Author Topic: 2013 Brownlow Thread  (Read 4908 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 2013 Brownlow Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2013, 11:20:57 PM »
10:47 so after

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2013, 01:18:04 AM »
Brownlow special: If you don't mind, umpire!

Sam Landsberger, Mark Hayes
    September 24, 2013

UMPS DON’T CARE WHERE IT GOES
Shaun Grigg’s 21-disposal effort against the Dogs didn’t even get the former Blue a mention in the match report. Fair enough, you’d argue, given it included six clangers. So how on earth did he poll the three votes? And where was Ryan Griffen? The star Dog failed to poll despite a 38-disposal effort where he collected a game-high 143 SuperCoach points. It summed up Griffen’s night, who was forced to wait until Round 7 to earn recognition from the umpires.

GAZ CONQUERED BUT STILL REWARDED
THE umpires must have been mesmerised by the Dan Jackson-Gary Ablett match-up in Round 16. Despite the Tiger tagger claiming an impressive victory _ and deservingly pocketing maximum votes _ the men in colours still couldn’t leave out little Gaz. The Gold Coast champion pocketed one despite being ``held’’ to 26 disposals and no goals.

NUMBERS MAN
Trent Cotchin leapt to prominence in 2012 with his joint runner-up finish, but not many gave him much hope of being prominent again this year. But after three rounds, the Richmond skipper, who clearly gives minimal lip to the umps, was the leader with eight of a possible nine votes after the Tigers’ trifecta of wins to open the season.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/brownlow-special-if-you-dont-mind-umpire/story-fnfpguj3-1226725528506

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2013, 01:29:40 AM »
Club-by-Club votes

Sydney      95
Fremantle   90
Geelong      89
Hawthorn    83
Coll'wood    82
Richmond    81
North Melb. 77
Essendon    72
Carlton       71
Port Adel.   66
Adelaide     65
Brisbane     64
W.Bulldogs  63
Gold Coast  62
West Coast 53
St Kilda      42
GWS          17
Melbourne   16

Richmond votes

Trent Cotchin 19
Dustin Martin  16
Brett Deledio  10
Daniel Jackson 9
Brandon Ellis    5
Shaun Grigg    5
Bachar Houli    5
Jack Riewoldt  4
Aaron Edwards 2
Alex Rance      2
Matt White      2
Tyrone Vickery 1
Nick Vlastuin     1

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/brownlow-medal/2013-brownlow-medal-clubbyclub-votes-20130924-2uam3.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2013, 07:12:11 AM »
Ablett wins by one vote.

in a side where he basically has no competition and where he basically gets all the 3s. what a joke.

He deserved to win cannot dispute that

But how he continues to poll votes in games where is actually beaten (rarely) by an opponent is an indictment on the umpires

He got 1 vote against us and Jacko (his direct opponent) got the 3 votes. Jacko beat him on the day. So how does that work exactly  :-\

Then you go to our game against Freo in Perth (the lost by a point game) and not one Tiger gets a vote? Were we at the same game umpires
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:40:46 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2013, 08:11:10 AM »
Dane Swan looked very agitated when he lost  ;D Very happy Selwood will never win a Brownlow  :lol
Trent Cotchin wil be the next Brownlow medallist. place your bets  :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2013, 08:41:25 AM »
Dane Swan looked very agitated when he lost  ;D

Think it had more to do with his glass being almost empty  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
Ablett wins by one vote.

in a side where he basically has no competition and where he basically gets all the 3s. what a joke.

Brownlow don't have nothing to do with being the best man in a team. Its counted on the 3 top players from over 40+ players. Winning only 8 games for the year just shows how great a player Ablett Jnr really is. Being able to take votes against a winning side is a great effort.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2013, 09:47:06 AM »
Dane Swan looked very agitated when he lost  ;D

Think it had more to do with his glass being almost empty  ;D

Was watching that through the night WP, Swan and his partner were not holding back!   :lol

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2013, 10:32:09 AM »
i personally think Swan is a breath of fresh air.

Love watching his attitude especially on brownlow night

Its an award that ranks very low in my eyes since its being judged by a group of men who can hardly umpire a game let alone judge best afield.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2013, 10:43:09 AM »
Ablett wins by one vote.

He deserved to win cannot dispute that

But how he continues to poll votes in games where is actually beaten (rarely) by an opponent is an indictment on the umpires

He got 1 vote against us and Jacko (his direct opponent) got the 3 votes. Jacko beat him on the day. So how does that work exactly  :-\

Then you go to our game against Freo in Perth (the lost by a point game) and not one Tiger gets a vote? Were we at the same game umpires

As I understand it, the umpires check stats etc. after a game then make their decisions.

If we had won by one point, would we have had 3 players get votes? 1 player? Do the umpires take the result into consideration?

Has there ever been a game which the winning side didn't have a vote getter?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2013, 10:51:11 AM »
i personally think Swan is a breath of fresh air.

Love watching his attitude especially on brownlow night

Its an award that ranks very low in my eyes since its being judged by a group of men who can hardly umpire a game let alone judge best afield.
:lol
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Crazy_Ivan

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2013, 10:56:59 AM »
Just goes to show,The Umps have no idea or are instructed to give votes to those players who are in the top echelon of the comp for the sake of the image of the AFL.
Jackson should have been our leading vote getter by a country mile. And Crowley would have the leading votes overall.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2013, 11:27:40 AM »
Just goes to show,The Umps have no idea or are instructed to give votes to those players who are in the top echelon of the comp for the sake of the image of the AFL.
Jackson should have been our leading vote getter by a country mile. And Crowley would have the leading votes overall.

Jackson & Crowley are hitmen  ;D you cant be serious that they would get anywhere near sniffing the brownlow or shake the hand of the winners  :lol

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2013, 11:30:02 AM »

Prove Jackson is an overrated dud

If be wins b and f its a joke

Charity

I thought he was going to win the brown low going by how people are crspping on about him

tony_montana

« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2013, 11:36:10 AM »

I thought Jackson was being overrated by our supporters and the media in the first half of the season, was pretty average, in the 2nd half of the season he started resembling a footballer. On the other side of the coin, Martin, Lids and Cotch's performances were underrated as we expect so much from them