Author Topic: Tigers look to rest some key players (Age)  (Read 3942 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers look to rest some key players (Age)
« on: August 19, 2013, 03:47:51 AM »
Tigers look to rest some key players

Matt Murnane
    The Age
    August 19, 2013

Richmond could rest key players for Sunday's rebound game against Greater Western Sydney despite positive injury news for spearhead Jack Riewoldt and captain Trent Cotchin.

With their team to play finals for the first time in more than a decade, Richmond supporters looked on with concern on Saturday when Riewoldt landed awkwardly from a marking contest and hyperextended his knee late in the loss against Carlton at the MCG.

However, scans on Sunday cleared the star goalkicker of any structural damage to his right knee.

Although the club said Riewoldt would come into selection calculations if he gets through training this week, it seems likely the recently re-signed forward will sit out the game against the bottom-placed Giants at Skoda Stadium.
Advertisement

Cotchin suffered a bruised shin against the Blues and also could be rested, even if available, along with defenders Chris Newman (ankle), Ricky Petterd (hamstring) and perhaps forward Matt White (hamstring) as coach Damien Hardwick looks to manage his list in the final two weeks before finals.

''We've just got some players that we've got to manage at this time of the year and you'd rather take the one week [out] than two or three if you push the envelope with them,'' he said.

''Most sides are going through management issues at this time of the year and we're probably no different.''

White was a late withdrawal on Saturday because of hamstring soreness and will face a fitness test, but it is likely the club will take every precaution given fellow small forwards Jake King and Shane Edwards are both set to return from hamstring complaints.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-look-to-rest-some-key-players-20130818-2s583.html#ixzz2cLOHLpla

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers look to rest some key players (Age)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 09:20:11 AM »
Tissue paper Petterd.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »
Don't think we should be doing any resting, not sure we are good enough to be doing it to be honest

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:16:47 AM »
I think we should. Once we beat GWS we will finish 5 - 7 which will almost certainly guarantee us a game at the MCG.

IMO we should rest -

GWS -  Jack, Cotch

Essendon - Maric, Floss & Morris

I wouldn't bring Petterd back in regardless and give Grimes one more game to prove his fitness/form or leave him out for finals this year.

White, King, Edwards and Newman should play only when 100%. I would bring Edwards and King back this week and drop McDonough.

Maric needs a break before finals. He wasn't jumping from the 2nd quarter on which was telling in the stoppage/clearances results on the weekend. Bring in the Big O for the Essendon game which will be a dead rubber.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:23:33 AM »
Don't think we should be doing any resting, not sure we are good enough to be doing it to be honest

But we've hit the magic number  ;D and can't miss finals, so I don't see the harm.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 11:41:01 AM »

But we've hit the magic number  ;D and can't miss finals, so I don't see the harm.

;D

You look to rest players 6-7 weeks out from finals, that's what the good teams do.

Geelong's been doing it for a long time. Round the bye and the 3-4 weeks after that they rest players but you rarely see them resting blokes 3 weeks out from finals. Hawkins is the exception because with a crook back a 4 hour flight to Perth wouldn't have been smart. But overall they rest players mid year and then get conitunuity into their players in the month leading up to finals

And as I said first up I don't think we a good enough side to be doing it, we need to playing our best side leading into the finals so we have that continuity rather than chopping and changing

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 11:45:13 AM »
Yeah but the good teams usually have finals guaranteed by mid year. I just reckon we can rest only the players that genuinely need it like Reiwoldt (don't push the knee like Cotchin), Cotchin (don't push his knee again), Maric and whoever else has a pretty bad niggle

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 11:50:54 AM »
Yeah but the good teams usually have finals guaranteed by mid year. I just reckon we can rest only the players that genuinely need it like Reiwoldt (don't push the knee like Cotchin), Cotchin (don't push his knee again), Maric and whoever else has a pretty bad niggle

But I got told by some after we had won 10 games we were a lock for finals this year so we should have started then ;D

Agree about Jack not because he needs the rest but because I don't think he will be fit to play. Reckon the swelling needs to be completely gone.

And correct me if I am wrong but I think he can still have swelling internally even if the external swelling has gone?

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 12:52:37 PM »

:fishing

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 01:00:06 PM »
i would of thought weeks leading up to finals you would trying to play players into form. ::)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 01:30:14 PM »

But I got told by some after we had won 10 games we were a lock for finals this year so we should have started then ;D

Agree about Jack not because he needs the rest but because I don't think he will be fit to play. Reckon the swelling needs to be completely gone.

And correct me if I am wrong but I think he can still have swelling internally even if the external swelling has gone?

That's where you're wrong, you can't believe us people on OER we have more mood swings than we care to admit ;D.

I hope Jack would be fit to play but gets rested ;D. You are correct though about internal swelling not necessarily being seen. I did something similar with hyperextending my knee and it looked and felt structurally fine so I had a short break came back and did it again to find out I just had a slight tear in my fat pad underneath my patella which had swelled right up but as I said, it looked and felt fine (felt as in no ligament weakness when bending and twisting).

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 01:31:05 PM »

:fishing

Not so much fishing, just a bit of banter  ;D

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 01:33:34 PM »
i would of thought weeks leading up to finals you would trying to play players into form. ::)

It's been 12 years, we have forgotten how to prepare for finals!  :lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 01:35:51 PM »
That's where you're wrong, you can't believe us people on OER we have more mood swings than we care to admit ;D.

:lol

I hope Jack would be fit to play but gets rested ;D. You are correct though about internal swelling not necessarily being seen. I did something similar with hyperextending my knee and it looked and felt structurally fine so I had a short break came back and did it again to find out I just had a slight tear in my fat pad underneath my patella which had swelled right up but as I said, it looked and felt fine (felt as in no ligament weakness when bending and twisting).

Thanks  :thumbsup

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 01:59:52 PM »
Petterd can't get through a game without getting injured. Delist
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH