Author Topic: Winners mentality  (Read 1509 times)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Winners mentality
« on: June 04, 2005, 08:55:23 PM »
For the first time this season we have racked up consecutive losses. We all know the history of it, but if the few post match snippets of Plough from today's match are anything to go by, then something is being done about the loser mentality of the players at Punt Rd. Under Spud, we would have had the old lines trotted out about the boys "digging deep, fighting back and coming within a whisker". This type of optimism is overrated. Its cheap, it is primarily used as an alibi for people who are often accused as miserable, and it equates to lowering of standards. This lowering of the standards filtered through to the playing group over the last few seasons and needs to be remedied.

I really hope that in the next few days Plough emphasizes that to get to where we did, having the best team going on the ropes and not being able to land the knockout blow, despite who was missing from both lineups, is unacceptable. A 2 point loss from 30 points down shows some character, but is as useful as a 2 point loss from 30 points up or a 30 point loss.

Offline kendrick

• Tiger Rookie
Re: Winners mentality
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 08:58:45 PM »
True..

when interviewed on the radio...

Wallace said something along the lines of  "we lost, its not good enough and its going to be a sour note"... he never said anything about getting close to a top team..etc etc..

he did mention the umpiring though and the disgraceful decisions...

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 12:18:40 PM »
I really hope that in the next few days Plough emphasizes that to get to where we did, having the best team going on the ropes and not being able to land the knockout blow, despite who was missing from both lineups, is unacceptable. A 2 point loss from 30 points down shows some character, but is as useful as a 2 point loss from 30 points up or a 30 point loss.

Spot on Jake and I think that will be the message this week, actually I have no doubt that will be the message.

It wasn't the start that cost us, it was the 2nd qtr and allowing those 3 Eagles goals in the third. Richo had a chance to put us in front in third, missed got us a point and then the Eagles wen tbang, bang, bang.

The final quarter was one of the best of the season but at the end of it we lost and personally I am bitterly disappointed - BITTERLY
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 02:52:10 PM »
I'm not that disappointed at the loss.

The players threw everything they had at it in the second half. They couldn't have played better. The forward line worked well together without Browny and now look like they believe they can kick winning scores. I walked out of the ground pretty happy, 7-4 at the half way mark, 2 wins above what we achieved last year. What a tremendous improvement by the team.

It's TW's job to be angry at the players this week, not ours.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 03:40:00 PM »
The RFC members on the Southern stand wing clapped the side off the ground at the end. I'm sure Wallace would have given the boys the old "if I see one bloke happily get a pack on the back after walking out of here I'll spew" line from the "year of the dog" video.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 03:46:33 PM »
The RFC members on the Southern stand wing clapped the side off the ground at the end.

I didn't  >:(  ;)

It's TW's job to be angry at the players this week, not ours.

I had the pleasure of hearing Tezza speak at pre-match function (more on that later though i will admit I wanted to get out there and play ;D) and because of that believe me I was/am bitterly disappointed with the result. I share Tezza's disappointment, anger call it what you like
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 03:48:42 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 03:00:41 PM »
For the first time this season we have racked up consecutive losses. We all know the history of it, but if the few post match snippets of Plough from today's match are anything to go by, then something is being done about the loser mentality of the players at Punt Rd.

TW was on 3AW last night and was asked if he had given a spray yet.  TW said that he had the day before.  Didn’t elaborate too much, other than to say he thought 1 or 2 players might have been getting ahead of themselves and just wanted to make sure that wasn’t the case.  Said you can never be sure with these things, so it’s best just to nip it in the bud (and remove any doubt I suppose).
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 07:49:51 PM »
TW was on 3AW last night and was asked if he had given a spray yet.  TW said that he had the day before.  Didn’t elaborate too much, other than to say he thought 1 or 2 players might have been getting ahead of themselves and just wanted to make sure that wasn’t the case.  Said you can never be sure with these things, so it’s best just to nip it in the bud (and remove any doubt I suppose).

On ya TW  :thumbsup

Not losing games to interstate sides at the 'G has been something Terry has been on about all year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd