Author Topic: General Soccer discussion.  (Read 153229 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
General Soccer discussion.
« on: July 24, 2013, 12:46:33 PM »
Assenal have finally sent in a new offer for Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, believed to be in excess of a club-record £40million.

Arsene Wenger had made the Uruguay international his top priority, especially after Real Madrid upped the price for Gonzalo Higuain at the very last minute and is pulling all the stops to bring the 26-year-old to the Emirates.

Any bid more than £40million, will trigger Suarez’s release clause, but the Gunners are reported to be offering an initial payment of £35million and a further £7million in add-ons.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/07/23/breaking-arsenal-lodge-42million-bid-for-suarez/
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:53:38 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: General Soccer discussion.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 02:01:32 PM »
Gareth Bale has been left distraught by the refusal of Daniel Levy, the Tottenham Hotspur chairman, to consider a world record €100m – £86.3m – offer from Real Madrid.

ale is horrified by Levy's intransigence. The chairman has a reputation as a tough negotiator but to Bale, the offer from Real is one that should be impossible to refuse. The world record transfer is Cristiano Ronaldo's £80m move to Real from Manchester United in 2009.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/27/gareth-bale-real-madrid-tottenham-hotspur
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:53:52 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 06:05:10 PM »
One eye

I demand you rename the thread association football or wogball not soccer

gerkin greg

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:20:33 PM »
I vote for keeping it as soccer.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:41:22 PM »
I vote for removing thread. It has about the same amount of action as a soccer game does

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 07:46:19 PM »
One eye

I demand you rename the thread association football or wogball not soccer
The word 'Soccer' is the abbreviation of Association Football. It's been around since the late 19th century in England when the game was first codified by the F.A. The English would take the first few letters and add -er to the end. So Association became Soc-c-er and Rugby became Rug-g-er. Rugger died out due to the 1895 Rugby split into Union and League but Soccer has survived in former English-speaking British colonies where it wasn't the dominant Football code. People who complain about the word Soccer clearly don't know the history of Association Football.

"Wogball" is an offensive term to mock the sport and was never used outside Australia.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 07:51:47 PM »
I was taught rugby was called rugby because it was invented in Rugby highschool  :-\

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »
A sandwich is called that because the Earl of Sandwich was hungry during a late night card game and ate a piece of meat between two pieces of bread.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »
I can confirm this is correct.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 08:58:27 PM »
 came into use.

Certainly the most famous story in lawn bowls is about Sir Francis Drake and the Spanish Armada. On July 19, 1588, Drake was involved in a game at Plymouth when he was notified that the Spanish Armada had been sighted. The tale says his response was, "There is plenty of time to win the game and thrash the Spaniards too." He then proceeded to finish his match and the British Navy soundly defeated the Armada. There is a lot of controversy as to whether this event actually took place.

: :yep

dwaino

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 10:35:53 PM »
came into use.

Certainly the most famous story in lawn bowls is about Sir Francis Drake and the Spanish Armada. On July 19, 1588, Drake was involved in a game at Plymouth when he was notified that the Spanish Armada had been sighted. The tale says his response was, "There is plenty of time to win the game and thrash the Spaniards too." He then proceeded to finish his match and the British Navy soundly defeated the Armada. There is a lot of controversy as to whether this event actually took place.

: :yep

Fun fact:
No crap, but Drake actually famously executed one of my ancestors for treason.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 10:40:04 PM »
Fun fact:

One of my Mum's ancestors hung some scrawny bloke on a cross but you don't see me bragging

dwaino

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 10:46:54 PM »
Fun fact:

One of my Mum's ancestors hung some scrawny bloke on a cross but you don't see me bragging

Pontius Pilote is very relevant to a wogger thread IMO.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 11:08:44 PM »
I was taught rugby was called rugby because it was invented in Rugby highschool  :-\
Yep that's right.

When the F.A. was formed in 1863 to come up with one agreed set of Football rules in England, it included Rugby rules delegates but they couldn't compromise and broke away from the F.A. in 1871 and Rugby remained a separate code of Football. The remaining F.A. delegates (Cambridge Rules and Sheffield Rules) were able to find a compromise between their two set of rules and created what we know as Soccer today - Association (rules) Football - in 1877.  Rugby itself then split in two when those advocating professional Rugby (mostly the Rugby playing working classes of Northern England) broke away to form Rugby League in 1895. The same schism occurred in Australian Rugby in 1908. An interesting historical footnote is if Rugby League didn't form in Sydney in 1908 then the working classes of Sydney would've switched to Aussie Rules and the Australian sporting landscape wouldn't have ended divided by the so-called Barassi line.

As for Soccer, British sailors, merchants and migrants took the game with them around the world and formed clubs even in non-English speaking countries which the locals embraced and those clubs have now gone on to become some of the biggest football clubs in the world - eg. AC Milan where the AC stands for Associazione Calcio (Association kick/football) and Milan is the English spelling of the Italian Milano; River Plate which was formed by Argentinians who saw British saliors playing Soccer on the Buenos Aires docks; Athletic Bilbao in Spain is another that keeps its English roots in its name.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 01:06:30 AM »
Man Utd have rejected Chelsea's 2nd bid for Rooney

Manchester United have rejected a second bid from Chelsea for striker Wayne Rooney, the club have confirmed.

Chelsea put forward an offer for the England forward on Sunday, thought to be around £25m plus add-ons that would take the deal towards somewhere near the £30m mark, but it was immediately rejected.

A United spokesman said: "A bid was received yesterday and immediately rejected. Our position remains that he is not for sale."

The second bid and United's swift response will now focus Rooney's mind on his future at Old Trafford – there have been reports that he will consider handing in an official transfer request. The Chelsea manager, José Mourinho, has made the 27-year-old his top transfer target and Rooney told the former United manager Sir Alex Ferguson last season that he wanted a move. Chelsea's goalkeeper Petr Cech has also welcomed the club's pursuit of Rooney.

David Moyes has repeatedly stressed that Rooney is not for sale. The player, however, was unimpressed by the manager's remarks that he would effectively have to be an understudy to Robin van Persie.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/05/wayne-rooney-man-united-chelsea