Author Topic: Matt Thomas [merged]  (Read 33968 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Matt Thomas - 100 games [merged]
« Reply #405 on: August 10, 2014, 01:02:03 PM »
Rance doesn't need Chaplin...

No doubt rance makes Chaplin look better. Cause rance is a gun.

Does Chaplin actilly make rance life easier?

More so than frawley or astbury or Grimes

Wrong thread dude

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #406 on: August 10, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »

If you seriously beleive that the undeasrmers were not getting gifted games earlier in the season then no one will convince you otherwise. Griffiths' form went down the tiolet and he got dropped, Chaplin's form was woeful but he continued to be played. Shouldn't the same rules apply to all players, it shouldn't be about reputation

So sorry Stripes by playing blokes out of form becaus eof past deeds then you are playing fovourites. BTW comments by our Coach on a week by week basis prove that they are.

I'm not going to deny that many of them were out of form but the reason for this is because of the absent players around them. Chaplin needs Rance in the backline. His strength is not a one on one but he reads the play beautifully and is always composed when he moves the ball forward. He also marshals the troops in the backline, directing them to their positions. He gives the side experience and leadership. Again he fulfills an important role in the side which others struggle to fill.Stripes

Why does Chaplin NEED rance?

And yet Rance would be fine without Chaplin?

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:14:03 AM by Judge Roughneck »

the claw

« Reply #407 on: August 10, 2014, 10:55:24 PM »

if thomas is such a dud how on earth does he continue to take games off the likes of arnot helbig etc. simply put hes out performed them and earnt his spot. 

That you actually have asked the question is either simple a worry or you really don't follow this club that closely at all.

But to help you out I will literally spell it out for you !

F_A_V_O_U_R_I_T_E_S

Get it? Favourites

Thomas is one, like so many others who continue to be played you know the ones.... the players that you; yourself label as DUDS who continually get gifted games while kids in the VFL named in the best week after week get overlooked... That's not out performing them, it's called playing favourites which has been the one consistent feature at the selection table all season 2014
na the real worry is a bloke who refuses to acknowledge when a player is better performed than his own favorites.

understand this. matt thomas has earnt his spot unlike most.  if you think thomas has underperfrmed so far you are deluded.yes he has his limitations and weaknesses. but if  players stood up in the first half of the yr thomas was one of em.
fair dinkum ive read some out and out driblle oin this forum and to be honest i expected if not better from you at least more objectivity.
oh and seeing as hes come off a shocker against essendon i will get in first and say yes hes had a howler.

for me we should aim for more well rounded players than thomas but he most certainly has outperformed most of the hacks.
id go as far to say he given us everything and more that we should have expected from a mature aged rookie selection. what the hell were you after gary ablett.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #408 on: August 10, 2014, 11:57:00 PM »

if thomas is such a dud how on earth does he continue to take games off the likes of arnot helbig etc. simply put hes out performed them and earnt his spot. 

That you actually have asked the question is either simple a worry or you really don't follow this club that closely at all.

But to help you out I will literally spell it out for you !

F_A_V_O_U_R_I_T_E_S

Get it? Favourites

Thomas is one, like so many others who continue to be played you know the ones.... the players that you; yourself label as DUDS who continually get gifted games while kids in the VFL named in the best week after week get overlooked... That's not out performing them, it's called playing favourites which has been the one consistent feature at the selection table all season 2014
na the real worry is a bloke who refuses to acknowledge when a player is better performed than his own favorites.

understand this. matt thomas has earnt his spot unlike most.  if you think thomas has underperfrmed so far you are deluded.yes he has his limitations and weaknesses. but if  players stood up in the first half of the yr thomas was one of em.
fair dinkum ive read some out and out driblle oin this forum and to be honest i expected if not better from you at least more objectivity.
oh and seeing as hes come off a shocker against essendon i will get in first and say yes hes had a howler.

for me we should aim for more well rounded players than thomas but he most certainly has outperformed most of the hacks.
id go as far to say he given us everything and more that we should have expected from a mature aged rookie selection. what the hell were you after gary ablett.
you just like him cos he's from sa
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #409 on: August 11, 2014, 01:55:47 AM »
I actually agree with Claw. Definitely not the worst with plenty deserving the flick before him early in the season. His form has slowly declined though and I reckon that was just a purple patch for him and we'll now see what we can expect from him.

Gigantor

« Reply #410 on: August 11, 2014, 03:20:25 AM »
what puzzles me is that the players themselves throughout the year have constantly said the club has stood by its policy of rewarding good form.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #411 on: August 11, 2014, 07:08:46 AM »

Nah what's a worry is people either refusing to read entire posts or latching onto only part of a post to try and back up their argument. Refuse to read any further debate between posters on the subject. And then for good measure throwing in a cheap little snipe because someone dares to disagree to with them.

And just on your last comment re Ablett. Er no I wasn't expecting Ablett but what I was expecting is that they would reward people on the rookie list who showed good form in the entire pre-season. The fact they promoted Thomas ahead of Miles was and still is a staggering decision. Why? because I think Miles offers more a lot more than Thomas both short term and more importantly long term. And despite the Clubs stubbornness to admit it; it was pretty clear pre-season 

So finally we will agree to disagree, nothing more nothing less

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #412 on: August 11, 2014, 08:10:40 AM »
Mate there was nothing too wrong with Thomas pre season form , he was dominating every praccy match, was a no brainer promoting him considering Jackson and tuck were needed to be replaced from r 1. The bigger q is why promote big o if they were never inclined to play him
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #413 on: August 11, 2014, 08:58:43 AM »

Nah what's a worry is people either refusing to read entire posts or latching onto only part of a post to try and back up their argument. Refuse to read any further debate between posters on the subject. And then for good measure throwing in a cheap little snipe because someone dares to disagree to with them.

And just on your last comment re Ablett. Er no I wasn't expecting Ablett but what I was expecting is that they would reward people on the rookie list who showed good form in the entire pre-season. The fact they promoted Thomas ahead of Miles was and still is a staggering decision. Why? because I think Miles offers more a lot more than Thomas both short term and more importantly long term. And despite the Clubs stubbornness to admit it; it was pretty clear pre-season 

So finally we will agree to disagree, nothing more nothing less

Havent we been over this before, both Miles and Thomas had good pre seasons but Miles had a bad one just before the promotion decision.

I am fairly sure that no one on here definitively said at the time it was the wrong decision, in fact most posters were talking up Thomas's tackling and mongrel which he has lived up to.

The hindsight Helens on this forum are unbelieveable sometimes

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #414 on: August 11, 2014, 09:43:42 AM »
Just to go a bit further, I reviewed the start of the Anthony Miles thread.

And apart from the unbelievable and now funny posts from Jackstar bagging Miles as a bum, while people were saying that Miles should have been promoted, they werent saying it should have been over Thomas.

Just saying.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #415 on: August 11, 2014, 09:46:40 AM »
griffiths, astbury and thomas killed it vs the drug cheats @ punt road on the eve of the season

miles i thought was on the bench a lot and under used that game

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #416 on: August 11, 2014, 10:22:47 AM »
griffiths, astbury and thomas killed it vs the drug cheats @ punt road on the eve of the season

miles i thought was on the bench a lot and under used that game
Miles did not play in that game. He played at Victoria Park with the seconds and was continually being rotated of the bench. It was shocking coaching that day.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #417 on: August 11, 2014, 10:24:23 AM »
there was a miles looking kid definite playing on the bench alot

could of been ohnalon

i maintain thomas was outstanding consistently smashing drug cheats like a man possessed. was good to watch from close quarters

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #418 on: August 11, 2014, 10:45:16 AM »
The bigger q is why promote big o if they were never inclined to play him

Scary thought but I agree with you

Havent we been over this before, both Miles and Thomas had good pre seasons but Miles had a bad one just before the promotion decision.

I am fairly sure that no one on here definitively said at the time it was the wrong decision, in fact most posters were talking up Thomas's tackling and mongrel which he has lived up to.

The hindsight Helens on this forum are unbelieveable sometimes

Chuck, reckon you will find I am on record as saying they should have promoted Miles ahead of Thomas before the season started. So I haven't deviated from that view, others may have but I haven't  :thumbsup  ;D

Yes Thomas has mongrel, attacks a contest but his decision making and disposal are average at best. Matt Thomas is like a lot of other players on our list he is good when he plays within his limitations, sadly IMESHO he doesn't do it often enough, tries to do too much and it ends up hurting the team

Can I add his lack of 2nd efforts on Friday night in the chasing stackes (which is a strength of his BTW) espeically in the 3rd qtr before he got subbed were very disappointing  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #419 on: August 11, 2014, 11:53:14 AM »
Thomas has been pretty good this year. I'd like to see him upgraded asap but until then the side needs his grunt. However , if puts in another game like he did on Friday night he should be dropped. In fact he was so poor that he may get dropped anyway.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos