Author Topic: Best news on a Monday / Richmond debt-free by end of year; revenue up $3m (AFR)  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Bateman

• Jack Dyer medallist
Enjoy.

Richmond on course to being debt-free by end of year, revenue up $3m
By John Stensholt
Australian Financial Review
September 2, 2013

Richmond is set to post a net profit of more than $3 million as it ­competes in its first AFL finals series since 2001. ­Revenue is forecast to top $40 million, up from $37 million last year, and the club will be debt free by the end of 2013.

There are now more than 60,000 members and Richmond’s average home crowds of almost 47,000 make it the second most popular club in the AFL behind only Collingwood.

Richmond’s last game of the regular season on Saturday night, a victory over Essendon, the club at the centre of the AFL drugs scandal, saw the number of spectators watching all its matches this week go past the one million mark.

Club chief executive Brendon Gale says the strong financial position and on-field success is a long way from the “ridicule” Richmond received from the football industry when he took on his role near the end of the 2009 ­season. The following year the club released an ambitious five-year strategic plan with a “3-0-75” headline, which stood for the ambition of playing three finals series by 2014, having zero debt and 75,000 members. It also came as Richmond’s top six sponsors left the club.

“We were ridiculed for those targets,” Gale says. “But here we are a few years later and we will have no debt by the end of this year, we will play finals and we are aiming for and expecting to play finals again next year. And we have got to 60,000 members and will give 75,000 a really good shake next year.”

Club major sponsor Jeep has just renewed its contract, worth more than $1 million annually, through to the end of the 2017 season, while in August ­Suncorp’s Bingle online insurance brand extended its deal for another three years .

Gale says the club has also chosen not to renew its contract to play a game annually against Gold Coast in Cairns, which was worth $500,000 every year to Richmond. Now its financial position is such that Richmond does not need the financial incentive of selling games interstate and will play all its home games in Melbourne next year.

The club has also raised $6 million through its Fighting Tigers Fund in the past three years, to pay for infrastructure improvements at its headquarters at Punt Road Oval in the shadows of the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

“We brought in a new coach and new management with an agenda of transformational change,” Gale says. “We’ve also got a strong physical indication of our rebuilding [with the refurbishment of Punt Road Oval]. The past few years this organisation has been about changing its culture and setting a series of goals that we have delivered on.”

The refurbishment includes the adjoining Korin Gamadji Institute, an indigenous training centre the club helped establish and administer. The institute has provided vocational training for 2500 young indigenous people since its doors opened 18 months ago.

Government funding helped build the premises, but Gale says the club is now almost solely reliant on football operations for its ­revenue. He says the next stage for Punt Road is further upgrades so it can host VFL matches for its feeder team. Plans also include hosting functions and conferences.

Otherwise, the club is investigating finding more non-football revenue, such as a gaming facility, to off-set any dip in membership numbers or on-field performance. “We’ve been investing in our football department from our core football revenue, and haven’t been ­relying on other places like gaming,” Gale says.

“That has been good, and we’ve gone from being average 14th in the AFL in football spending to ninth, but we’ve got the balance sheet at a stage now we could make other investments.”

Although the club has gained respect under highly regarded coach Damien Hardwick, Gale believes it is vital for the team to continue to have on-field success. He says this year’s finals appearance needs to be repeated in the next few years.

“That is the expectation we have,” Gale says. “We have to break that cycle of having a good year and then not. We have not played in many back to back finals series since [the early to mid 1970s]. We hope and expect to do that this time.”

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/richmond_year_course_revenue_being_1AGNCuRV05aDhoIIvUhE6M
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:58:20 PM by one-eyed »

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Best news on a Monday
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:05:42 AM »
:thumbsup

:cheers
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 10:48:10 AM »
Interesting that almost all of our revenue is football related. We really have very little investments or finances generated from any other source. I was happy to hear that we will be exploring that now that we have the football related investments almost fully secured including the Punt Rd facilities/ground.

Even though it has risen from the very low point of 14th, I thought our football spending would have been higher than 9th this year. A great deal of potential improvement still to come.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:37:29 AM »
Could get better when Buddy gets done and Hawks become our semi opponent.  :cheers

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
www.heraldsun.com.au/...essendons...mil...
Aug 14, 2013 - ESSENDON will be forced to increase its $5 million debt

What a joke of an organization dragging down rich clubs like richmond

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
I thought we were already debt free?

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
one word, whoa :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Kinda makes me emotional tbh.

I hope this is the beginning of an era of success that pretty much never ends. Cant possibly sink the club again like they did in the 80's.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
We knew all this like a month ago. Slow news day
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

No

Debt free by the end of this season was what they announced during the middle of this season

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Will be another 1mn in the kick if we run deep into September, $300 dollar lunch and tickets are sellouts , plenty more where that comes from :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame

No

Debt free by the end of this season was what they announced during the middle of this season
Maybe they worded it poorly.  ::)