
I'm sure you'll agree we are playing like a finals team now.  ;D

Let's be honest it depends on the week  :thumbsup

Last week against Freo, yep, week before against the Suns, nope and the week before that against N0rt, definitely not

And no I don't like arguing semantics so no I don't get my kicks out of it.

i'm just a realist rather than a sceptic  ;D

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 10:35:44 PM »
I've always said it needs to be 13 wins... well.......

12 will be enough this year.

Adelaide, Bris, West Coast would need to go 6-0 to reach 13, NOT HAPPENING.

So that leaves 9 teams that can make it to 13.

Carlton are currently 8-8. So they need to go 5-1.
Port Adelaide are currently 9-7. So they need to go 4-2.

And they play each other in the last round.

Port also have Freo away, Geelong away and a showdown with Adelaide.

Find it hard to imagine how the team that finishes 9th will end up with 13 wins. 12 with decent % will be fine.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 07:06:53 AM »
Find it hard to imagine how the team that finishes 9th will end up with 13 wins. 12 with decent % will be fine.

Damo, your final comment is the reason why I say 13 is the magic number.

I don't want % to come into it. 12 wins means that % ends up playing a part; so directly or indirectly you are relying on others. Teams with softer draws (eg those who've played GWS twice) get a free hit % wise

IMV 13 wins means that % doesn't come into it, you've got there without relying on others around you

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 09:59:09 AM »
I'm sure you'll agree we are playing like a finals team now.  ;D

Let's be honest it depends on the week  :thumbsup

Last week against Freo, yep, week before against the Suns, nope and the week before that against N0rt, definitely not

And no I don't like arguing semantics so no I don't get my kicks out of it.

i'm just a realist rather than a sceptic  ;D

So using that theory, going on last weeks performances, Geelong and Collingwood are not finals teams.

My point was that we are now a team, with the depth and talent, that is now more than strong enough to have earned out current place on the ladder and probable position in the final series. We could never have claimed that in the recent past. All teams have on and off weeks but if you can win ugly when you are not performing at your best - you are a good side.

I'm excited about our team this year and I feel I'm being a realist when I say we will have our first probable finals stint in 2013 in more than a decade of pain.

Let's enjoy the ride rather than prepare ourselves for any improbably accident.  :dogdance

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 10:30:41 AM »
So using that theory, going on last weeks performances, Geelong and Collingwood are not finals teams.

No, massive difference they are proven finals teams. Why? Because they've have been and in Geelong's case in 2013  continue to be consistently in the finals, year after year. We are not in a postion to make such a claim. But gee I am looking forward to when we are.

I ask you this based on your theory are N0rt Melbourne a "finals team" or how about Adelaide? Both played finals last year but are unlikely to make it this year. So how do we classify them?

We haven't been in the finals for 12 years, and as it stands right at the moment based solely on wins & losses we are not guaranteed finals this season so I just cannot say we are a "finals team"

And when we do make the finals IMV we will still wont be a "finals team" rather we will be a team in the finals. Call it semantics if you like  :thumbsup it's just how I see it

My point was that we are now a team, with the depth and talent, that is now more than strong enough to have earned out current place on the ladder and probable position in the final series.

Exactly my point stripes, we are currently a "probable" rather than a definite

I'm excited about our team this year and I feel I'm being a realist when I say we will have our first probable finals stint in 2013 in more than a decade of pain.

I am exicted too even it is laced with trepidation. I think we have improved markedly in alot of areas in 2013 and that is no doubt exciting but I still think we are a fair way off the best 3 in the competition (though that could change over the next 2 weeks).

Let's enjoy the ride rather than prepare ourselves for any improbably accident.  :dogdance

Have been enjoying the ride and will conitue to do so but also have the airbags ready just in case  :thumbsup

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
So Geolong and Collingwood are proven finals contenders so therefore we forget their erratic preformances this year but remember ours?! I believe, right at this moment, we are 3 games clear in the eight and earned our position through as consistent of performance as any of the other teams in there atm. We are as much a 'finals team' this year, as we speak, as any other team based on our win/loss ratio and performance against the rest of the competition.

You can argue that you won't be counting your chicken just yet until it is a certainty but I believe we have proven we are now a team that not only deserves to be playing finals but has proven it.

You say that even when we make the finals we won't be a finals team in yours eyes. Well when will we be?  When Cotch is holding the cup? I say celebrate the moment because, hell, life is a roller coaster and if you are always preparing for the worst you'll never enjoy the best.

We are a final team. Now we just have to get that last game to prove it to those scarred Tigers supporters refusing to let themselves possible get hurt again. Believe WP, Believe  :thumbsup

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 11:27:43 AM »
I can't see any other scenario where Richmond doesn't play finals in 2013

I see a finals showdown with Collingwood in our immediate future...

However before you put the champagne on ice it is worth noting Essendon were 11-5 last year and missed out .
Unleash the tornado

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 11:59:10 AM »
So Geolong and Collingwood are proven finals contenders so therefore we forget their erratic preformances this year but remember ours?! I believe, right at this moment, we are 3 games clear in the eight and earned our position through as consistent of performance as any of the other teams in there atm. We are as much a 'finals team' this year, as we speak, as any other team based on our win/loss ratio and performance against the rest of the competition.

I reckon teams that have consistently made finals, stood up in the crunch games consistently over a period of time get excused rightly for the odd poor performance. I am not disputing for one minute that both those teams played badly last week but those sort of performances are the exception rather than the rule

How many "shockers" have they had over the last 5-7 years. When the acid has been really on and they needed to win important big games have they really failed? How many have we had in not the last 5-7 years but just the last 2 and succeeded?

Yes we've been consistent in our wins and our current ladder positions reflects it but we've also been very consistent in our losses and that's my concern. Hence, why I keep banging on about us needing 13 wins. One more heavy loss and our % takes a battering. Biggest concern for me this year with Richmond hasn't been who we have lost to but the margin in the losses. Outside the Freo game, our losses have been heavier this year against teams above us than last year.

You can argue that you won't be counting your chicken just yet until it is a certainty but I believe we have proven we are now a team that not only deserves to be playing finals but has proven it.

Fair call and you are correct until it's guaranteed no chickens will be counted

You say that even when we make the finals we won't be a finals team in yours eyes. Well when will we be?  When Cotch is holding the cup? I say celebrate the moment because, hell, life is a roller coaster and if you are always preparing for the worst you'll never enjoy the best.

I thought I explained that and I noticed you didn't answer my question about N0rt & Adelaide. One year in the finals and now about to miss, don't think we can refer to them as "finals teams".  ;D

But to answer your question I will see us as a "finals team" we are playing in September year after year. maybe I should have added the word Consistent

We play finals this year it will be fantastic but it would feel hollow if we back it up with missing out in 2014. However, we do it now and then back it up and play finals again 2014 and then yeah we can claim to be a finals team

Believe me no one will be celebrating more than me once we are guaranteed finals but until that point I will keep doing what I've been doing all this season and that's go to the games, enjoy watching the team play and see the improvement

We are a final team. Now we just have to get that last game to prove it to those scarred Tigers supporters refusing to let themselves possible get hurt again. Believe WP, Believe  :thumbsup

We need to get those 2 games  ;)

Great clubs play finals consistently and are Finals teams. That's what I want Richmond to be, it all I've ever wanted for Richmond. Hopefully in a few weeks time we will be on our way