Author Topic: Tiger Finals? You bet - We're moving back to melbourne!  (Read 2594 times)

1980 I Was There

Tiger Finals? You bet - We're moving back to melbourne!
« on: August 14, 2013, 10:30:31 PM »
I was born and bred in Melbourne and moved to QLD in 1981 maybe 1982 can't quite remember.
Anyway I was only 12 or 14 years old and didn't have a choice, had to go.

Long sad sad story of a crappy life to a short wonderful version of now with my wife and 3 tiger cubs. We have decided to move (for me) back to Melbourne, literally for one reason, FOOTY and the TIGERS.
I would have made the move years ago, but never had money.

The wife wanted to get out of where we are now, which is where she had lived her whole life, so she's happy to get out and Melbourne seemed like a logical place for all of us to go.

We decided at the start of the year to make the move to Melbourne and WOW how the Tigers have lifted and made the finals. Unfortunately I won't be there for the finals, as we won't be down there until Nov/Dec.

But that's ok, because the Tigers are here to stay in the top 8 for a very very long time. What a great time to make the move.

I must admit it's been tuff being a Tigers supporter in QLD.
I once lived in a hole oops place called gympie and wearin ya Tiger footy jumper to pub up there, well was pretty damn scary, but I didn't care, I am a one eyed Tigers supporter.

I miss the days when I was a young fella, gettin the footy gear on, going down to the train station and asking the train guy for a ticket to where ever the Tigers were playing (I never knew where they were playing, I just followed yellow and black jumpers). I was always fascinated at how they always knew where we were playin (I was only a young fella  :laugh: )

The train trips home were pretty scary, but the older Tiger supporters, who didn't even know you would protect you, I wonder if it's still like that today?

Anyway I can't wait to get home and start enjoying the footy again.

That's why I came on this website, to maybe make a few mates to go to the footy with or just catch up and jabber on about, you guessed it THE MIGHTY TIGES.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tiger Finals? You bet - We're moving back to melbourne!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 10:37:13 PM »
The train trips home were pretty scary, but the older Tiger supporters, who didn't even know you would protect you, I wonder if it's still like that today?

Ask WP about that one

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:40:33 PM »

Ask WP about that one

Why me?

I haven't caught a train for over 20 years let alone a train to the footy  :-\
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:47:39 PM »
Didn't you have a train story

dwaino

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »
Tough enough following footy in QLD let alone the Tiges. Similar story, moved there in the 80s when I was pretty young with my mum and dad. Been back in Melbourne for 5 years now and still loving it.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 10:53:39 PM »

Yes but it was from over 30 years ago, you may have missed that minor point when I referred to being a kid at the time

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 10:56:01 PM »

Yes but it was from over 30 years ago, you may have missed that minor point when I referred to being a kid at the time

Chill out sooky la la I was kidding...

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 10:57:51 PM »

Chill out sooky la la I was kidding...

Just answering your question that's all. That's OK isn't it?  :rollin

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 08:53:27 AM »
Did someone throw a beer in your face on that train

Ruanaidh

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 09:19:19 AM »
I was born and bred in Melbourne and moved to QLD in 1981 maybe 1982 can't quite remember.

We decided at the start of the year to make the move to Melbourne and WOW how the Tigers have lifted and made the finals. Unfortunately I won't be there for the finals, as we won't be down there until Nov/Dec.

There goes the neighbourhood  :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:53:16 PM by Ruanaidh »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 10:34:59 AM »
Did someone throw a beer in your face on that train

No - I had a pathetic drunk supporter throw up on me at Jolimont Station when I was about 14  >:(

But it was my fault should have smashed the bloke right  :huh

Beer in the face was at Etihad last season - which for memory you and if not you others thought was hilarious

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 10:39:33 AM »
LMFAO

gerkin greg

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 10:40:04 AM »
 :lol

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 11:55:40 AM »
Anyway I was only 12 or 14 years old and didn't have a choice, had to go.

Long sad sad story of a crappy life to a short wonderful version of now with my wife and 3 tiger cubs. We have decided to move (for me) back to Melbourne, literally for one reason, FOOTY and the TIGERS.
I would have made the move years ago, but never had money.

The wife wanted to get out of where we are now, which is where she had lived her whole life, so she's happy to get out and Melbourne seemed like a logical place for all of us to go.

But that's ok, because the Tigers are here to stay in the top 8 for a very very long time. What a great time to make the move.

I must admit it's been tuff being a Tigers supporter in QLD.
I once lived in a hole oops place called gympie and wearin ya Tiger footy jumper to pub up there, well was pretty damn scary, but I didn't care, I am a one eyed Tigers supporter.

I miss the days when I was a young fella, gettin the footy gear on, going down to the train station and asking the train guy for a ticket to where ever the Tigers were playing (I never knew where they were playing, I just followed yellow and black jumpers). I was always fascinated at how they always knew where we were playin (I was only a young fella  :laugh: )

Anyway I can't wait to get home and start enjoying the footy again.

That's why I came on this website, to maybe make a few mates to go to the footy with or just catch up and jabber on about, you guessed it THE MIGHTY TIGES.

Not the same story but I moved to NSW in 1982 so it was hard to get to games and basicaly only saw my Tigers once a year when they came to the SCG. Even that wasnt the same as when you would go to the game in the 80's at the SCG you could pick a stand to sit in not just a seat. The ones that were there didnt even know the rules.  Still only get to live games once or twice a year now but at least living in Vic now I have plenty of other Tigers to talk to. Things like wearing my full Tigers outfit to darts the other night where I new I would be playing against a Bris supporter makes it so much better.

Welcome to OER, and I hope you get to meet some of the colourfull personalites we have here.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

1980 I Was There

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 06:45:36 PM »
Not the same story but I moved to NSW in 1982 so it was hard to get to games and basicaly only saw my Tigers once a year when they came to the SCG. Even that wasnt the same as when you would go to the game in the 80's at the SCG you could pick a stand to sit in not just a seat. The ones that were there didnt even know the rules.  Still only get to live games once or twice a year now but at least living in Vic now I have plenty of other Tigers to talk to. Things like wearing my full Tigers outfit to darts the other night where I new I would be playing against a Bris supporter makes it so much better.

Welcome to OER, and I hope you get to meet some of the colourfull personalites we have here.
Cheers for the welcome Fluffy Tiger.
Glad to see ya back in the mix to be where all Tigers should be.

Can't wait to cross the border to be back to where I truly belong.

First thing I do when I get to Melbourne is to go back down to punt road and sit and look for awhile.