Author Topic: Wallace floats father-son changes  (Read 1829 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace floats father-son changes
« on: June 10, 2005, 04:48:46 PM »
Wallace floats father-son changes
2:06:31 PM Fri 10 June, 2005
Jason Phelan
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace has floated the idea of an overhaul of the father-son rule because he believes it can offer too great an advantage to some clubs in its current form.

"I think the father-son rule is a good idea," Wallace said after training at Punt Road on Friday.

"I'm just not convinced about the manner in which it's placed at the moment - I think that it's a massive advantage.

"We've seen sides that have had two, three and four great father/son players all in the same sort of time - it's a huge advantage."

Wallace used his own club's situation at the last draft to illustrate his point and also floated an idea he believed would make the rule fairer.

"We could have had pick one, pick four and Travis Cloke as a third round selection - I'm not sure whether that's biting too much off," Wallace said.

"I'm a little bit of the belief that there ought to be somebody who sits - or a panel that sits - to determine … what that player's worth is.

"There's people that know - people involved with the AIS and the AFL - that know these guys intimately, would know whether they're a first round selection or whether they're a second round selection and that's adjudicated accordingly."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=208651